Dinoflagellates – Are You Tired Of Battling Altogether?

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have also wondered if using dry rock could be part of the problem. Never even knew this stuff existed til now. Used all dry rock and sand.
I think so.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after adding UV and carbon I knocked the Coolia everywhere except my sand. Tried rinsing several times and it persists while my SPS die. Today I siphoned out my sandbed and hoping for the best. It was less than an inch in my 65 (about 2 gal worth in a bucket). Fingers crossed!
Often, we have more than one species it seems. You might have knocked out your coolia with UV, but still have amphidinium in the sand for example. I removed my sand about a year ago. I think it will help.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see, you don’t want to get to zero. I understand the paranoia for sure! Do you know if the phosphate reduction is directly related to the bacteria? Or are there binders or some other carbon source in the bottle such that you are essentially carbon dosing when you add it? Either way, this is new to me. I bet an expert will chime in at some point.

Got my second (after dinos) battlebox 2 weeks ago. That gives me a dozen or so acro frags that are doing well. I’m thinking about removing my GAC flow through reactor and going back to placing GAC in the sump in a bag. Are you running GAC?

I'm still running GAC but only changing it every 10-12 days now. Haven't seen any sign of toxicity and only amphidinium on the sand. I don't know what's in Dr Tim's Waste Away other than bacteria but every dip in PO4 was the day after dosing with it. Interestingly it seems to have much less effect on NO3 which have remained pretty stable at 3-5.

So, I scooped a tablespoon of dirty sand and put it in about 3cc of tank water and blew on it for several minutes with a pipette and made 3 different slides. These two dinos (amphidinium I presume) were all that I could find.

I also found a small patch of cyano and made 5 slides from it. I've always found dinos on the cyano when I couldn't find them any where else. Only thing other than the cyano was these two different kinds of diatoms. ;Happy

20191008_202004.jpg

Gildo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A big thank you to @mcarroll and @taricha oper this wonderful post.

I had been full of dino for a year, which in addition to their brown patina, they created agglomerates of dino and gel on the rocks, tubes and rear glass ....
lps died, sps still .... tried change, removal, uv, skim, light, refugium with algae ... nothing even the chaetomopha suffered !!!!! but I kept foolishly trying to keep no3 and po4 at 0!!!!!

Then I found this post, I immediately started massive doses of NO3 and PO4, without first observing the ID of the dino under the microscope. (what dino did you think?)

Time only one week, dino disappeared! in their place immediately a lot of diatoms and after a while the green cyanobacteria increased a lot.

Yesterday I found my old toy microscope that I was given as a present in 1985! well I don't see the wonderful images that you put in the picture, but something you see, I didn't see any dino, something that could seem dino, it was immobile and equal to 1% of the biomass, while I saw a very high number of small transparent snakes that they fidgeted! (What are????)

now I have to fight cyan greens and diatoms, but without unbalancing the system! Tips?

for 2 days I activated lamp and UV, yesterday I put skimmer at maximum power, and dosed a bit of h2o2, morning is dosed bacteria and I leave skim and UV off half a day ....
do you recommend anything else?

Thanks again,
sorry English, but I write from Italy

Gildo

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My problem is when I dose PO4 plummets from 0.16-0.18 down to 0.06. I then wait and over a couple of days it rises back to 0.16-0.2. Here's my Apex graph of PO4 for the last 2 weeks of this. I'd like to keep it around 0.06 to 0.1

My thought is to lower the dose to say 50cc and treat every day. Is that a reasonable plan?

I don't know what's in Dr Tim's Waste Away other than bacteria but every dip in PO4 was the day after dosing with it. Interestingly it seems to have much less effect on NO3 which have remained pretty stable at 3-5.

Thanks so much for these observations. It helps out a lot. Coincidentally, I'm currently doing beaker tests on Waste-Away to see if I can quantify what it does chemically when it "breaks down waste".
If you put a few mL of W.A into 1 L of water (I did 4mL / 1L) and do a PO4 test on the water, you'll find that W.A. is dense in PO4 and actually ADDs measurable PO4 to the system.

