Dino on GHA?

Dweezilz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm not having issues as of now but I seem to have either 0 phosphate or less than 0.04. 13.5 Nitrate. Getting a Phosphorus ULR to be sure. I just started getting GHA in my 6m old 65g tank. Today in looking at the GHA under scope I see a couple suspicious round items that look similar to the rare dino Amphidinium. It's hard to tell. Maybe it isn't a dino but looks close. If it is, there aren't many cells as I've sampled dozens of spots in my 65g and this is the first few I've seen. Is this a Dino? If so is there any action to take if there are very few of them in the entire tank?

20230311_125206.jpg

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm not having issues as of now but I seem to have either 0 phosphate or less than 0.04. 13.5 Nitrate. Getting a Phosphorus ULR to be sure. I just started getting GHA in my 6m old 65g tank. Today in looking at the GHA under scope I see a couple suspicious round items that look similar to the rare dino Amphidinium. It's hard to tell. Maybe it isn't a dino but looks close. If it is, there aren't many cells as I've sampled dozens of spots in my 65g and this is the first few I've seen. Is this a Dino? If so is there any action to take if there are very few of them in the entire tank?

20230311_125206.jpg

There is nothing abnormal about diatoms, dinoflagellates and cyanobacteria - the big three uglies - living in an aquarium. All three can be seen on hair algae filaments.

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of those are diatoms, and like Dan says, those pics don't indicate a problem to my eye.

OP
OP
Dweezilz

Dweezilz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah definitely mostly diatoms. Just that round thing moving that looks like a dino. I'll ignore it for now as you guys said, seems pretty normal.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 36 34.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 22 21.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 29 27.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back