Dinoflagellates – Are You Tired Of Battling Altogether?

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could someone help me identify these dinos? I may have several types of algae's going on.
Ostreopsis. That's the only thing of concern here that I see.

looks like Ostreopsis to me, can please some members here confirm that? I would really much appreciate it.
Nope! These are prorocentrum. Tougher to get into the water than ostreopsis. Short blackout blasting with turkey baster can help get these into the water to be killed by UV.

Barracuda85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ostreopsis. That's the only thing of concern here that I see.

Nope! These are prorocentrum. Tougher to get into the water than ostreopsis. Short blackout blasting with turkey baster can help get these into the water to be killed by UV.

Thank you taricha for your ID and helpful tips, will try the turkey baster and UV (in display tank, right?).
Any input on skimming during all this and adding Phosphate and Nitrate? Would adding pods and phytoplankton do any good (or eventually make it worse?)

What is to do about water flow in tank? increase? decrease?

Thanks again for all the helpful tips, reading through a lot of the thread to get a bigger idea about all of this.

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
will try the turkey baster and UV (in display tank, right?).
Any input on skimming during all this and adding Phosphate and Nitrate? Would adding pods and phytoplankton do any good (or eventually make it worse?)

What is to do about water flow in tank? increase? decrease?
Yes, UV in display tank.
Yes, skimming.
Assuming the tank was low in N or P, then dosing inorganic forms (not fish food) to bring those up usually helps.
Pods and phyto end up feeding a toxic dino bloom. Not usually helping.
No recommendation on changing flow.

DesertReefT4r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ID on this dino please.

20191102_185259.jpg 20191102_184601.jpg

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. I'm having my own battle with Dinos for months now. I have been researching them a lot and especially reading this thread.

I have a several questions.

• I know blackouts often do not wipe them out, but what if the blackout lasts for 2-3 weeks? How long can the Dinos potentially survive without any light at all? Luckily I have very few corals in my tank and I plan to move them to another tank if I go through with a lengthy blackout.

• Can anyone recommend a microscope that takes pictures for around $50 or so?

• I do have a UV unit in my sump that is attached to the return pump plumbing. I see from a recent post above that having it in the sump won't help much and that taking water directly from the display is recommended. Is there an ideal location to extract the water from in the display such as having the hose near the bottom/middle/top?

• I have a bunch of Fluconazole that I have not used yet. Any chance it might kill the Dinos if used during a blackout?

Here are some tank specs and other relevant information about the tank.
  • 190 gal Waterbox
  • Tank is 1 year old
  • Current Bio Load: 11 fish, some hermits, and shrimp
  • Nitrate 5 ppm
  • Phosphate usually around 0.02 ppm. New goal is to up that to 0.10 ppm because I heard that might help.
  • Protein Skimmer current running but without collection cup attached.
  • No GFO or Carbon bags
  • No confirmed ID on which Dino I have yet.
  • I can post pictures and take videos if you think it will help. Just ask.

Thank you in advance. Any advice is very appreciated.

1) Blackouts will help get the dinos into the water column -- all but large cell amphidinium. I don't know the answer to how long they can survive without light. To go complete black, you need to cover the tank top and sides.
2) You can use your camera phone to shoot the video and purchase any hobby grade microscope. Video is better, as the motion of the dinos is very indicative.
3) Running the UV directly in the affected display is nearly mandatory. They are more local than even I imagined. Right now, I have 3 tanks served by the same sumps. All one body of water. I only have dinos in ONE of the three tanks. When (soon) this episode is over, I will move it back down to the sump to get it out of the way.
4) Fluc won't work on dinos. Dinos are have photosynthetic properties but are free protists, not plants.

ps, I have seen the WB 190 a few times. Nice tank.

Qasimja

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
does this sound/look like dinos to you all? only grows on the sand bed really fired up 3 weeks ago when i did a water change. in the morning when the lights turn on theres no trace of it but if i dont stir the sand bed in a few hours after the lights cut on my sand bed will be covered with it

the picture is the same area the second picture is when the lights first turn on in the morning

20191101_134825.jpg 20191101_134831.jpg 20191102_104538.jpg

JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
does this sound/look like dinos to you all? only grows on the sand bed really fired up 3 weeks ago when i did a water change. in the morning when the lights turn on theres no trace of it but if i dont stir the sand bed in a few hours after the lights cut on my sand bed will be covered with it

the picture is the same area the second picture is when the lights first turn on in the morning

Looks like Diatoms to me.

