Dinoflagelates. A disruptive treatment

The Opinionated Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about dosing Dino x while doing this?

The only time i have beaten dinos was when i started dino x and did a two-day blackout. Then kept the lights low for a week and slowly brought them back up. Dino's were completely gone. However, I reinfected my tank with it from a frag that was in a tank that still had dinos.

I am wondering if dino x would be the final nail in the coffin if carbon dosing is starving the dinos surely this stuff which is meant to kill dinos by stopping them from absorbing nutrients would help?

TexasReefer82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about dosing Dino x while doing this?

The only time i have beaten dinos was when i started dino x and did a two-day blackout. Then kept the lights low for a week and slowly brought them back up. Dino's were completely gone. However, I reinfected my tank with it from a frag that was in a tank that still had dinos.

I am wondering if dino x would be the final nail in the coffin if carbon dosing is starving the dinos surely this stuff which is meant to kill dinos by stopping them from absorbing nutrients would help?
Do we know what's in Dino-X? And how it works?

I think it seems like a good idea to pair the organic carbon dosing with a blackout to help it work better.

Boosterman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Week 1 Update.
I can definitely see the recession of Dinos. Unlike last week, Dinos are paler in color, not adhering to the sandbed well and blows around easily. I was dosing 1.7ml per day of DIY carbon source for the past 7 days along with the daily dosing of live phytoplankton. The plan for week 2 is to dose 3.4ml of carbon source along with live phytoplankton and a small amount of MB7.
I'm also testing NO3 and PO4 daily and keeping them around 10ppm and 0.08ppm respectively.

Week 1 - Before Treatment
PXL_20220929_230815350 (1).jpg
PXL_20220929_230803825 (1).jpg
PXL_20220929_230852039 (1).jpg
Week 2
IMG_1927.jpg
IMG_1925.jpg
IMG_1929.jpg

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Week 1 Update.
I can definitely see the recession of Dinos. Unlike last week, Dinos are paler in color, not adhering to the sandbed well and blows around easily. I was dosing 1.7ml per day of DIY carbon source for the past 7 days along with the daily dosing of live phytoplankton. The plan for week 2 is to dose 3.4ml of carbon source along with live phytoplankton and a small amount of MB7.
I'm also testing NO3 and PO4 daily and keeping them around 10ppm and 0.08ppm respectively.

Week 2
IMG_1927.jpg
IMG_1925.jpg
IMG_1929.jpg
@GarrettT

See what I’m talking about? You gotta do this for your Dinos.

GarrettT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@GarrettT

See what I’m talking about? You gotta do this for your Dinos.
Yes and very glad you directed me to this thread. Lots of good information here, but still haven’t gotten around to fully reading over everything just yet. The concept from what I’ve gathered so far looks promising.

Boosterman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Week 2 update.
I'm amazed by how much the Dinos retreated in 2 weeks. As you can see in the pictures, Dinos are about 90% gone.
For week 3, I will increase the dosage from 3.4ml to 5.1ml and siphon the sandbed to physically get the remaining Dinos out.

DSCF1723.JPG
DSCF1724.JPG
DSCF1726.JPG
DSCF1727.JPG

OP
OP
Beuchat

Beuchat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Week 2 update.
I'm amazed by how much the Dinos retreated in 2 weeks. As you can see in the pictures, Dinos are about 90% gone.
For week 3, I will increase the dosage from 3.4ml to 5.1ml and siphon the sandbed to physically get the remaining Dinos out.

DSCF1723.JPG
DSCF1724.JPG
DSCF1726.JPG
DSCF1727.JPG
Glad to see!

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone seen negative effects of dosing sugar on acropora (browning or STN)?

I’m considering trying this for some chrysophytes. I already dose vodka and vinegar for nitrate removal.

Boosterman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone seen negative effects of dosing sugar on acropora (browning or STN)?

I’m considering trying this for some chrysophytes. I already dose vodka and vinegar for nitrate removal.
I have about 20 acropora frags varying from 6 month old to 1 week old and have not seen any negative effects. PE was good throughout the whole process and growth tip were present.

Joe.D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Week 1 Update.

