Dino or Diatoms?

jvaleno12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok quick summary about 2.5-3 year old 125 gallon with 40 sump tank. Everything running fine for awhile now, had a cyano issue for awhile wasn’t terrible. I decided to do a big tank maintenance and cleaned my refuge that was loaded up with detritus. Then did a 35% water change after about 2 weeks later I finally wanted to get rid of my cyano so I did chemi clean and got rid of all of it then did another 35%. Tank was looking great for with clean sand for couple days then..... all of sudden whole sand bed was covered in this. I at first thought it was Dino but now I think it’s diatoms. I haven’t done much to combat this problem yet but my first guess is I lost a lot of benefitical bacteria cleaning my refuge out and that I should dose dr Tim’s waste away?

Nitrates 10ppm
PO4 .25

401367D3-873D-4CBF-B31D-5CAFA10C4FC2.jpeg DD8F3CAD-603D-46C1-927D-D7500B5FD4E9.jpeg

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Light case but do this:
First- Check phosphates and nitrates to assure theyre not elevated.
Here is full program:
Prepare by starting with a water change and blow this stuff loose with a turkey baster and siphon up loose particles.
Turn lights off (at least white and run blue at 10-15%) for 5 days and at night dose 1ml of hydrogen peroxide per 10 gallons for all 5 nights. If you dont have light dependent coral- turn all lights off.
During the day dose 1ml of liquid bacteria (such as bacter 7) per 10 gallons.
Clean filters daily and DO NOT FEED CORAL FOODS OR ADD NOPOX as it is food for dinos.
Day 5,, you can start with blue lights - ramping up and work your white lights up slowly

OP
OP
J

jvaleno12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok so you def think its dinos?

Should I not use dr tims waste away?

I was dosing NOPOX for a little thank god i stop when i saw it wasnt getting better.

Back