Luisreefmexico

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know what percentage of folks had luck battling dinos with any of the methods in the old Dino thread but it's obviously a very low percentage, so I'd like refresh folks on the natural alternatives and lay out three areas of info:
  • some of the factors that contribute to a dino outbreak
  • how to avoid common dino outbreaks
  • and what do if your tank is already having an outbreak
Let's get started!

Common Contributing Factors
Some of the most common factors that contribute to the dino outbreaks we cover in this thread are:
  • the tank being new, rock being immature or the tank being otherwise highly disturbed, such as by other harsh tank treatments
  • hard core nutrient reduction tools being used, such as
    • organic carbon dosing
    • excess "bio media"
    • algae filtration
    • nutrient adsorbing media like GFO
These four factors, or excess nutrient removal generally, play – usually in combination; rarely just one factor alone – pretty directly into dino's conversion to the blooming, phagotrophic, mat forming, toxin-producing side of their nature.
  • Starvation Is Their Cue
    • Dino's seem to prefer life as autotrophic epiphytes on macro algae – chaeto morpha seems to be one of their favorite types to host in. (Maybe this fact can be useful to us; maybe sometimes chaeto ought not be used, or used with special consideration)
    • For several reasons, dino's seem to be terrible at nutrient uptake. This means they are more prone to starvation than many or most other microorganisms they have to compete with.....especially bacteria, which can scavenge free nutrients down to CRAZY low levels...low enough to starve out other microbes or algae.
    • With their protective mucus mats, potential to generate wicked toxins, and ability to survive not only by way of photosynthesis and dissolved nutrients, but alternately, when times get tough, by "eating their neighbors". (The least of their tricks.)
    • Dino's generally gain a competitive edge against their competitors AND their predators in a nutrient-starved environment. Keep reading!
How To Avoid Having A Dino Outbreak
In a nutshell, here's how to avoid dino outbreaks and begin to normalize your tank if you already have an outbreak:
  • Phosphate Control
  • Nitrate Control
  • Starvation conditions (zero or near-zero nitrate or phosphate levels) should be avoided.
    • Keep in mind that dissolved nutrients are not "waste products" to be eliminated
    • They are nutrients for the critters you care about like corals
    • The are also nutrients for a potential multitude of mostly-unknown/anonymous microbes that are needed to bring stability to a new tank.
    • Once excess nutrients have an impact, in fact, they usually can't be simply eliminated with media anyway – they've probably already had an impact on the tank's microbial cycle. (See blog link #3 at bottom.)
    • This all adds up to skipping almost all "extra" nutrient removing steps during the tank's initial development. This period seems to be especially critical, and longer in a tank started with dry, dead rock. Don't use anything until it's absolutely needed and other options have been fully exhausted...and be conservative with how you apply any nutrient removing tool.
What to do if you're tank is already having a dino outbreak
When attempting to control an organism like a dinoflagellate, confirming the ID will help, if possible:
  • So to begin with, make sure you have Dinos – you should have multiple factors at work...these factors were mentioned in the first section above. The less these factors seem to describe your tank, the less likely any of this advice will be correct for your situation – so post questions! :)
    • no special equipment is needed to confirm whether your algae sample has dino's and/or other algae
    • Use @taricha's dino confirmation guide on posts #986-987.
  • Once you have confirmed that you have dino's you should ideally figure out what type(s) your tank is hosting. (Multiple species blooms seem almost as common as single-strain blooms.)
    • A basic 1200x microscope will be useful and doesn't have to be fancier than a $15 toy scope. Even a $50 scope is a lot nicer, if you think you might be more serious about it.
    • See: Selecting a microscope for more discussion.

• Extra Measures
    Generally, these tools will give extra control in terms of removing and/or killing cells in the water column....usually, along with other measures explained here, expediting the close of the dino bloom.
    • UV
      You can find discussions throughout the thread by using this search, with a great breakout of spec's on post #3770.
    • Diatom Filtration
      Effective, but not that popular. The more common units like the classic Vortex are somewhat difficult to use, and the newer units like the new Marineland Polishing Filter are relatively unknown. Still worthy of consideration.
So, after you get a measure of control, make sure you read What is the End Game?

Miscellaneous Goodies

• Take measures to assure that your feeding system is very consistent. An auto-feeder is an overlooked tool on most tanks. Look at Eheim's feeders...set them on low with high quality flake food. Just don't let them run your whole feeding program as flake isn't great food.

