Dinoflagellates – Are You Tired Of Battling Altogether?

Porpoise Hork

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome!

So you kept phosphates very low or was your target 0.05 - 0.10?

I wanted to keep them low to avoid a potential bloom of nuisance algae. I looked at all the available options and went with Aquavitro Planted as it seemed the safest chem to dose and is primarily phosphorus. It's extremely concentrated and the dose is 7ml for 250g to raise it .15, so for 87g it should have been about 2.2ml so I started with 1ml and tested phosphates until I got .003 then stepped up the dose to 1.25ml as that was what was needed to maintain it in the .005-.010 range.

Reefer1978

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I wanted to keep them low to avoid a potential bloom of nuisance algae. I looked at all the available options and went with Aquavitro Planted as it seemed the safest chem to dose and is primarily phosphorus. It's extremely concentrated and the dose is 7ml for 250g to raise it .15, so for 87g it should have been about 2.2ml so I started with 1ml and tested phosphates until I got .003 then stepped up the dose to 1.25ml as that was what was needed to maintain it in the .005-.010 range.

Do you know which species you had?

Pdxlucas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you identified the type with a microscope? (Oops sounds like you are doing that now...) Some species can be eradicated relatively quickly with a UV sterilizer plumbed directly in and out of the tank. About one watt of UV for every 2 or 3 gallons and flow about 1 to 3 tank gallons per hour through it. Also, be sure to keep running GAC through a reactor to remove toxins.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I have a 10g simp with a reef octopus classic 110 internal skimmer. I always run carbon with a brs reactor. I’ve had a coralife turbo twist UV sterilizer 9 watt in the sump. I run filter socks as well. I added some ecobak ez bio sticks to the sump in a media bag to try and lower the nitrates (didn’t make much of a difference however I still have them in there. I tried to upload a microscope picture but I don’t think it worked. I’ll try again.
7958B0FA-D6AE-4864-BC06-B64AF68CD36A.jpeg
3D30C413-4475-4F64-9CF3-8D9F6E9620C4.jpeg
I see them but i'm having a hard time identifying them? But it looks like it has an amphidinium notch on it.

Jolanta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys! What's new here? Any cure? My friend has Prorocentrum outbreake and I would like to help him. I killed my ostreospsis long time ago with UV and it didn't return, so I wasn't reading for a long time.

Jolanta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys! How are you? Long time with out visiting this treat. Any new cure? I killed ostreopsis with UV a long time ago but my friend has Prorocentrum outbreak and I would like to help him. What's best for Prorocentrum? Nutrients level?

Pdxlucas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can someone please Id these little jerks for me and let me know how to get rid of them?
3D30C413-4475-4F64-9CF3-8D9F6E9620C4.jpeg
7958B0FA-D6AE-4864-BC06-B64AF68CD36A.jpeg

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what that means. I really need a battle plan here.
Sorry. There are several different kinds of amphidinium. A google search suggests a possible ID to three amphidinium strains. None the less, amphidinium. They are the most difficult to eradicate.

Typically we just follow the first post to the thread. Check list as follows.

• Increase N and P to 10ppm and 0.10ppm
  • Add UV
  • Seed organisms via live rock or mud
Amphidinium specific
  • Dose silicates to create diatom bloom
  • Remove sandbed(optional)

Ive heard from several others that overdosing silicates and creating a large diatom bloom will outcompete amphidinium. Once the diatom bloom hits, let the tank naturally consume silicates and let the diatoms disappear on their own.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys! How are you? Long time with out visiting this treat. Any new cure? I killed ostreopsis with UV a long time ago but my friend has Prorocentrum outbreak and I would like to help him. What's best for Prorocentrum? Nutrients level?
Hey Jolanta! So far it is all just the same. Dose N and P, add UV, and Seed organisms.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry. There are several different kinds of amphidinium. A google search suggests a possible ID to three amphidinium strains. None the less, amphidinium. They are the most difficult to eradicate.

Typically we just follow the first post to the thread. Check list as follows.

• Increase N and P to 10ppm and 0.10ppm
  • Add UV
  • Seed organisms via live rock or mud
Amphidinium specific
  • Dose silicates to create diatom bloom
  • Remove sandbed(optional)

Ive heard from several others that overdosing silicates and creating a large diatom bloom will outcompete amphidinium. Once the diatom bloom hits, let the tank naturally consume silicates and let the diatoms disappear on their own.
So you have heard of several successes of dosing silicates. That’s the only thing I haven’t tried for my amphidinium. I new people were trying but I never heard of any clear success stories.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you have heard of several successes of dosing silicates. That’s the only thing I haven’t tried for my amphidinium. I new people were trying but I never heard of any clear success stories.
In the beginning we discovered that researchers trying to grow cultures couldnt do so without removing silica and silicates from tests.

Fast forward to today, im seeing more and more amphidinium cases with random siccess statements saying they used silicates and it worked. Before Taricha disappeared he told me it does help and could also be used to eradicate cyano. Who would have thought? It wouldn't hurt to try. I think the goal is to create an ugly diatom bloom rather than lightly dosing.

Pdxlucas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would also like to know that as well.

Pdxlucas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the beginning we discovered that researchers trying to grow cultures couldnt do so without removing silica and silicates from tests.

Fast forward to today, im seeing more and more amphidinium cases with random siccess statements saying they used silicates and it worked. Before Taricha disappeared he told me it does help and could also be used to eradicate cyano. Who would have thought? It wouldn't hurt to try. I think the goal is to create an ugly diatom bloom rather than lightly dosing.
What product would I need to use to dose silicates?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 43.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 21.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 30 32.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back