Dinoflagellate ID

fettsvett

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I've been battling dino's for a while here - long time lurker, but never really posted, I was hoping I could get some help with Dino ID?

PXL_20201027_022950976.MP.jpg

PXL_20201027_022546155.MP.jpg

Please let me know if you need more info - they matt everywhere when they get out of control, right now its a relatively minor outbreak, but I'm afraid it's going to get out of control - I really hope I can get rid of them for good.

Thanks!

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ostreopsis dinos

If you have a uv system, it will knock those out completely in a couple days. This are easier ones to control.

OP
OP
fettsvett

fettsvett

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out the pdf attached to this post https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/dinoflagellates-–-are-you-tired-of-battling-altogether.293318/page-431

To me it looks like there’s a small hook on the nose (sorry I took my contacts off already so I’m not 100%). If so I’d say Amphidinium. Is it on your sand?
Yeah, it seems like it's mostly comfy in the sand, I found a really active one when I was looking in the microscope and it almost looked like it had clear "fangs" going in and out of the front very rapidly which made me think it was another orgamism - though it was the same shape, just much larger. I'll see if I can get any better pictures tomorrow. I've considered upping the water temperature and using kalkwasser to up the PH - I've tried everything else including dino-x.

OP
OP
fettsvett

fettsvett

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ostreopsis dinos

If you have a uv system, it will knock those out completely in a couple days. This are easier ones to control.
I appreciate that - I have used a cheap uv system and it seemed to knock them down but it may be too much. I'm thinking I might be too low nutrient - I've also thought about getting more fish, at this point I'm down to one because I've been trying to get this under control before adding any and I lost one to jumping out. I've been very careful about adding fish since this started and I had an ich outbreak (I didn't use proper quarantine procedure) just before this started. I've got a good setup for quarantine now though. I've also tried adding phosphorus and nitrate directly. Seems like nothing I do helps :/

OP
OP
fettsvett

fettsvett

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate that - I have used a cheap uv system and it seemed to knock them down but it may be too much. I'm thinking I might be too low nutrient - I've also thought about getting more fish, at this point I'm down to one because I've been trying to get this under control before adding any and I lost one to jumping out. I've been very careful about adding fish since this started and I had an ich outbreak (I didn't use proper quarantine procedure) just before this started. I've got a good setup for quarantine now though. I've also tried adding phosphorus and nitrate directly. Seems like nothing I do helps :/
Ideally, i'd like to balance the system enough to where it's not a matter of using a hammer, ya know?

OP
OP
fettsvett

fettsvett

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Low nutrients have been contributed to dinos. It seems with me, they come when fluctuations occur in my system. Adding biodiversity helps. The UV is definitely what helps keep ostreopsis in check, though...knocked mine out in a few days.

OP
OP
fettsvett

fettsvett

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone - I know I'm bumping a necrothread, but I just installed a heavy duty UV sterilizer (gosh, they're expensve!) and I'm seeing results in the first two days! Seems like in a month or so it should be effectively "gone" I've got some pods and some Phyto on the way as well.

Thanks again everyone.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 57 49.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 63 54.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 26 22.6%
  • None.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.8%
Back