Dinoflagellates – Are You Tired Of Battling Altogether?

merereef

View Badges
Reaction score
I know you might find this odd however i noticed my dinos seem to be ok in very dim light or even if the lights are off they stay in the sand. So ive decided to turn the lights on full blast and see what happens.. reason for this is i noticed i had dinos everywhere except the rocks closest to the light. Now it wasnt the flow that was stopping this as i tested it with the powerheads off so MAYBE having brighter lights maybe kills them off not sure but i will try this. I was reading through the threads and some people DID upgrade the lights and upped the feeding and it went away on its own. So im going to start feeding heavy as hydrogen peroxdie/ dino x lights out. Low light, syphoning sand, no water changes etc nothing seems to be working. So im going to try heavy feeding with bright lights and run uv steriliser

Grigs

View Badges
Reaction score
I completed two courses of blackout and Dr Tim's Dino killer plan, and think that I am on my way... NO3 is slightly >10ppm for the past two weeks and PO4 has to be dosed to stay elevated. I am attempting to maintain at approx 0.03ppm.

I am in the midst of a rather massive algae outbreak now. I went ahead and dosed Flux Rx because it's a bit silly and starting to produce bubbles. I have growth on my sanbed, as well, but it isn't clumping like dinos were or blowing bubbles down there. I grabbed a video of a sample from the rock.

Does this look like algae or ostreopsis? or both... lol

Attachments

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
I completed two courses of blackout and Dr Tim's Dino killer plan, and think that I am on my way... NO3 is slightly >10ppm for the past two weeks and PO4 has to be dosed to stay elevated. I am attempting to maintain at approx 0.03ppm.

I am in the midst of a rather massive algae outbreak now. I went ahead and dosed Flux Rx because it's a bit silly and starting to produce bubbles. I have growth on my sanbed, as well, but it isn't clumping like dinos were or blowing bubbles down there. I grabbed a video of a sample from the rock.

Doesnt look like dinos but im no expert. Kind of looks like phytoplankton.

dwest

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score

Sorry, I can’t see the video on my iPad. If there is motion, likely dinos.

How excited are you about the new R2R Market?

• Excited or Interested

Votes: 391 76.4%
  • Not that excited or interested

Votes: 121 23.6%

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors
Reef-A-Palooza Chicago 2019
Live Fish Food Combo Packs - AlgaeBarn.com