Dinoflagellates – Are You Tired Of Battling Altogether?

Orangutran

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sad to be making this ID post... I battled dinos twice before, and tank has been ugly since with GHA, cyano, BA, bryopsis. Anyway, still seeing a lot of brown slime (with no air bubbles). Finally have time to put it under the microscope. Any help is greatly appreciated...@taricha

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone ID from these pics? I will try to get better ones this weekend.
No. The bright cells and dark background makes a lot of features unfamiliar. Can't ID from those.
Okay. Re identified as oster Dino’s after microscope.
bought a 24w green killing machine to upgrade from my 9w for my 75gal.

Nitrates at 10ppm
PO4 at 25.

very little light.
after a week of UV.

more Dino’s than ever before
That is crazy, and does not fit.
Is the sand clearing overnight (are they going in the water)?
If not, the ostreopsis are very immobile and totally out of character.
If so, then the cheap UV is not working at all.
Any help is greatly appreciated...
Ostreopsis

Orangutran

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ostreopsis
Thanks the ID! Is it normal for ostreopsis to be on the rocks and glass only? Nothing on the sand. And it does not go away at night, at least not that I notice.

I will hook up the UV in the display, currently in the sump and it's having no effect...

Wxguy23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. The bright cells and dark background makes a lot of features unfamiliar. Can't ID from those.

That is crazy, and does not fit.

Ostreopsis
It goes away at night. Then comes back.

Pennywise the Clown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There have been no signs of dinos in my display for over 8 months now and my UV sterilizer has been gone for 6 months.
Just out of interest I decided to take some samples from the sand bed and put them under the microscope.
I was very surprised to see the odd dino swimming around.
Is this normal? I hear that dinos are in every display whether you can see them or not. Or are the little buggers about to launch another major offensive?
I make sure the I have nutrients in my display and have a little GHA growing in places.

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It goes away at night. Then comes back.
This tells me the UV is not doing its job... at all. Those cheap ones can work, or easily be defective. I've used that model before. (You have the UV in the display, right?)

There have been no signs of dinos in my display for over 8 months now and my UV sterilizer has been gone for 6 months.
Just out of interest I decided to take some samples from the sand bed and put them under the microscope.
I was very surprised to see the odd dino swimming around.
Is this normal? I hear that dinos are in every display whether you can see them or not. Or are the little buggers about to launch another major offensive?
I make sure the I have nutrients in my display and have a little GHA growing in places.
Some tanks under some situations, you can pour test tubes of live dinos into it (I've done it) and not have them take over. To me that's a sign of health - or at least resilience as far as nuisance outbreaks are concerned.

Orangutran

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Does osteoporosis always have to go into the water column at night? Just curious as mine does not... So does that make UV ineffective?

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks the ID! Is it normal for ostreopsis to be on the rocks and glass only? Nothing on the sand. And it does not go away at night, at least not that I notice.

I will hook up the UV in the display, currently in the sump and it's having no effect...
Does osteoporosis always have to go into the water column at night? Just curious as mine does not... So does that make UV ineffective?
All of our problem dinos except for large cell amphidenium go into the water at night to some extent. How much depends on the nutrient strategies and habits of the particular type. Ostreopsis is the most prone to go into the water. Those kinds less likely to go into the water can be encouraged to do so by making their current habitat less comfortable, such as cutting the light and blasting surfaces with turkey baster. Ostreopsis also seek out higher flow surfaces to attach to than most other kinds. So it is much more likely to show up on rocks and glass than sand.
A UV unit in the sump will do very little. These cells swim looking for certain specific things and places to attach to. They are not like a dissolved nutrient that evenly spreads everywhere in the water.

Xavier434

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. I'm having my own battle with Dinos for months now. I have been researching them a lot and especially reading this thread.

I have a several questions.

• I know blackouts often do not wipe them out, but what if the blackout lasts for 2-3 weeks? How long can the Dinos potentially survive without any light at all? Luckily I have very few corals in my tank and I plan to move them to another tank if I go through with a lengthy blackout.

• Can anyone recommend a microscope that takes pictures for around $50 or so?

