Dino or cyano?

terrell wohlrab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need some help ID'ng this so I can take proper action. I believe it's the same stuff that caused my first tank rebuild because it was so bad and now it's back. I want to get this out quick before it takes over again

Amonia- showing at or near 0(cheap test strips)
Nitrates-25ppm
Nitrites-10ppm
Salinity 1.025
Temp- between79-81°

0519172235.jpg

0519172236a.jpg

0519172236.jpg

Mombo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Arnt Nitrites suppose to be 0 always?

And Nitrates seem high.

Otherwise not sure as I am new. Hopefully Ammonia is at 0 and not near 0 haha. How old is the tank? Did it complete its cycle yet?

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea that could be a minor Dino.

Pretty weird you still have ammonia and nitrites.

I'm guessing you don't have clean up crew in there yet.

How old is the tank build. Are you using rodi?

OP
OP
T

terrell wohlrab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea that could be a minor Dino.

Pretty weird you still have ammonia and nitrites.

I'm guessing you don't have clean up crew in there yet.

How old is the tank build. Are you using rodi?

My cleanup is just a Mexican snail. And 3 small hermits. Tank is roughly 6 months old. I use RO water from my local grocery store

laxman05

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Def dino - Looks like you will have to do a lights out! Mine decided to come out when I changed my t5 out - forgot to slowly introduce a bulb at a time. Make sure you run carbon too as they release toxins when they die off

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My cleanup is just a Mexican snail. And 3 small hermits. Tank is roughly 6 months old. I use RO water from my local grocery store
It's very likey the water is killing off your bacteria stunting your cycle. With tap water and bottled water it's really a 50/50 if it's going to work. Plus it amay still have stuff that may feed the organisim we may think is dinos. It very well could be diatoms.
If the bacteria isn't processing nutrints well sometimes other organisims will take over like that.
I don't check around town and see if anyone offers true rodi it's usually not that much more expensive.
And yea you should run some carbon and try to get that stuff knocked down. It's really hard to positivley I'd a Dino and in fact some snails and corals too do eat some types.
Look in the invert forum there's a cleanup crew sticky with some good suggestions on good snails and what they eat.

If you knock down the big stuff the snails will keep it down generally.

OP
OP
T

terrell wohlrab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's very likey the water is killing off your bacteria stunting your cycle. With tap water and bottled water it's really a 50/50 if it's going to work. Plus it amay still have stuff that may feed the organisim we may think is dinos. It very well could be diatoms.
If the bacteria isn't processing nutrints well sometimes other organisims will take over like that.
I don't check around town and see if anyone offers true rodi it's usually not that much more expensive.
And yea you should run some carbon and try to get that stuff knocked down. It's really hard to positivley I'd a Dino and in fact some snails and corals too do eat some types.
Look in the invert forum there's a cleanup crew sticky with some good suggestions on good snails and what they eat.

If you knock down the big stuff the snails will keep it down generally.
I looked around town. When I first started for RODI and no one carried it I originally was using just plain distilled. But then I found the RO unit at the store and switched to that. I have still yet to find a RODI unit near me

OP
OP
T

terrell wohlrab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Def dino - Looks like you will have to do a lights out! Mine decided to come out when I changed my t5 out - forgot to slowly introduce a bulb at a time. Make sure you run carbon too as they release toxins when they die off
Lights went out this morning I do my WC on either Tuesday or Wednesday so lights are going out till Tuesday and then I'm doing a 25% WC

danielvaldivia9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea your nitrite supposed to be at 0 and ammonia aswell, also how long do you leave your lights on?

OP
OP
T

terrell wohlrab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea your nitrite supposed to be at 0 and ammonia aswell, also how long do you leave your lights on?
lights are on a 10 hour schedual, they are only blue from 8 till 10, then full spectrum from 10 till 4, then blue from 4 till 6, then off till 8 agian

danielvaldivia9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lights are on a 10 hour schedual, they are only blue from 8 till 10, then full spectrum from 10 till 4, then blue from 4 till 6, then off till 8 agian

Ok yea that good, we'll try getting those parameters to 0 and get some sand sifters like horse shoe crabs or diamond goby

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looked around town. When I first started for RODI and no one carried it I originally was using just plain distilled. But then I found the RO unit at the store and switched to that. I have still yet to find a RODI unit near me

Dang. It's such a 50/50 on the non rodi.

Keep an eye out. Just so you know , all of the units are pretty much the same. Just components. So if you find a good RO unit you can add the other DI unit pretty easy.

Chek out the brs ones then look at Rhine depot models. With any luck you can find a nice used set and get new media.

If your not already you can run some gfo to get any silicates and heavy metals out. Seachem prime and stability can help with chloramines and boost the biofilter.

OP
OP
T

terrell wohlrab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang. It's such a 50/50 on the non rodi.

Keep an eye out. Just so you know , all of the units are pretty much the same. Just components. So if you find a good RO unit you can add the other DI unit pretty easy.

Chek out the brs ones then look at Rhine depot models. With any luck you can find a nice used set and get new media.

If your not already you can run some gfo to get any silicates and heavy metals out. Seachem prime and stability can help with chloramines and boost the biofilter.
i dont own the RO unit, its at wegmans(local store to the east cost) its kinda like a walmart/costco i guess

pyxopotamus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i dont own the RO unit, its at wegmans(local store to the east cost) its kinda like a walmart/costco i guess
it's a bit of an investment up front, but it'll benefit you in the long run to buy one of your own. my husband used to get RO water from a grocery store for convenience but soon found it wasn't pure enough (i've also read about people getting algae problems from impure store-bought RO water). then he started going out of his way to a LFS. eventually, tired of making those long trips, we put down the cash for our own unit. it's slow going (~45 mins for 5 gallons) and turns one of our bathrooms into a laboratory ;Watching but it's so much more convenient being able to make some on the spot, it'll save us money, and best of all he has complete control over the end product.

Velcro

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My opinion is ride it out with no changes. Every time I freaked out about dinos I would make it worse while killing coral (from lights out and chemicals, not dinos).

When I stop caring about them and hold stable parameters, then they seems to take care of themselves. The ONE thing that I will say is POSSIBLY hold off on water changes UNLESS you have stupid high nutrients. The OTHER thing I will say is check your phosphates with a hannah meter. If they are zero, try dosing some to around 0.05-0.1ppm.

ReeferMadnessfragandco

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need some help ID'ng this so I can take proper action. I believe it's the same stuff that caused my first tank rebuild because it was so bad and now it's back. I want to get this out quick before it takes over again
Grab a clean up crew if you can! And do you have a reactor going??

Amonia- showing at or near 0(cheap test strips)
Nitrates-25ppm
Nitrites-10ppm
Salinity 1.025
Temp- between79-81°

0519172235.jpg

0519172236a.jpg

0519172236.jpg

OP
OP
T

terrell wohlrab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lights out for 3 days got rid of 99% of it. So I ended up doing a WC, I figured with that much die off it wasent good. Now it's coming back. Are there any living things to help combat this? My numbers seem like they are pretty stable and nothing is out of whack.

But then again I've heard that dino can "mask" the numbers by eating up anything bad so that it doesn't test high. And that's how it grows.

Do I just play a waiting game now?

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 168 62.2%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 70 25.9%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 93 34.4%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 46 17.0%
  • Other

Votes: 70 25.9%
Back