Dinoflagellates – Are You Tired Of Battling Altogether?

Beardo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a 65gal tank with sump so maybe 80gal in rock so 65gal water. at 80 dollars I consider it at throwaway compared to 500. I only plan to use it till I beat the infection back. I’m hoping I reach the ugly stage and it gets getter from here. It really went nutz when I stripped the water with the hydro cyclone.
On that size tank and relatively short term use the cheap one will work perfect. When you start pushing the size rating or plan to run long term, the higher quality unit may make sense.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @reeferfoxx. That is exactly what I wanted to hear!

So this is not any of the common, known dinos? Is it in fact a dino or something else?
I think it is a type of dino. Though, really small and fast moving like in you video. It can collect fairly quick on the glass but my cherub angel and snails like to munch on them. No negative signs from it. I think its sort of that "bio-film" people like to talk about but have no clue as to what it is. I think eventually they will be out competed. I wish I had a better answer/microscope. :(

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @reeferfoxx. That is exactly what I wanted to hear!

So this is not any of the common, known dinos? Is it in fact a dino or something else?
correct. This is not a problematic dino. may not even be a dino at all. Small zoomy things like this show up when there is a food source - in my system things like this are usually ciliates. Fast swimmers tend to be more likely hunters than photosynthetic dinos.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what's my play? I had eliminated these last fall with elevated nutrients. But they came back and my nutrients aren't bottomed out ( 20 nitrates .03 phosphate).
Test your nutrients again. Presumably you tested at the start of a new bloom, they might have absorbed more. I would also invest in a UV sterilizer.

mstockmaster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Test your nutrients again. Presumably you tested at the start of a new bloom, they might have absorbed more. I would also invest in a UV sterilizer.
I test every 3-4 days. Salifert nitrate, Hanna ulr phosphorus. I'll test again tonight with Hanna and salifert phosphorus. Maybe I'll just dump some phosphate in for food measure. I think I had it up to .15 or so when I last got rid of this crap. A local guy is giving me a 36 watt coralife uv that needs a bulb. If I can't reduce this outbreak in a week I'll throw it on and see what happens.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I test every 3-4 days. Salifert nitrate, Hanna ulr phosphorus. I'll test again tonight with Hanna and salifert phosphorus. Maybe I'll just dump some phosphate in for food measure. I think I had it up to .15 or so when I last got rid of this crap. A local guy is giving me a 36 watt coralife uv that needs a bulb. If I can't reduce this outbreak in a week I'll throw it on and see what happens.
Before this new bloom, did you by any chance add anything different to the tank? Example: h2o2, nutrient reducers like waste away or vibrant, mb7 or stability? Anything different?

Beardo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what's my play? I had eliminated these last fall with elevated nutrients. But they came back and my nutrients aren't bottomed out ( 20 nitrates .03 phosphate).
Ostreopsis are a cyst forming dinoflagellates. Most likely what you are seeing now is a result of the cysts "hatching". I would start with examining what conditions have changed since the last time they receded. Then try to match the conditions that caused them to recede the first time. I also agree with @reeferfoxx on the UV. A properly sized UV really helps with Ostreopsis. As far as sizing, shoot for 0.5 watts per gallon.

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question. Are there any dips that will kill dins and not coral. Will iodine dips, Bayer, coral rx, revive or anything else kill dins on a coral without killing the coral?

Beardo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question. Are there any dips that will kill dins and not coral. Will iodine dips, Bayer, coral rx, revive or anything else kill dins on a coral without killing the coral?
I did some testing and only thing I found to be even remotely effective against "most" dino species was diluted peroxide dip followed by a low salinity dip. I did have some coral losses though especially SPS with lower salinities. It also doesn't kill any encysted dinos.

mstockmaster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before this new bloom, did you by any chance add anything different to the tank? Example: h2o2, nutrient reducers like waste away or vibrant, mb7 or stability? Anything different?
Added new skimmer. Added a small diy ATS. Wanted to lower the amount of nitrates in the tank. I have not added any chemicals or other snake oil products.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If that's with the ULR phosphorous checker the margin of error is 5ppm +5% of the reading. 10ppm would be a level of 0.03 so if you do the math, the 0.03 could have actually been 0.01 which is plenty low enough to be a factor in the new bloom.

For that reason I'm going to aim to keep my reading 0.06-0.08 or above

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added new skimmer. Added a small diy ATS. Wanted to lower the amount of nitrates in the tank. I have not added any chemicals or other snake oil products.
That is frustrating. I wonder if it was too soon to perform any nutrient reductions. Maybe too much of a shift? I think UV is the new insurance policy for reefs unfortunately.

Bob Lauson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a 40W UV sterilizer on my 180 gallon DT with a 40 gallon sump. I currently have the sterilizer in the DT and will keep it there for a while longer as the Dino’s have only been gone for about 3 weeks.

Drs2140

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a 40W UV sterilizer on my 180 gallon DT with a 40 gallon sump. I currently have the sterilizer in the DT and will keep it there for a while longer as the Dino’s have only been gone for about 3 weeks.
Thanks everyone, this thread has helped a lot partly beacause i know I’m not alone in this mess. Going on 6 months fighting these SOBs.

JAMSOURY

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
How long did it take for you to start seeing results once you dosed N and P?

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mstockmaster

What you posted is what stands out to me in these threads and is the basis for my minor challenges to this system which leaves an invader in place as a core design. I'm not downing the thread, it's attaining some cures and making headway for large tankers who can't rip clean fully.

over time as these noncompliants post, I'll add this: any non compliant tank posting this kind of detail should have total dedicated unfettered +10 focus until resolved attention from the top three resolutioners in this thread

The finality in my opinion is no form of nutrient changes makes a Dino invasion... Cells=gone is the goal. **thousands of pico reefers and nano keepers never concern over N and P and are models for being invader free, the biased feel. We're mass excluders by and large and hope more larger tanks in early stage invasion will consider the option.

we have GFO users, phosphate stripper picos, who were never invaded as well... AndrewK has online a four year thread on a two gallon, gfo saved him water change work and never caused dinos to bloom because they weren't there.

if we ever had a chance to apply a force clean model to the tank for Mstock in our threads, afterwards we would order from Algen the latest living competing live pods + your microbe competitor bottled bac soln's which aren't harmful to use even if they aren't guaranteed to work. Use this competition approach the Dino thread has championed, but in the order of ops that applies it to the least invader mass possible.

Last edited:

Jolanta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One question guys, in my big tank I dont have dino problems but its very phosphate limited, my nitrates rise with food but my phosphates dont, thay read 0 or 1 on my hanna ulr phosphorus, my sps corals look pale and some will str, to help them I try to dose seachem phosphorus but everytime I dose I see negative response from my corals, they close with only 0.01 rise, is there any way I have enough phosphate but my test dont show it? When I had chaeto in sump it grows really quick, I took it out to rise my phosphate now.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 102 86.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back