Dinoflagellates – Are You Tired Of Battling Altogether?

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
At this point Todd, it can stay there! Lol

From my research, I read about the dormancy and their ability to "cyst" for a indefinite amount of time.

Tank is doing great at 81, no reason to change now. Lol

Do you have a Pic of how you plumbed UV into your DT?

This is what I came up with, just going to hook it up to a jebao dct 2500 and hang it off the side of the tank.

20200805_124558.jpg

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@twilliard, what do you know about Ulva and dinoflagellates? I've got some coming for my refugium. Read that it may have a Allelopathy effect on them.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a Pic of how you plumbed UV into your DT?

This is what I came up with, just going to hook it up to a jebao dct 2500 and halg it off the side of the tank.

20200805_124558.jpg

I did something very similar. No picture of when it was attached to the DT. I mounted mine inside my canopy.

Edit: it's back down stairs mounted to my basement sump now.

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@twilliard, what do you know about Ulva and dinoflagellates? I've got some coming for my refugium. Read that it may have a Allelopathy effect on them.
I have never used another alga but will add that to the book. Understanding the half-life of released chemicals dives deep into chemistry. Sometimes I wish I had an all-in-one mass spectrometer.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never used another alga but will add that to the book. Understanding the half-life of released chemicals dives deep into chemistry. Sometimes I wish I had an all-in-one mass spectrometer.

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see dinoflagellates are still a HUGE issue with reef tanks based on the number of posted threads. I am surprised there is no subsection for Dinos since they are not algae and still an unresolved issue as a pest.
Is @mcarroll still around? It will take me forever to go through her 476 pages to see where people have gotten with this problem.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see dinoflagellates are still a HUGE issue with reef tanks based on the number of posted threads. I am surprised there is no subsection for Dinos since they are not algae and still an unresolved issue as a pest.
Is @mcarroll still around? It will take me forever to go through her 476 pages to see where people have gotten with this problem.

I agree. It needs its own sub forum. There is much more hobbyist that are having issues with dinos or think it's dinos on other sub forums such as the "reef discussion" for example. This thread is just the tip of the "iceberg"!

I suspect it's rampid throughout the hobby right now.

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree. It needs its own sub forum. There is much more hobbyist that are having issues with dinos or think it's dinos on other sub forums such as the "reef discussion" for example. This thread is just the tip of the "iceberg"!

I suspect it's rampid throughout the hobby right now.
This was not going to be my starting point when I get the lab back together but I may bring this topic to the front of the list since I do not have many answers for a widely accepted solution.
I will go take a look at the other subforums as I build an idea of what will have a higher priority.

Marc2952

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well after weeks of doing water changes and everything being fine they seem to be trying to come back a bit ( only on the sand though) my phosphates have started to drop fast again whicb worries me, back to heavy dosing phosphates daily again smh. Does reefroids make them get worse by any chance?

Screenshot_20200805-194556_AquaticLog.jpg Screenshot_20200805-194604_AquaticLog.jpg

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking back to see if I have a name for them but it may take some time. I would be concerned only if the population gets out of control. They are a little harder to manage than the large cell algae due to the reproduction speed but overall still an algae.

Xavier434

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking back to see if I have a name for them but it may take some time. I would be concerned only if the population gets out of control. They are a little harder to manage than the large cell algae due to the reproduction speed but overall still an algae.

What are the recommended methods of control?

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the recommended methods of control?
from a chemical treatment standpoint, I do not currently have a method but was in the works when I had to put the processes on hold in 2016.
I would suspect using standard algae control would be a good starting point.

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Morning update:

Sand was looking rough. Doesn't feel like UV is making a dent, but may be too early to tell. Continue to dose nutrients and have good amount of hair algea but it doesn't seem to be competing with the Dinos, at least at this time. Also added three jars of 5280 pods from algae barn and phytoplankton.

NO3 showing 5ppm, PO4 0.03... May need to up the dosage on phosphate.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I posted some shot and a video of my $30 amazon special microscope on the last page. Looked like ostreopsis, but no one had chimed in. They looks like sesame seeds and moved like they're doing the stop drop and roll...rolling on their certer axis.

At night they seem to go into the water column as the sand looks much cleaner at night.
Your description exactly matches ostreopsis.

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank has gotten to 90 f. It didnt kill my ostreopsis dinos but they werent moving in the microscope so maybe it did something. However my tank drops to 80f daily. I wonder if i should keep it at 82f forever? This pest is worse than velvet imo.

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Along with the UV, raised temp to 81F. Still dosing PO4 and NO3, PO4 seems to drop daily and there's a good presence of what looks like GHA.

My friends are still there every morning though.

Considering how new my tank is and the minimal corals (I can move to coral QT) and livestock (move to a 40B)....Im considering a reboot as a viable alternative. Need to do some digging on what and how things need to be sterilized, as I'm assuming one should not reuse the rocks and sand...

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back