Dino species confirmation- ostreopsis?

DonDrummond

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for Dino confirmation- I think ostreopsis with maybe a second type?
Tried posting in the big Dino thread but no replies all day.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Yes osteoporosis
Prepare by starting with a water change and blow this stuff loose with a turkey baster and siphon up loose particles.
Turn lights off (at least white and run blue at 10-15%) for 5 days and at night dose 1ml of hydrogen peroxide per 10 gallons for all 5 nights. If you dont have light dependent coral- turn all lights off.
During the day dose 1ml of liquid bacteria (such as bacter 7) per 10 gallons.
Clean filters daily and DO NOT FEED CORAL FOODS OR ADD NOPOX as it is food for dinos.
Day 5,, you can start with blue lights - ramping up and work your white lights up slowly

Last edited:
OP
OP
DonDrummond

DonDrummond

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thx! It’s only a 24 gallon and I was going to buy a cheap green killing machine 9watt but petco just cancelled my order informing me it’s not in stock. Maybe reef gods are telling me to go your route

Research Monkey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I beat back ostreopsis recently in a 20 gallon AIO. #1 method for Ostreopsis is UV. I purchased the 9w Innovative Marine UV that fits in my AIO. reduced flow so the water would go slower through the UV. I cleaned the tank twice a day and changed floss about the same. I started overfeeding and got my phosphates up to .1 but I struggled getting Nitrates over 1ppm. This didnt seem to matter though.

I did NOT do a black out, but maybe that would have killed them off quicker as Ostreopsis goes back into the water column with no light. You would NEED UV though. I also raised the temp and dosed Microbacter7. Not sure if the MB7 or raising temps actually did anything.

Mack's reef...Dinoflagellates support group! is a GREAT group on FB that has a ton of info in the "files" section including identification and specific methods for each type.

TheWalkingCoral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was so confused.

1619726522151.png

But then I saw Research Monkey's post LOL

1619726548763.png

OP
OP
DonDrummond

DonDrummond

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! Thx fellas- I was able to order a UV after all- so the heavy hitting will start Tuesday or Wednesday next week. Until then just got microbacter and have already raised temp to 82/83 couple days ago and taking forever to get nutrients up over the last week. Eventually I’ll win- as I’m super stubborn.

happyhourhero

Burner of the Tips
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also used the IM UV and it beat them pretty good. I have cyano now but no dinos. I have to dose neonitro and neophos to stay at 10 and .10.

Aldrinlights

Reeth Huthbandry
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! Thx fellas- I was able to order a UV after all- so the heavy hitting will start Tuesday or Wednesday next week. Until then just got microbacter and have already raised temp to 82/83 couple days ago and taking forever to get nutrients up over the last week. Eventually I’ll win- as I’m super stubborn.
I'm curious how it's going. UV installed yet?

OP
OP
DonDrummond

DonDrummond

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes- went for the cheap route - a 9 watt green killing machine- my tank is 27 gallons total which is exactly at the 3 watt per gallon rule. Within 48 hours 85-90% of the dinos were gone. There’s still some in/under the shallow sand bed that’s being stubborn. I try to stir the sand a couple times a day especially right before lights out hoping to get more them into the water column for the UV. My PO4 has finally reached higher levels after pouring a capful twice a day of the BW Neophos it was .08 a couple days ago and .12 this morning. Nitrate around 5— so hopefully the “normal” algae’s can start getting more ground. Dosing microbacter7 but considering getting some more natural diverse bacteria as well. Can’t decide how necessary that is though- so much contradictory/anecdotal info. I’ll prob try to id the sand dinos tomorrow just to make sure it’s still ostreopsis although really the plan of attack will be the same- could try adding silicate to promote diatoms as competition. I also could/may try reef nutrition phyto as a competitor.
But the little green killing machine definitely delivered a huge blow right away which was a relief

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 24.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back