• Find out what inconsistencies you can eliminate with your husbandry to prevent more unneeded disturbances and the resulting microbial/algal changes. This could be changes to lighting or water chemistry – make them as consistent as you can.

• E.g. If you're adding new livestock all the time, stop it. If you have a color-tunable light fixture, stop re-tuning the colors. If you don't have an ATO keeping your salinity stable, get one. If you're still managing your dosing by hand, get an $80 4-head doser. Etc.

• If you provide the stability, then your dino's competitors will start competing with them and their predators will start eating them!!

• One thing that seems to help things progress is to stop scraping down the algae off your glass....once the dino's start giving up space that is. Mechanical removal is a legit short-term strategy and might help give competitors a leg up too.

Other interesting more-or-less related links on my blog:
(Also cross-posted in the old Dino thread!)
I don't know what percentage of folks had luck battling dinos with any of the methods in the old Dino thread but it's obviously a very low percentage, so I'd like refresh folks on the natural alternatives and lay out three areas of info:
  • some of the factors that contribute to a dino outbreak
  • how to avoid common dino outbreaks
  • and what do if your tank is already having an outbreak
Let's get started!

Common Contributing Factors
Some of the most common factors that contribute to the dino outbreaks we cover in this thread are:
  • the tank being new, rock being immature or the tank being otherwise highly disturbed, such as by other harsh tank treatments
  • hard core nutrient reduction tools being used, such as
    • organic carbon dosing
    • excess "bio media"
    • algae filtration
    • nutrient adsorbing media like GFO
These four factors, or excess nutrient removal generally, play – usually in combination; rarely just one factor alone – pretty directly into dino's conversion to the blooming, phagotrophic, mat forming, toxin-producing side of their nature.
  • Starvation Is Their Cue
    • Dino's seem to prefer life as autotrophic epiphytes on macro algae – chaeto morpha seems to be one of their favorite types to host in. (Maybe this fact can be useful to us; maybe sometimes chaeto ought not be used, or used with special consideration)
    • For several reasons, dino's seem to be terrible at nutrient uptake. This means they are more prone to starvation than many or most other microorganisms they have to compete with.....especially bacteria, which can scavenge free nutrients down to CRAZY low levels...low enough to starve out other microbes or algae.
    • With their protective mucus mats, potential to generate wicked toxins, and ability to survive not only by way of photosynthesis and dissolved nutrients, but alternately, when times get tough, by "eating their neighbors". (The least of their tricks.)
    • Dino's generally gain a competitive edge against their competitors AND their predators in a nutrient-starved environment. Keep reading!
How To Avoid Having A Dino Outbreak
In a nutshell, here's how to avoid dino outbreaks and begin to normalize your tank if you already have an outbreak:
  • Phosphate Control
  • Nitrate Control
  • Starvation conditions (zero or near-zero nitrate or phosphate levels) should be avoided.
    • Keep in mind that dissolved nutrients are not "waste products" to be eliminated
    • They are nutrients for the critters you care about like corals
    • The are also nutrients for a potential multitude of mostly-unknown/anonymous microbes that are needed to bring stability to a new tank.
    • Once excess nutrients have an impact, in fact, they usually can't be simply eliminated with media anyway – they've probably already had an impact on the tank's microbial cycle. (See blog link #3 at bottom.)
    • This all adds up to skipping almost all "extra" nutrient removing steps during the tank's initial development. This period seems to be especially critical, and longer in a tank started with dry, dead rock. Don't use anything until it's absolutely needed and other options have been fully exhausted...and be conservative with how you apply any nutrient removing tool.
What to do if you're tank is already having a dino outbreak
When attempting to control an organism like a dinoflagellate, confirming the ID will help, if possible:
  • So to begin with, make sure you have Dinos – you should have multiple factors at work...these factors were mentioned in the first section above. The less these factors seem to describe your tank, the less likely any of this advice will be correct for your situation – so post questions! :)
    • no special equipment is needed to confirm whether your algae sample has dino's and/or other algae
    • Use @taricha's dino confirmation guide on posts #986-987.
  • Once you have confirmed that you have dino's you should ideally figure out what type(s) your tank is hosting. (Multiple species blooms seem almost as common as single-strain blooms.)
    • A basic 1200x microscope will be useful and doesn't have to be fancier than a $15 toy scope. Even a $50 scope is a lot nicer, if you think you might be more serious about it.
    • See: Selecting a microscope for more discussion.

