Dinoflagellates – Are You Tired Of Battling Altogether?

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My new tank should arrive next week
The new tank is a result of a long hard fought dino battle that I lost.

Dinos are primarily in the sandbed.

I'm wondering if I go bare bottom on the new tank can I maybe avoid the problem in the future? Maybe be able to salvage my existing corals?

I would paint the bottom glass with a textured white paint to emulate sand.
I would do the same, no sand.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
40 breeder. What uv sterilizer would you recommend?

And there's no way I'm restarting again. Unless I get a larger system anyway.
You will need about 15 watts or so (1 watt per 3 gallons of water). No harm in going larger if you keep an eye on tank temperature. Many have had luck with cheap jebao or more expensive models. Run 1-3 tank volumes per hour through it. Plumb from DT back to DT for best chances.

MTBake

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will need about 15 watts or so (1 watt per 3 gallons of water). No harm in going larger if you keep an eye on tank temperature. Many have had luck with cheap jebao or more expensive models. Run 1-3 tank volumes per hour through it. Plumb from DT back to DT for best chances.

Thanks for the info. I'm looking at Pentair Aquatics 25 watt. Just not sure how I'll plumb it into my DT. Looking at options as time permits. I'm watching my almost 3 year old nephew till tomorrow morning. He finally fell a sleep for a nap:)

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Losing the dino battle was the perfect excuse to upgrade from 110 gallon tank to 180 gallon tank. :)

So...
Can anyone answer my questions about bare bottom and avoiding dinos again?
Can I salvage my corals by putting them in a bare bottom tank? I have amphidinium dinos.
Well I have also got amphidiniums and have just removed my sand bed and gone bare bottom ...but I'm also dosing silicate too induce a diatom bloom too out compete the dinos ...I'm not gonna stay bare bottomed I will be putting a new sand bed in ...I would also suggest adding phytoplankton and copepods which I'm also doing .. don't know if this helps you ...but your not alone at least ...

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've just been looking at old dino threads on here and came across one by Dana Riddle about the possibility of a light spectrum towards the blue end could actually cause dinos.
I never really seen much mentioned about light spectrum on here but I, and I'm guessing many others, run a very blue spectrum.
I'm just wondering if there is anything in this and what would happen if I drop my lights to around 6.5k?
Hey Steve I'm going too agree with this ...I got my dinos when I switched my lights out ...I've always run my tank with heavy blues ...but the blues on the new lights (kessils A360we) too my eyes were different..after I read this post I checked my thread too see ...and I'm sure this was a factor in my dinos ....especially as my tank has always been a high nutrient tank ....I was surprised when I got them ...

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info. I'm looking at Pentair Aquatics 25 watt. Just not sure how I'll plumb it into my DT. Looking at options as time permits. I'm watching my almost 3 year old nephew till tomorrow morning. He finally fell a sleep for a nap:)

I've got the 40w pentair.
What I did was to go from the display to the sump via siphon. I have no pump on the uv.
I siphon from the display and it empties into the sump.

Beardo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That unit should do the trick. I'm a fan of the AquaUV units as well.
For sizing @ dwest gave a good recommendation. The 1 watt/3 gallon would be the minimum I would go, depending on the quality of the unit, not all are created equal as far as contact time, etc.
I run a 114 watt unit on my 270 and have it connected just after my return pump with a bypsss so I can remove the unit for occassional cleaning. I had previously ran a 57 watt unit on a 240 then the 270 and it was ineffective for dinos.

Last edited:

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Steve I'm going too agree with this ...I got my dinos when I switched my lights out ...I've always run my tank with heavy blues ...but the blues on the new lights (kessils A360we) too my eyes were different..after I read this post I checked my thread too see ...and I'm sure this was a factor in my dinos ....especially as my tank has always been a high nutrient tank ....I was surprised when I got them ...
Dinos can survive under any lighting that can grow coral, but because they are very closely related to the symbiodinium that live in our corals, problem dinos also love the heavy blues that corals do.
If you switch color to something a little redder like 6500K you may find that green algae pop up more, and that is usually a healthy step in the replacement of dinos. I believe the fact that my tank is partially sunlit was a factor that helped me get over dinos without uv or any other extreme interventions.

Pennywise the Clown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dinos can survive under any lighting that can grow coral, but because they are very closely related to the symbiodinium that live in our corals, problem dinos also love the heavy blues that corals do.
If you switch color to something a little redder like 6500K you may find that green algae pop up more, and that is usually a healthy step in the replacement of dinos. I believe the fact that my tank is partially sunlit was a factor that helped me get over dinos without uv or any other extreme interventions.
I've set my Hydras to 6500k.
What a difference from the 20000k I normally run.
One thing that strikes me straight away is that there is far more green in my tank than I thought, and the brown patches in my sand are actually slightly green too.
I can see every detail and I actually quite like the look.
I will see how things go and report back.

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so here's a video of my tank today ...and I can definitely see a big improvement today ..the dinos are noticeably less ....this really gives me hope for the first time in months :)

Unfortunately the tank looks empty as I have lost a lot of corals .

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so here's a video of my tank today ...and I can definitely see a big improvement today ..the dinos are noticeably less ....this really gives me hope for the first time in months :)

Unfortunately the tank looks empty as I have lost a lot of corals .

So Jason, you have amphidinium, removed your sand, and dosing silicates correct? Are you measuring Si? Using UV?

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tomorrow I'm gonna get a saliferts si test ..I have been running a eheim 7w UV...hanging it in the tank at night ..and I'm waiting for my new 36w jebo UV which should be here next week ...

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jeffmlc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6732D883-69F9-4FF9-BA3B-2DF4F04192C0.jpeg
6A11B1F8-E00E-4E8C-B38C-8CDAD4848781.jpeg
Need help in identifying these, not sure which they are

Jeffmlc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so what’s the newest best solution, I’ve read about have of his post, man it’s long, and I’m doing most everything it has said, but still have them have a 55 watt up runing blow off rock and glass and substrate, have a 1 micron diesel filter sock, on the return. Have dosed with metro e days in row, that seems to have done the most have my No3 at about 9ppm, phosphate not sure my Hanna test packs are out of date one said .05 the next said .3 not sure what else I can do.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 137 60.4%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 64 28.2%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 81 35.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 39 17.2%
  • Other

Votes: 63 27.8%
Back