The flip side, as you noted is that it apparently consumes or causes PO4 to be consumed. I hadn't observed that in my tests.
I can't give definitive answer, but it seems as though the media in the bottles having high PO4 means waste away needs a lot of it. Upon addition to a tank, it could be consuming what's available. It could also be causing a mini-bloom in the water - increase of bacteria in water, and these bacteria take in PO4.
a few days later, the waste away or other bacteria may be dying and re-release most of the PO4 that didn't get exported.

you could level out the doses as you suggested. Dr. Tims also has a slow release version...

These two dinos (amphidinium I presume) were all that I could find.
Actually, the moving one looks like a cryptomonas-type thing. I get those in my sand occasionally. And the other one may not be a dino either. Looks essentially dino free!

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m very bad at this, but I think I see some ostreopsis in there. Have you tried UV?
Agree with dwest here.

saltyhog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks so much for these observations. It helps out a lot. Coincidentally, I'm currently doing beaker tests on Waste-Away to see if I can quantify what it does chemically when it "breaks down waste".
If you put a few mL of W.A into 1 L of water (I did 4mL / 1L) and do a PO4 test on the water, you'll find that W.A. is dense in PO4 and actually ADDs measurable PO4 to the system.

The flip side, as you noted is that it apparently consumes or causes PO4 to be consumed. I hadn't observed that in my tests.
I can't give definitive answer, but it seems as though the media in the bottles having high PO4 means waste away needs a lot of it. Upon addition to a tank, it could be consuming what's available. It could also be causing a mini-bloom in the water - increase of bacteria in water, and these bacteria take in PO4.
a few days later, the waste away or other bacteria may be dying and re-release most of the PO4 that didn't get exported.

you could level out the doses as you suggested. Dr. Tims also has a slow release version...

Actually, the moving one looks like a cryptomonas-type thing. I get those in my sand occasionally. And the other one may not be a dino either. Looks essentially dino free!

That makes perfect sense. My skimmer production goes way up for 24 hours or so after dosing and the smell changes...very unique for skimate . It sounds like I'm not completely exporting the PO4 consuming bacteria. I may have to empty my skimmer cup daily for a while.

I suspected as much! I only see diatoms on the slides other than those cryptomonas. In the past I only had a single diatom species but now I see at least 3 or 4 different ones.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That makes perfect sense. My skimmer production goes way up for 24 hours or so after dosing and the smell changes...very unique for skimate . It sounds like I'm not completely exporting the PO4 consuming bacteria. I may have to empty my skimmer cup daily for a while.

I suspected as much! I only see diatoms on the slides other than those cryptomonas. In the past I only had a single diatom species but now I see at least 3 or 4 different ones.
Very jealous that you kept your sand...

saltyhog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very jealous that you kept your sand...

It was a long struggle my friend. I might have been happier removing it but with several sand sleeping fish that I didn't want to rehome I felt like I had to take this route.

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cant get the thought out of my head that most dry fish foods add metals like copper as a nutrient. I read a thread from 2007 that someone got rid of dinos with cuprisorb copper remover.

Anyone have dinos that doesnt feed dry food ever?

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
some evidence that dinos require more metals than most other classes of photosynthetic organism.
Not sure if cuprisorb could drop metals enough to limit them, but it's not crazy and I don't recall it being experimented with.

saltyhog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cant get the thought out of my head that most dry fish foods add metals like copper as a nutrient. I read a thread from 2007 that someone got rid of dinos with cuprisorb copper remover.

Anyone have dinos that doesnt feed dry food ever?

Never fed anything but frozen and nori and got dinos in both tanks.

Cory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also feed nori. Connection?

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also feed nori. Connection?
Nori is so packed with vitamins and trace elements.
Once had a guy who was so convinced his nori caused his dinos that he sent me his dried nori sheets to check under the microscope for dino cells.
Of course they were clean, but feeding them strongly encouraged his dinos.

Cory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nori is so packed with vitamins and trace elements.
Once had a guy who was so convinced his nori caused his dinos that he sent me his dried nori sheets to check under the microscope for dino cells.
Of course they were clean, but feeding them strongly encouraged his dinos.
Maybe its the nori! Lol i suspect anything that reefers feed in common now...