• Extra Measures
    Generally, these tools will give extra control in terms of removing and/or killing cells in the water column....usually, along with other measures explained here, expediting the close of the dino bloom.
    • UV
      You can find discussions throughout the thread by using this search, with a great breakout of spec's on post #3770.
    • Diatom Filtration
      Effective, but not that popular. The more common units like the classic Vortex are somewhat difficult to use, and the newer units like the new Marineland Polishing Filter are relatively unknown. Still worthy of consideration.
So, after you get a measure of control, make sure you read What is the End Game?

Miscellaneous Goodies

• Take measures to assure that your feeding system is very consistent. An auto-feeder is an overlooked tool on most tanks. Look at Eheim's feeders...set them on low with high quality flake food. Just don't let them run your whole feeding program as flake isn't great food.

• Find out what inconsistencies you can eliminate with your husbandry to prevent more unneeded disturbances and the resulting microbial/algal changes. This could be changes to lighting or water chemistry – make them as consistent as you can.

• E.g. If you're adding new livestock all the time, stop it. If you have a color-tunable light fixture, stop re-tuning the colors. If you don't have an ATO keeping your salinity stable, get one. If you're still managing your dosing by hand, get an $80 4-head doser. Etc.

• If you provide the stability, then your dino's competitors will start competing with them and their predators will start eating them!!

• One thing that seems to help things progress is to stop scraping down the algae off your glass....once the dino's start giving up space that is. Mechanical removal is a legit short-term strategy and might help give competitors a leg up too.

Other interesting more-or-less related links on my blog:
(Also cross-posted in the old Dino thread!)
hello!!!
@taricha
Could you help me with a Dino id

I had ostreopsis and bought a uv lamp, the algae had a great reduction also i rise my nutrient nitrates around 100ppm an phosphates .21 ppm

but in the sand I can see some of them, I took some of the sand to verified if is ostreopsis but I can’t identify it.
this are the videos
i hope you can help me

Attachments

• IMG_5011.MOV
    21.4 MB
  • IMG_5013.MOV
    34 MB
  • IMG_5016.MOV
    34.4 MB

AaronFReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has the contents of this thread been made into an article? I haven’t had the fortitude to peruse the entire thread again to find how to defeat my coolia infestation and upping nutrients and adding my Jebao Uv back has not been enough. Search functionality has been broken for a while for iOS as well which is not helping. I did a 36 hour blackout period which helped temporarily.

RMS18

I keep water chemistry as my hobby
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm feed up, most of this post is an outlet to vent from the extreme frustration i have been going through for months.. Out of this frustration i am mad at vendors, follow my protocol, buy my bacteria, do this, do that, just for it all to come back. How many power heads have been developed over the past few months? Skimmers? Lights? The Tech in this hobby has taken off as if we were in the fashion world but what about the problems a lot of us face with Dinos? I feel it's more and more common, and yet no cure no one want to take this on? I have spent probably close to $1000 in bacteria, lost $600-$800 in corals. It feels as if i'm always buying something to combat them or start this or start that. To see Dinos growing on the fins of your fish, who know what it feels like for them to be in a tank of nasty gunk. It really has gotten to a point for me that it ruins my day. I do not hang out in the room with the tanks anymore. i don't want to be around them, its not fun. I truly think this is my last, my absolute last reach for a solution before i leave this hobby for good.

I have a 120 and a 8 gallon. Both have amphidinium per an Id from a post i did in the past. They started on my sand bed then rocks, power heads, over flow, returns, snails, corals and glass.

I have tried Dr. Tims method black out, Waste away and Refresh. Worked for 2 days after the lights were back on. Within 4 days they were covering 70% of the tank again.

I have tried H202 - made it worse. The days after h202 the dinos were covering more area than before. I even target sprayed the dinos with flow off and a syringe. I even injected h202 into the sand bed where dinos were.

I tired hitting areas with rodi water, flow off attempting to kill them with salinity shock.

I have tried UV - does nothing for dinos.

I tried elegant corals method of creating a bacteria bloom with vodka dosing. This was the worst mistake i made. It bottomed out my nutrients to 0 and 0 with po4 and no3.

I have tried to siphon out into a 5 micron sock and pump the water back in.

I have tried Dino-x, killed 1/2 of the sps frags i had. Followed the directions perfectly.

Tried Vibrant - did nothing but lower nutrients.

Tried sea lettuce as there was rumors it released a toxin that killed dinos.

I tried Silica dosing, a ton of bacteria dosing, skimmer off and dirty method. po4 is currently .3 and no3 is currently 20ppm and guess who is currently thriving more and more each day? Dinos!!! BTW no green algae anywhere in the tank.

