Dinoflagellates – Are You Tired Of Battling Altogether?

matic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, ostreopsis. Welcome to the club. Good news is they are pretty easy to beat. 36watts on that size will work. Dosing nitrate and phosphates yet? Strongly recommended if you are 0/0 nutrient.

Thanks for the help! Not dosing at the moment, hoping that nutrients will rise because I stopped my skimmer until I see some nitrates or phoshate, I have bad experience white dosing phosphate, everytime I dosed as little as 1 ml of phosphate I got cyano.

ineption

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a form of Gracilaria which is a slime similar to dino but is not. Manual removal and adding 10ml of peroxide to each 10 gals and lowering light intensity will diminish this
What strength hydrogen peroxide did you use?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

matic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long did it take you guys to see the effect of an uv with ostreopsis? Days? Weeks?

mtdaly85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the help! Not dosing at the moment, hoping that nutrients will rise because I stopped my skimmer until I see some nitrates or phoshate, I have bad experience white dosing phosphate, everytime I dosed as little as 1 ml of phosphate I got cyano.
Make sure you hook up a carbon reactor or throw in a big bag of carbon. The toxins from Ostreopsis are extremely toxic to fish, corals, and can be to humans!

debees5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can someone please help me prepare a Dino slide for a microscope so I can post a picture to ID them? (See March of Death in the tank emergency forum for background). I’ve been following those recommendations and the prescription in the Dinoflagellates Support Group on FB, as well as DinoX. I still have them. I’m confused about dosing Vodka as part of the regimen, wouldn’t that keep my nitrates too low?

debees5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can someone please help me prepare a Dino slide for a microscope so I can post a picture to ID them? (See March of Death in the tank emergency forum for background). I’ve been following those recommendations and the prescription in the Dinoflagellates Support Group on FB, as well as DinoX. I still have them. I’m confused about dosing Vodka as part of the regimen, wouldn’t that keep my nitrates too low?
I believe they are both, although not in the concentrations on the slides associated with these, mostly because I don’t know how to get a good sample onto the slide. Only the ostreopsis move. I’m pulling these out of a filter sock.

debees5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe they are both, although not in the concentrations on the slides associated with these, mostly because I don’t know how to get a good sample onto the slide. Only the ostreopsis move. I’m pulling these out of a filter sock.

Can’t seem to get the video to work
5DA35391-C6AD-4F5C-A465-92899791132E.jpeg

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, no visible signs of dinos when looking at the tank for several weeks. SPS is growing again, zoas are happy, LPS is doing ok. A few areas with cyano mats in eddy areas in the rock work. When I sample the mats its typical cyano but I do see a few dinos at the edges of the mat under the scope. Nothing else visible to sample.

My questions....Will these ever go away? I quit dosing silicates several weeks ago when I couldn't see any evidence of dinos. I've let my nitrates fall to 2.5 but I'm dosing again to get it up to 5 which is where I plan to keep it. PO4 is pretty steady at 0.08-0.12. I plan to add some pods from Algae Barn this week.

Should I quit worrying about seeing those only on microscopic views?

The dinos are not very numerous. This is under 250x. Are these Prorocentrum or Amphidinium?

debees5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, no visible signs of dinos when looking at the tank for several weeks. SPS is growing again, zoas are happy, LPS is doing ok. A few areas with cyano mats in eddy areas in the rock work. When I sample the mats its typical cyano but I do see a few dinos at the edges of the mat under the scope. Nothing else visible to sample.

My questions....Will these ever go away? I quit dosing silicates several weeks ago when I couldn't see any evidence of dinos. I've let my nitrates fall to 2.5 but I'm dosing again to get it up to 5 which is where I plan to keep it. PO4 is pretty steady at 0.08-0.12. I plan to add some pods from Algae Barn this week.

The dinos are not very numerous. This is under 250x. Are these Prorocentrum or Amphidinium?

I can’t answer your questions, but these look like what I believe are Amphidinium I see on my microscope. Can you tell me how you get a sample and prepare it on a slide? I’ve been scraping stuff out of my filter sock but I want to be able to grab strands out of my DT....

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t answer your questions, but these look like what I believe are Amphidinium I see on my microscope. Can you tell me how you get a sample and prepare it on a slide? I’ve been scraping stuff out of my filter sock but I want to be able to grab strands out of my DT....

I used a turkey baster to suck some up. You can also stir up the stuff into the water column and net it out. Keep enough tank water to keep it wet on the slide. Once dry, you can't see their swim motion.

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

@taricha What do you think about this?

icedgxe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone help me ID what I have in my hands? They aren’t very bad right now. Mainly on the sand, back glass, frag rack, and powehead.

059D3638-393A-48A6-B5E1-11212317F89E.jpeg 1F8C822B-D05B-4E44-A33B-CFB8C3E45F54.jpeg AA448D54-0DBE-4331-B5A2-E49C96A4B1F8.jpeg

jeffww

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update on my amphidinium problem. It's on its way out after adding a 7w UV sterilizer to my system and dosing NO3 and PO4. Every day I use a turkey baster and have been blowing them off the rocks and kicking up all the sand. I think disturbing their habitat drives them into the water and lets the UV deal with them. It took about 2 weeks but luckily these dinos don't seem very toxic and the snails happily eat them off the glass.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 48 55.2%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 26 29.9%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 8.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.4%
Back