Dino strugle

Raph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, i went fallow a while ago but now that my fallow period is over im getting a dino problem... phosphates are showing 0.00 and nitrates 5ppm. To get my nutrients higher, should i dose phosphates and nitrates or should i go ahead and add fish? I am waiting to add fish because i saw that dinos release toxins in the water and in fact my corals and inverts aren't feeling well wich is why im asking your help! thanks!!

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, i went fallow a while ago but now that my fallow period is over im getting a dino problem... phosphates are showing 0.00 and nitrates 5ppm. To get my nutrients higher, should i dose phosphates and nitrates or should i go ahead and add fish? I am waiting to add fish because i saw that dinos release toxins in the water and in fact my corals and inverts aren't feeling well wich is why im asking your help! thanks!!
Dose phosphate and nitrate. Add fish they will be fine too.
get a microscope so you know what you are dealing with and to know what to do next. Not all dinos are equal ;)
Introduce competition by mud, established live rock.
once you know which type you have you can employ other stuff too but you need an ID. Don’t experiment do the right thing from the start.
pics help too

OP
OP
Raph

Raph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dose phosphate and nitrate. Add fish they will be fine too.
get a microscope so you know what you are dealing with and to know what to do next. Not all dinos are equal ;)
Introduce competition by mud, established live rock.
once you know which type you have you can employ other stuff too but you need an ID. Don’t experiment do the right thing from the start.
pics help too
thanks for the fast reply!! sorry i couldn't be quicker! so your saying that dino won't affect any new livstock like a pair of clownfish? if i go ahead and hat them, do you think dosing will be necessary? Are you talking about refugium mud? Would icrobacter7 be good? Thanks!!

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for the fast reply!! sorry i couldn't be quicker! so your saying that dino won't affect any new livstock like a pair of clownfish? if i go ahead and hat them, do you think dosing will be necessary? Are you talking about refugium mud? Would icrobacter7 be good? Thanks!!
I am not fan of microbbacter 7 as didn’t do any good for me. I would recommend Fauna Marin Bacto Reef ReBiotic and AQUAFOREST BIO S WATER SUPPLEMENT NITRIFYING BACTERIA.
as per mud yes use the ones used in sump. I have an AIO so I have it in the first chamber in a butte with loads of holes and the water pressure there gives some flow over it.
if you are worried about toxins run some activated carbon. It won’t hurt.
Clown fish will be fine. They are starter fish for a reason.
The idea of fighting Dinos is not to kill them but introduce and help competition which eventually will kill them for you (Contact killer ;) )
This takes time but long lasting.
if yo are planning to use UV many types get under control by it too.

OP
OP
Raph

Raph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not fan of microbbacter 7 as didn’t do any good for me. I would recommend Fauna Marin Bacto Reef ReBiotic and AQUAFOREST BIO S WATER SUPPLEMENT NITRIFYING BACTERIA.
as per mud yes use the ones used in sump. I have an AIO so I have it in the first chamber in a butte with loads of holes and the water pressure there gives some flow over it.
The idea of fighting Dinos is not to kill them but introduce and help competition which eventually will kill them for you (Contact killer ;) )
WOW thank you that's so helpfull!!! Also, my corals aren't feeling that good and the tank doesn't have a death like smell but it sure isn't a plaseant smell, do you think it's related to the dino?

OP
OP
Raph

Raph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also i see that the bacto balls are redusing phosphates so i might wait bit since my phosphates are 0.00 what do you think?

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also i see that the bacto balls are redusing phosphates so i might wait bit since my phosphates are 0.00 what do you think?
There are a few tings here corals don’t like. Toxins of some dinos, 0 phosphate and nitrate. I would add activated carbon just in case, remove or reduce the amount of the bactoballs if they meant to reduce phosphate and make sure you have detectable levels of phosphate and nitrate.

0 phosphate and nitrate known to help Dinos as all their competitors require it. So do your corals.
Your target levels should be 0.05-0.1ppm of phosphate and 5-10ppm nitrate at least while you have dinos.

get a cheap 500x+ microscope. Used will do should cost you around £30-40 max.

something to read; https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/dinoflagellates-–-are-you-tired-of-battling-altogether.293318/

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you need to post a full tank shot of the picture for a specific reason

depending on details in the pic, there is a way to deep clean your reef and fix it up without any dosers whatsoever, and without having to wait months to see if a guess works.

a certain type of full tank cleaning can fix you in one pass, usually. how many gallons is your reef and lets see a full pic of the layout

OP
OP
Raph

Raph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a few tings here corals don’t like. Toxins of some dinos, 0 phosphate and nitrate. I would add activated carbon just in case, remove or reduce the amount of the bactoballs if they meant to reduce phosphate and make sure you have detectable levels of phosphate and nitrate.

0 phosphate and nitrate known to help Dinos as all their competitors require it. So do your corals.
Your target levels should be 0.05-0.1ppm of phosphate and 5-10ppm nitrate at least while you have dinos.

something to read; https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/dinoflagellates-–-are-you-tired-of-battling-altogether.293318/

i’ll look into the microscope!

ill look into the microscope! thanks a lot for the help!!!

nicholas2010e

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When my tank was new (still is) I had a dino outbreak. My tank cycled for like 2 months and then after about a week after putting stuff in it and new lights I had a dino outbreak. I got the Green Killing Machine 9 watt and it completely cleared it up in like 2-3 days. I read many things of people saying it wouldn't be strong enough, but I figured what the worst that would happen? If it doesn't work in like a week or two I can just return it. Needless to say IT WORKED.

This is where I got mine:

They also offer a bigger version but it was too big for my tank:

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When my tank was new (still is) I had a dino outbreak. My tank cycled for like 2 months and then after about a week after putting stuff in it and new lights I had a dino outbreak. I got the Green Killing Machine 9 watt and it completely cleared it up in like 2-3 days. I read many things of people saying it wouldn't be strong enough, but I figured what the worst that would happen? If it doesn't work in like a week or two I can just return it. Needless to say IT WORKED.

What stain(s) did you have?

OP
OP
Raph

Raph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

nice i’ll look into it, Just like that, do you have any pictures of your tank when you had dino?

sh@rkB@it

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I had dinos, I tried everything. Fuana Marin rebiotic and raising my nitrates and phosphates helped alot. I dosed the rebiotic for about 3 months. During that time, I bought a 1 micron filter sock and and siphoned the tank into a 5 gallon bucket and then dumped the water back into the tank. I did this probably 10 times each session every couple days. No water changes during those couple months and started seeing less dinos. I have been dino free for about 8 months now. I was battling dinos for near a year prior.

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I had dinos, I tried everything. Fuana Marin rebiotic and raising my nitrates and phosphates helped alot. I dosed the rebiotic for about 3 months. During that time, I bought a 1 micron filter sock and and siphoned the tank into a 5 gallon bucket and then dumped the water back into the tank. I did this probably 10 times each session every couple days. No water changes during those couple months and started seeing less dinos. I have been dino free for about 8 months now. I was battling dinos for near a year prior.
I like Fuana Marin rebiotic works well
Manual removal also helps.
I would employ any mean of introducing new competitors for dinos.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 48 34.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 45 32.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 32 23.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back