All i care about is the health of the fish. The $800 in corals are worth losing at this point no reason to try and keep them alive if i have a chance at wining this.

I also have tried multiple orders from Indo Pacific Sea Farms for their live sand activator, miracle mud, pods for bio-diversity. Funny thing, the mud and sand were covered in dinos the following day!

All said and done i'm in the area of $2000-$2500 trying to rid the tanks of these things.

I would pay someone to come out to my house and fix this, i'm literally desperate.

I'm at the point of being so sour that i can say this, all of the posts to follow if any, will provide me with an option:
I have already tried, wait it out (which we know does not work), or break down the tank and start over. Crazy that at this point in this hobby from where it was 10 years ago there is no real solution.

Thanks for letting me vent some i do feel better inside. Any suggestions?

Last edited:

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry if i missed it, but besides the black outs you tried, did you try the no W/C method along with pods and phyto with only low level Blue spectrum lighting?

i had prorocentrum with some ostreopsis and ran my UV with this method and my 2 month nightmare subsided.

i ordered a 4 strain pod mix from algae barn with their ocean magik phyto blend and i after the first dose of pods and a week of dosing the phyto, i started seeing the dinos fade. i had a bottle of dinox on stand by just in case and i'm glad i never tried it.

DesertReefT4r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yep thqt sounds a lot like dinos. Get a microscope and get an Id on them.

RMS18

I keep water chemistry as my hobby
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry if i missed it, but besides the black outs you tried, did you try the no W/C method along with pods and phyto with only low level Blue spectrum lighting?

i had prorocentrum with some ostreopsis and ran my UV with this method and my 2 month nightmare subsided.

i ordered a 4 strain pod mix from algae barn with their ocean magik phyto blend and i after the first dose of pods and a week of dosing the phyto, i started seeing the dinos fade. i had a bottle of dinox on stand by just in case and i'm glad i never tried it.

Hey, yes thank you I forgot to mention I tired phyto. 4 bottles worth from algea barn. Dino's got worse after dosing. I even tried over dosing to cause a bloom.

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had ostreopsis and bought a uv lamp, the algae had a great reduction
While the UV got rid of ostreopsis, it will not touch Large cell amphidinium, which your videos confirm is what you are now looking at.

Luisreefmexico

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello!!!
@taricha
Could you help me with a Dino id

I had ostreopsis and bought a uv lamp, the algae had a great reduction also i rise my nutrient nitrates around 100ppm an phosphates .21 ppm

but in the sand I can see some of them, I took some of the sand to verified if is ostreopsis but I can’t identify it.
this are the videos
i hope you can help me

While the UV got rid of ostreopsis, it will not touch Large cell amphidinium, which your videos confirm is what you are now looking at.
Do you have a recomendation to beat it?

Xavier434

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1) Blackouts will help get the dinos into the water column -- all but large cell amphidinium. I don't know the answer to how long they can survive without light. To go complete black, you need to cover the tank top and sides.
2) You can use your camera phone to shoot the video and purchase any hobby grade microscope. Video is better, as the motion of the dinos is very indicative.
3) Running the UV directly in the affected display is nearly mandatory. They are more local than even I imagined. Right now, I have 3 tanks served by the same sumps. All one body of water. I only have dinos in ONE of the three tanks. When (soon) this episode is over, I will move it back down to the sump to get it out of the way.
4) Fluc won't work on dinos. Dinos are have photosynthetic properties but are free protists, not plants.

ps, I have seen the WB 190 a few times. Nice tank.

I really appreciate you taking the time to respond to my post. That is a very interesting scenario you got there with the 3 tanks and 1 sump and only one is impacted by DINOs.

Once I modify my setup so that the UV is running in the display, I am going to give that a week or two in order to evaluate the results. After that, if needed, I will proceed with a lengthy blackout. I will also see about capturing some video so that I can get a positive ID on these things.

I'm really trying hard not to break down the whole tank, but I am running out of options so I hope this works.

Barracuda85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, UV in display tank.
Yes, skimming.
Assuming the tank was low in N or P, then dosing inorganic forms (not fish food) to bring those up usually helps.
Pods and phyto end up feeding a toxic dino bloom. Not usually helping.
No recommendation on changing flow.

Thank you taricha, I did exactly that, and they seem to have vanished when turning off the light for 18 hours... Not sure what will happen if I turn the lights back on, should the UV have killed them all off? Any other idea how to get them out of the water once floating?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 34.7%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 16.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 24.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back