Dinoflagellates – Are You Tired Of Battling Altogether?

jeremiah craven

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I see no traces of my small cell amphididium dinos left just a bunch of green hair algae . Now I need to get the GHA under control. How would you guys recommend getting rid of the GHA because I'm really affraid to get my nutrients too low as that is why I had dinos ? Should I do water changes and 3 day black out ? Manual removal and let CUC do the work ?

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I see no traces of my small cell amphididium dinos left just a bunch of green hair algae . Now I need to get the GHA under control. How would you guys recommend getting rid of the GHA because I'm really affraid to get my nutrients too low as that is why I had dinos ? Should I do water changes and 3 day black out ? Manual removal and let CUC do the work ?

Manual removal, ?sea hare? and let the CUC from there?

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What salty said.
A tank that's recently had dinos probably should not try to control algae by restricting P and N.
I'd advise 2 things.
Grow and export as much algae as possible outside the display (ATS, Fuge etc.)
Get actual good herbivores. Not just "clean up crew" much of which are scavengers.

jeremiah craven

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What salty said.
A tank that's recently had dinos probably should not try to control algae by restricting P and N.
I'd advise 2 things.
Grow and export as much algae as possible outside the display (ATS, Fuge etc.)
Get actual good herbivores. Not just "clean up crew" much of which are scavengers.
I appreciate the response. My system is a 20 gallon cube so I'm not going to have the option for a fuge because of space . Seahare would be a wrecking ball in that size tank so what would you advise as far as herbivores? Conch,emerald crab etc????

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate the response. My system is a 20 gallon cube so I'm not going to have the option for a fuge because of space . Seahare would be a wrecking ball in that size tank so what would you advise as far as herbivores? Conch,emerald crab etc????
hmm....that's challenging.
I love urchins, lawnmower blennies, and a bunch of snails. Snails sold as "mini-strombus" are actually columbellid and multiply in a tank and are awesome. Stomatellas and ceriths reproduce for me in a tank as well. Issue is if your GHA is derbesia (probably) then those may not go for it. Emeralds can be good - females are less homicidal. I finally got a foxface for that purpose. A sea may be a more size-appropriate choice.
Maybe others can chime in.

Frank RiZZo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beat Dino’s after 8 months with this method

7DCDD5B0-A2CB-49C9-8960-AAF9E9C8515A.jpeg

Neoalchemist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

7DCDD5B0-A2CB-49C9-8960-AAF9E9C8515A.jpeg
You can beat any dino inside of 8 weeks with a combo of nutrient management, uv, and silicate dosing. If you did nothing for 8 months I would be willing to bet the dinos would go away on their own in that time frame.

nbd13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

So, I have a 150 SPS display tank, been up and running now for 4 months. Build thread here:

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/n...triton-method-reef.561173/page-2#post-6125075

I am having a battle with Dino's currently, the SPS look ok, their color and growth is pretty decent, BUT now these stupid diatoms are starting to cover them!!!

My PO4 on Hanna ultra low meter is 0.01-0.03 and my Nitrate is unmeasurable with salifert! When I used to have SPS tanks 12-20 years ago, I always had higher nutrient levels and it worked for me. I think I may have an imbalance going on here? I feed 2-3 times a day heavily. I have 11 fish. I do have an oversized skimmer, but always have since I love fish as much as SPS.

My chaeto in my fuge will not grow...too low of nutrients? I tried dosing some iodine. I have an ICP test I'm going to send off soon. I thought the Dino's may be consuming some of the nutrients, but I still can't believe I have 0 nitrate and PO4 at 0.01-0.03!

I have a large 40w UV sterilizer that I’ve been running since day one.

Do you think it needs to be cleaned?

I don’t have a microscopic to ID.

I try to blow the rocks and corals off and the diatoms return them them in a matter of hours!

I tried dosing H2O2 for the last 5 nights at 1ml/10 gallons and that hasn’t done anything. In fact maybe made it worse?!?!

I really don’t know what to do here? Clean my UV? Try to raise my nutrients with dosing?

Why does everyone say to not do water changes when battling diatoms?

lso I’ve lost a ton of my blue leg hermits...could it be toxic?

I’m loosing my mind. Need help!

77dace9900c6904ed8c43482cc579ef2.jpg

841b748f07dd752e4b9f7cda735a4681.jpg

1d3b2b89201e8312aaff627b3d3a6565.jpg

701c0ce2bed5a45353a5553c5606e94d.jpg

Kindred

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello: can I have help with ID, are the smaller golden ones dinos?, of so what kind? the very large ones have like legs an move around pretty quickly, what are they?..

this is a sample from my sandbed, theres a coating on it of brown that bubbles up sometimes...

0013.png

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yep bacteria will be a powerful intervention. We need to figure out the nuts and bolts of how it does what it does, and in which circumstance it ought be tried.
What kind of Dino did you have?

How about the little green/yellow guy

All those pics are cyano - it can move quite a lot. (Some looks like the corkscrew of spirulina). The exception is the golden cell dwest ID’d.

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello: can I have help with ID, are the smaller golden ones dinos?, of so what kind? the very large ones have like legs an move around pretty quickly, what are they?..

this is a sample from my sandbed, theres a coating on it of brown that bubbles up sometimes...

Smaller ones are amphidinium. Large things with “legs” are ciliates

Polyp Lagoon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there!

I’ve been battling Dino’s for months.
At this moment the tank looks better then ever, only at the loc-line return I’ll be able to see some Dino’s from time to time.

The only weird thing is I do see bubbles on my rocks, tiny ones but no strings or whatsoever. I was thinking it could be nitrogen escaping due to bacteria eating nitrates in my rocks.
Been doing the dirty method so my rocks contain a fair amount of nutrients.

So yesterday I took a sample of my rocks. The sample is made with 100X magnification. As you can see they are really small and fast moving! I'm worried though that they look to be spinng a bit.
I was hoping they are ciliates but im not sure. Anyone able to give me a ID? Maybe @taricha
Sorry, couldnt get it more into focus.

Kindred

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks so much, in the same image there are also some round ones that are darker, more a bronze color, in other areas I’ve found quite a few of those kind of “jiggling” about, do you know they are?

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks so much, in the same image there are also some round ones that are darker, more a bronze color, in other areas I’ve found quite a few of those kind of “jiggling” about, do you know they are?
maybe. Looks like coolia dinos to me. If they move like this, then that's what we've got.

As you can see they are really small and fast moving! I'm worried though that they look to be spinng a bit.
I was hoping they are ciliates but im not sure. Anyone able to give me a ID? Maybe @taricha
Sorry, couldnt get it more into focus.
could be small cell amphidinium dinos. could also be ciliates or other tiny zooming predators (good). Pic or two of your rocks where the bubbles are?

Polyp Lagoon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
maybe. Looks like coolia dinos to me. If they move like this, then that's what we've got.

could be small cell amphidinium dinos. could also be ciliates or other tiny zooming predators (good). Pic or two of your rocks where the bubbles are?

Thanks, i’ll make some pictures. I’ve been battling Amphidinium dinos for months. Let’s hope it’s dino eaters![emoji6]

nbd13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there anything I can do, these Dino’s are covering my sps now. I blow it off but it comes back literally within a few hours?!?!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back