MadTownFess

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At my wits end. Tank is 11 months old, been battling dino for the last 8 months. Tank parameters are stable and grow Coraline like crazy. I had both Ostro and Amphidinum. Started the tank off with dry reef saver rock. Made the rookie mistake of starting off with GFO from day one. This obviously led to 0 phosphate,hence the dino. I started off increasing my phosphate to .05. It has been this way now for 6 months. Nitrate has always been 5-10 ppm. After that didn't do much as I was trying to be patient, Didnt work, so I got a UV sterilizer. This did a pretty good job of killing Ostro,keeping them to a minimum. I turned off the skimmer. Did 5 gallon water changes (45 gallon system) to suck out all the dinos in the sand bed. After a few months of this, still kept coming back. I read the dosing Silca can help overcome Amph, so did that for a few weeks until I saw a diatom bloom. Diatoms came and went, still dino. I finally starting getting some green turf algae on my rockwork, so thought this was a good sign and that maybe it would out compete it. I stopped doing water changes. as I heard this could fuel them. Trying to be patient and see how things play out, this went on for a few months, still dino. Doing even more research, I thought for sure my problem was now was lack of biodiversity. So 2 months ago, I did a 3 day blackout, and ordered 16,000 copepods from AlgaeBarn. After the blackout, I added the pods, and started dosing phytoplankon daily (10 mL), Added another 16,000 pods. So its now been two months since adding the pods, dosing phyto daily...my phosphate is now up to .1. The dinos are still there. So for three weeks I siphoned the sand bed daily into a 5 micron sock, and putting the water back in the tank. That too, didn't seem to help. So I tried daily dosing of H202, for two weeks, same result. So I did another 3 day blackout dosing H202, same result....just took a sample of green turf algae, and the dinos are still in it. Nothing gets completely rid of them. I can keep them in check with these methods, but they never go away completely. I am out of ideas. Depressed.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At my wits end. Tank is 11 months old, been battling dino for the last 8 months. Tank parameters are stable and grow Coraline like crazy. I had both Ostro and Amphidinum. Started the tank off with dry reef saver rock. Made the rookie mistake of starting off with GFO from day one. This obviously led to 0 phosphate,hence the dino. I started off increasing my phosphate to .05. It has been this way now for 6 months. Nitrate has always been 5-10 ppm. After that didn't do much as I was trying to be patient, Didnt work, so I got a UV sterilizer. This did a pretty good job of killing Ostro,keeping them to a minimum. I turned off the skimmer. Did 5 gallon water changes (45 gallon system) to suck out all the dinos in the sand bed. After a few months of this, still kept coming back. I read the dosing Silca can help overcome Amph, so did that for a few weeks until I saw a diatom bloom. Diatoms came and went, still dino. I finally starting getting some green turf algae on my rockwork, so thought this was a good sign and that maybe it would out compete it. I stopped doing water changes. as I heard this could fuel them. Trying to be patient and see how things play out, this went on for a few months, still dino. Doing even more research, I thought for sure my problem was now was lack of biodiversity. So 2 months ago, I did a 3 day blackout, and ordered 16,000 copepods from AlgaeBarn. After the blackout, I added the pods, and started dosing phytoplankon daily (10 mL), Added another 16,000 pods. So its now been two months since adding the pods, dosing phyto daily...my phosphate is now up to .1. The dinos are still there. So for three weeks I siphoned the sand bed daily into a 5 micron sock, and putting the water back in the tank. That too, didn't seem to help. So I tried daily dosing of H202, for two weeks, same result. So I did another 3 day blackout dosing H202, same result....just took a sample of green turf algae, and the dinos are still in it. Nothing gets completely rid of them. I can keep them in check with these methods, but they never go away completely. I am out of ideas. Depressed.
Sorry. I understand your pain. Dealt with dinos for almost a year.

I agree with everything you did up to the blackout. I still think you can beat these. Keep nutrients elevated, keep UV running. I personally removed my sand to get rid of amphidinium. Others have had success with dosing silicates. You had the green algae going, so you were almost there. Get the green going for a while and you’ll eventually win this war.

Good luck!

saltyhog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with @dwest! The other thing that I did that seemed to push me over the edge to success was to add bacterial cultures I did mainly Dr. Tim's Waste Away but also used some Microbacter7. I can't find any evidence of dinos at this time.

Don't give up, it definitely isn't a battle won over night!

Cory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do yoh feed nori? Or another form of algae?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back