Dino on my rocks

Michael v

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had cyano out break used chemiclean and eradicated that. Now I still have the long string things on my rocks. I haven’t lost any snails or anything but I’m a little worried it might take off and go crazy. My nitrate level is 10ppm my phosphate is 0.78. I’m running a protein skimmer, carbon reactor and algae scrubber. My tank is 65 gallons with a 20 gallon sump. I’ve been doing a 12 gallon water change weekly. I ordered a bottle of Dino X. Wonder if I just go ahead a dose as prescribed. I don’t want to get a microscope to identify because I’m not a scientist. I really don’t want to throw money into something I’ll only use once. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Attachments

• 60107568392__A4A6E28B-340A-4CE5-9B87-684D7CF7E0F4.MOV
    812.4 KB

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you bought dino x then I'd just use that. Some have success with UV too

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure I see dinos in that video. The strings look white to me, not like the brown, stringy, bubbly snot I am accustomed to seeing. In any case, if you have any SPS coral then DO NOT use Dino-X.

It is too late for me to say don't use Chemiclean. Yes, it temporarily removes cyano but then one of two things happen next: a) Dinos -just search chemiclean on R2R there are so many posts with this outcome or b) Cyano comes back

Could be dinos but I cannot see them. To get a proper ID for dinos, I suggest you go here:

This is the mother and father thread of dinoflagellates.

OP
OP
Michael v

Michael v

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure I see dinos in that video. The strings look white to me, not like the brown, stringy, bubbly snot I am accustomed to seeing. In any case, if you have any SPS coral then DO NOT use Dino-X.

It is too late for me to say don't use Chemiclean. Yes, it temporarily removes cyano but then one of two things happen next: a) Dinos -just search chemiclean on R2R there are so many posts with this outcome or b) Cyano comes back

Could be dinos but I cannot see them. To get a proper ID for dinos, I suggest you go here:

This is the mother and father thread of dinoflagellates.
Thank you for all the useful information I think I’ll take a step back and see what happens. My nitrate and phosphates dropped to zero when I ran bio pellets. I then got the cyano out break. Now my nitrate is back up and my phosphate is a little high. I’ll try to to bring my levels to a safe spot. My tank is just over a year old and haven’t started corals yet. I forget the golden rule Patients. Thanks for your help

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 116 87.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back