Dinoflagellates – Are You Tired Of Battling Altogether?

MrsBugmaster

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are videos. Sand and rock is covered with brown stuff. Videos were taken from different sections of a magnetic frag rack half way up the tank side.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are videos. Sand and rock is covered with brown stuff. Videos were taken from different sections of a magnetic frag rack half way up the tank side.

I will defer to @taricha but that third video seems to show both Large & Small Amphidinium along with a healthy population of diatoms.

ReefPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone else noticed that dino's can fluoresce under royal blues/UV?

(touch wood) I think my battle is nearing it's end, but I can see a couple of funky looking glowing red patches under royal blues/UV. Under whites it's just brown.

This is part of the reason why I originally thought it was cyano, due to the red.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone else noticed that dino's can fluoresce under royal blues/UV?

(touch wood) I think my battle is nearing it's end, but I can see a couple of funky looking glowing red patches under royal blues/UV. Under whites it's just brown.

This is part of the reason why I originally thought it was cyano, due to the red.

Delighted to hear of improvement. :)
Which species of dino?

When you confirm it is cyano, you are actually "rounding the bend". On dinos anyway. Cyano is the "next up" competitor. Eventually that will lead to some temporary algae uglies. Keep going steady.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to grab a quick ID on my Dino’s. I’m pretty sure they are osteoporosis but just want some expert opinions. Also I have started getting cyano so hopefully I’m nearing the end here!
There is also a mix of diatoms mixed in here.
You are correct. Fire up the UV (low flow), the nutrients, and some GAC. Clamp some filter floss to the sides of the tank and rinse before lights out. If you are already getting cyano, you could be done in a week or two.

Nick Steele

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are correct. Fire up the UV (low flow), the nutrients, and some GAC. Clamp some filter floss to the sides of the tank and rinse before lights out. If you are already getting cyano, you could be done in a week or two.
This is awesome news!!!!

I don’t have a uv due to being an aio and small 20g but maybe I’ll get the IM one if I can’t do it without.

Nutrients are also starting to get inline. I finally got 1ppm nitrate and .015 phosphate last night after two weeks of dosing. So I will continue to up those.

Already doing the floss thing and also doing it with my powerheads due to easy access.

Will GAC help? I’ve been doing a really basic minimalist setup. Only floss and rubble rock as my filtration.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is awesome news!!!!

I don’t have a uv due to being an aio and small 20g but maybe I’ll get the IM one if I can’t do it without.

Nutrients are also starting to get inline. I finally got 1ppm nitrate and .015 phosphate last night after two weeks of dosing. So I will continue to up those.

Already doing the floss thing and also doing it with my powerheads due to easy access.

Will GAC help? I’ve been doing a really basic minimalist setup. Only floss and rubble rock as my filtration.

UV does a really bang up job on ostreopsis; I'd recommend it if you have budget. You can remove it once you are done.

Recommend activated carbon to remove the toxins from ostreopsis. Just a little bag of it in the back; no reactor needed. Not all dinos have toxins, but ostreos and procentrum certainly do. Reduces stress on corals and inverts. Again, you can remove it when you are done.

Nick Steele

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UV does a really bang up job on ostreopsis; I'd recommend it if you have budget. You can remove it once you are done.

Recommend activated carbon to remove the toxins from ostreopsis. Just a little bag of it in the back; no reactor needed. Not all dinos have toxins, but ostreos and procentrum certainly do. Reduces stress on corals and inverts. Again, you can remove it when you are done.
Carbon will go in this weekend up will have to wait a little to see if I can remedy without it if not I’ll try and convince the wife for the $50-$60 lol

Thanks for the help!

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to chime in.
It's been quite a while since i've posted anything in this thread.

I BEAT DINOS!!!

It was not especially hard to do but I did need the right equipment and a multi pronged approach.

3 day blackouts
Diatomaceous earth filter (optional but recommended)
Dr Tim's Dino recipe (Dr Tim's Dr Tim's Refresh / Dr. Tim's Waste Away)
Dr Tim's waste away gel (Optional but recommended)

The regiment looks like this:

3 day blackout with U.V. (while aggressively blowing off rock and aggressively turning and disturbing the sandbed)

Employ Diatom Filters (Optional)
Beneficial bacteria dosing

3 day blackout with Dr Tim's Refresh (No UV)

Dr Tim's Waste Away liquid (No UV)

Dr Tim's Waste Away Gel

Redeployment of U.V.

1st thing was a PROPERLY SIZED, PROPERLY PLUMBED UV Sterilizer with the CORRECT flow.
I can not stress this enough.
You absolutely NEED to have all 3 of the requirements for a UV Sterilizer met in order for it to work.
I have a 180 gallon display and I use a Pentair aquatics smart UV 40w. UV Sterilizer. I use a Jeabo DCP 15000 pump to run it with 1 inch plumbing. Anything smaller than 1 inch plumbing WILL NOT WORK because you will NOT get the needed flow through the UV.
Here is the flow chart...
20200329_095657.jpg

Put the pump IN THE DISPLAY on the sand bed or no more than 1 inch above the sand bed. Have the UV in a closed loop within the display both pulling from the display and dumping treated water back to the display.
It should look something like this. (Don't mind the mess. Pay attention to the set up of the UV)
20200604_130808.jpg

