Dino Removal

Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am just about done with a 6 week Dino outbreak that I didn't realize was dinos and let it take over the overflow, back glass, and rocks.

Once I realized I was already dosing phyto, phos, and nitrates because I didn't want my chaeto to start and it was bottoming out. As well as running UV from a bacterial bloom I had a little after the dinos started.

I started dosing 2 to 3ml of microbacter7 daily about 2 weeks ago.

I have green algae that is just barely covering most of the rocks, blenny hasn't let it become anything more than a film, and lots or coraline speckles all over the rock.

I haven't done many water changes due to low nutrients, and instead have been removing it from about 1/3rd of my surfaces daily and using a siphon to suck it up from my display through a fleece sock into my sump.

Is this method of removal okay? Meaning, i leave is on parts of the back glass most days and leave some on rocks because I don't want to disrupt my pod population too much at once.

It seems to be working, but should I be more agressive in getting rid of it when it shows up or take the fact that it comes back less and less as me being on the right track.

OP
OP
Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I scrub surfaces I can't remove from the tank and don't bother to siphon, I shut the lights off once I see it starting to recollect, usually within 20 minutes, and let the fleece sock on in my sump that is drained into do the work. But lately I try to siphon 99% of it.

Also, do kenya trees consume dinos? It pulses it's polyps when I suspended enough dinos to cloud the water, and stays open longer when dark on those days I lazily don't siphon.

The Ginga Ninja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! I've had dinos about 4 times, they're the worst.

BUT, I know know how to get rid of them in about 6-8 days. It will require you to invest in a UV sterilizer though, have you considered one of those? Check out this method when you have some time :):

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there is a marked problem with that guy's video

he thinks what works in his own tank works for others at a rate of more than 8%

better than a video: we email that aquarist a link to the big dinos thread and he manages tanks there live time.

he says they'll be dino free by day 14. they're at 660 pages trying everything known to mankind.

Last edited:

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

notice to all youtubers

if you aren't curing jobs there live time, 20+ public jobs, you're getting only lucky.

Last edited:
Back