Week 2
IMG_1927.jpg
IMG_1925.jpg
IMG_1929.jpg
I’m looking at trying this as I’m battling Dinos right now. How many gallons is your tank and what was the amount of MB7 you used?

Also @Beuchat … once dinos are eradicated, what would the suggested maintenance dose and frequency be?

Last edited:

Boosterman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m looking at trying this as I’m battling Dinos right now. How many gallons is your tank and what was the amount of MB7 you used?

Also @Beuchat … once dinos are eradicated, what would the suggested maintenance dose and frequency be?

My tank total volume(DT+Sump) is 105 gallons. I dosed 5ml of MB7 during week 2.

OP
OP
Beuchat

Beuchat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Joe.D , I believe 0,5-1 ml/100 l per day , at night, is a good dose

Joe.D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m on day 5 using this treatment. Started dosing on Friday, 10/21. On Sunday, I vacuumed the sand and syphoned dinos into a filter sock in the sump and so far so good. Sand is still clean, only marginal build up on glass that I brush off with a flipper.

The week before last, prior to beginning this treatment, I vacuumed the sand on Saturday and by Thursday, I had dinos back in the sand after returning from a business trip. Since that was 5 days after vacuuming, I’ll see what my sand looks like by Friday to compare.

Joe.D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m on day 5 using this treatment. Started dosing on Friday, 10/21. On Sunday, I vacuumed the sand and syphoned dinos into a filter sock in the sump and so far so good. Sand is still clean, only marginal build up on glass that I brush off with a flipper.

The week before last, prior to beginning this treatment, I vacuumed the sand on Saturday and by Thursday, I had dinos back in the sand after returning from a business trip. Since that was 5 days after vacuuming, I’ll see what my sand looks like by Friday to compare.
Now on Day 12 of this treatment. Dinos are virtually gone - just a very small amount in a low flow area of the sand in one corner of the tank.

Since the Dinos seem to be held in check, I have not increased my dosage from the original .5 ml per 100L. However, over the past couple of days I've noticed a few things... Corals not opening as much, especially my GSP - only a small patch of green has come out of it's skeleton today. My Torch and Zoa's are not fully opened. I've also noticed some green algae on rocks now.

My parameters are:
Alk 10.5 (Hanna)
Calcium 370 (Red Sea)
Nitrate .2 (Hanna)
Phosphate 0 (Hanna)
Salinity 1.025

I've continued dosing All For Reef during this time. My question is, should I start dosing NeoNitro and NeoPhos again to get those numbers up?

@Beuchat - thoughts on next steps?

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now on Day 12 of this treatment. Dinos are virtually gone - just a very small amount in a low flow area of the sand in one corner of the tank.

Since the Dinos seem to be held in check, I have not increased my dosage from the original .5 ml per 100L. However, over the past couple of days I've noticed a few things... Corals not opening as much, especially my GSP - only a small patch of green has come out of it's skeleton today. My Torch and Zoa's are not fully opened. I've also noticed some green algae on rocks now.

My parameters are:
Alk 10.5 (Hanna)
Calcium 370 (Red Sea)
Nitrate .2 (Hanna)
Phosphate 0 (Hanna)
Salinity 1.025

I've continued dosing All For Reef during this time. My question is, should I start dosing NeoNitro and NeoPhos again to get those numbers up?

@Beuchat - thoughts on next steps?
Nutrients are very low. You don’t want 0 phosphates. The amount of sugar is so low with this recipe that I highly doubt that’s what’s causing issues for you.

Raise phosphates and nitrates. Then assess. :)

Joe.D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Miami! So, you’d recommend dosing NeoNitro and Neophos again? I had stopped as I thought the article said not to dose while using this process on the Dinos.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Miami! So, you’d recommend dosing NeoNitro and Neophos again? I had stopped as I thought the article said not to dose while using this process on the Dinos.
This article stated that zero nutrients would not cause a dino bloom when using the carbon recipe, but the risk of cyano still appears with zero nutrients, so that isn’t recommended.

Anyway, it is important to highlight that the risk of cyanobacteria bloom is still there, so we shall not let the inorganic nutrient concentration be reduced too much.

However, in this essay we have verified that, when such low concentrations are the result of the gradual addition of organic carbon, there is no risk of dinoflagellate blooms

So yes, dose the nutrients. :)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back