• I do have a UV unit in my sump that is attached to the return pump plumbing. I see from a recent post above that having it in the sump won't help much and that taking water directly from the display is recommended. Is there an ideal location to extract the water from in the display such as having the hose near the bottom/middle/top?

• I have a bunch of Fluconazole that I have not used yet. Any chance it might kill the Dinos if used during a blackout?

Here are some tank specs and other relevant information about the tank.
  • 190 gal Waterbox
  • Tank is 1 year old
  • Current Bio Load: 11 fish, some hermits, and shrimp
  • Nitrate 5 ppm
  • Phosphate usually around 0.02 ppm. New goal is to up that to 0.10 ppm because I heard that might help.
  • Protein Skimmer current running but without collection cup attached.
  • No GFO or Carbon bags
  • No confirmed ID on which Dino I have yet.
  • I can post pictures and take videos if you think it will help. Just ask.

Thank you in advance. Any advice is very appreciated.

kngt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for this thread. Are these Amphidinium?

Last edited:

Wxguy23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This tells me the UV is not doing its job... at all. Those cheap ones can work, or easily be defective. I've used that model before. (You have the UV in the display, right?)
Thanks. It’s brand new. But might not work. At $100, I’ll send back.
what should I get?

Some tanks under some situations, you can pour test tubes of live dinos into it (I've done it) and not have them take over. To me that's a sign of health - or at least resilience as far as nuisance outbreaks are concerned.

Orangutran

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of our problem dinos except for large cell amphidenium go into the water at night to some extent. How much depends on the nutrient strategies and habits of the particular type. Ostreopsis is the most prone to go into the water. Those kinds less likely to go into the water can be encouraged to do so by making their current habitat less comfortable, such as cutting the light and blasting surfaces with turkey baster. Ostreopsis also seek out higher flow surfaces to attach to than most other kinds. So it is much more likely to show up on rocks and glass than sand.
A UV unit in the sump will do very little. These cells swim looking for certain specific things and places to attach to. They are not like a dissolved nutrient that evenly spreads everywhere in the water.

What you said makes so much sense and explains my situation perfectly! I never knew these buggers have a preference in terms of flow etc...!! Really appreciate your input and this thread altogether, has saved me more than once.

I'll order another UV for the display, and go lights out to make them "uncomfortable". Fingers cross.

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What you said makes so much sense and explains my situation perfectly! I never knew these buggers have a preference in terms of flow etc...!! Really appreciate your input and this thread altogether, has saved me more than once.

I'll order another UV for the display, and go lights out to make them "uncomfortable". Fingers cross.
In the mean time, you can hang some filter floss in front of a power head in plenty of light and flow. You will be amazed what a large percent of ostreopsis will attach to the rough surface in high flow and good light. You can export huge numbers that way. I've called it "poor man's UV", but really it might be even more effective, because when you pull it out in early afternoon and wash it under tap water you export the cells whereas UV only kills cells and leaves them in the tank.

Rodey09

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an outbreak in my tank. Everything I have read leads me to believe it is a dino outbreak. The only thing I can think of is that we moved from city water to well water and my DI cartridge went bad. I did top off some water with RO at approximately 20 ppm tds. Anyway, I will look into an in tank UV sterilizer. I have attached some pics. Do the images look like dino's or something else? Any help is appreciated.
20191030_200710.jpg
20191030_200614.jpg

20191030_200518.jpg 20191030_200451.jpg

fluidimagery

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could someone help me identify these dinos? I may have several types of algae's going on. Tank is almost 2 years old, at some point I bottomed my nutrients out and also switch lightening around the same time. Pulled the rocks about a month ago and scrubbed them with H202 3% and the tank looked good for about 2 weeks and it started coming back. The dinos are seeming to get progressively worse. Nitrate was around 5 and PO4 was .04 last test a few days ago.

Last edited:

Barracuda85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, new here to the forum, and about 1.5y into my tank.

I found this thread and will try my luck to get an answer here....

Battling Dinos since a couple of weeks, today I finally managed to get a microscope and look at the, looks like Ostreopsis to me, can please some members here confirm that? I would really much appreciate it.

Chris

20191101_194855.jpg
20191101_195008.jpg
20191101_195118.jpg

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back