3 day total blackout while using UV.
I have the feed pump in the tank and the return in the tank creating a closed loop. Pump is a Jeabo DCP15000. Pump is about a 1/2 inch above the sandbed. PVC pipe goes from pump to top of tank (about 25 inches) through 2 90° elbows forming a "U" and down about 6ft. to the UV.
The UV is laying horizontally on the floor in front of the tank. Water goes through the UV then back up about 6ft of PVC pipe then through 2 90° elbows forming a "U" to return water to the tank.
I am flowing 1019 gph through the UV according to apex flow meter. The UV calls for between 943 - 1574 gph to deal with algae, bacteria and dinos.
I use a Tunze 6105 on full blast to blow the rocks, sand and all surfaces. I put the pump right up to the rocks and make the biggest mess I can getting everything in the water column so it can go through the UV.

I have 4 Marineland Magnum polishing internal filters. Each rated for up to 97 gal tank / 290 gph. These filters will run Diatomaceous earth powder to mechanically filter dinos out.

Immediately after the 3 day blackout...
Deploy Diatom filters while continuing to aggressively blow off rocks and aggressively disturb sand bed with continued use of UV.
If not using Diatom filter, simply continue to aggressively blow off rocks and aggressively disturb sand bed with
continued use of UV.
Do this for 3 days using normal light schedule.

After the 3 day period
Start Dr. Tim's Dino treatment which consists of another 3 day blackout while using Dr. Tim's Refresh then using Dr. Tim's waste Away. FOLLOW DIRECTIONS and complete the entire regiment.

Once complete with Dr. Tim's dino regiment...
Do the whole thing over again just to make sure you have knocked them OUT!

This is what I was dealing with and what I defeated.

Screenshot_20200520-233146_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20200520-233138_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20200520-233128_Gallery.jpg

This stuff was EVERYWHERE and was killing corals. It was much worse than what you see in these pics.

Now the tank looks like this...

20200725_102325.jpg

A few months later...
20201026_153946.jpg

The UV is still in operation and still getting the correct flow but there was no way to plumb it the way I would have liked so I ended up with this.
20200807_090842.jpg

It's still effective but not nearly as effective as having the closed loop from display to display.

I am happy to report that I am STILL Dino FREE!!!!

Just so you know, this is not my 1st fight with dinos. Last battle I had was a 5 year battle on my old 110 gallon reef. DInos won.

The war I lost...
I raised nitrates and phosphates. (No good)
I used UV but did not know I was using it improperly. (No good)
Blackouts (knock them back but not good enough on its own)
Vibrant dosing. (No good)
MB7 dosing. (No good)
Peroxide dosing. (No good)
Sea cucumbers. (No good)
Stupidly high flow. (No good)
Leaving sand alone. (No good)
Surface siphoning sandbed. (No good)
Deep disturbing sandbed with heavy mechanical filtration using 5 micron socks changed every day. (Better but no good)
Feeding tank. (No good)
Starving tank. (No good)
Increase pods. (No good)
Beefed up fuge chaeto. (No good)
Decrease light intensity. (No good)
Increase light intensity. (No good)
Change light fixtures. (No good)
Sacred Indian dino dance. (No good)
9mm. (No good)
.45 ACP. (No good)
12ga. (No good)
Photon torpedo straight from the Starship Enterprise. (No good)

Check out my build thread for more detail on the fight against dinos.

Good luck in YOUR fight against these prehistoric monsters!

Last edited:

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to chime in.
It's been quite a while since i've posted anything in this thread.

I BEAT DINOS!!!

It was not especially hard to do but I did need the right equipment and a multi pronged approach.

3 day blackouts
Diatomaceous earth filter (optional but recommended)
Dr Tim's Dino recipe (Dr Tim's Dr Tim's Refresh / Dr. Tim's Waste Away)
Dr Tim's waste away gel (Optional but recommended)

The regiment looks like this:

3 day blackout with U.V. (while aggressively blowing off rock and aggressively turning and disturbing the sandbed)

Employ Diatom Filters (Optional)
Beneficial bacteria dosing

3 day blackout with Dr Tim's Refresh (No UV)

Dr Tim's Waste Away liquid (No UV)

Dr Tim's Waste Away Gel

Redeployment of U.V.

1st thing was a PROPERLY SIZED, PROPERLY PLUMBED UV Sterilizer with the CORRECT flow.
I can not stress this enough.
You absolutely NEED to have all 3 of the requirements for a UV Sterilizer met in order for it to work.
I have a 180 gallon display and I use a Pentair aquatics smart UV 40w. UV Sterilizer. I use a Jeabo DCP 15000 pump to run it with 1 inch plumbing. Anything smaller WILL NOT WORK because you will NOT get the needed flow through the UV.
Here is the flow chart...
20200329_095657.jpg

Put the pump IN THE DISPLAY on the sand bed or no more than 1 inch above the sand bed. Have the UV in a closed loop within the display both pulling from the display and dumping treated water back to the display.
It should look something like this. (Don't mind the mess. Pay attention to the set up of the UV)
20200604_130808.jpg

3 day total blackout while using UV.
I have the feed pump in the tank and the return in the tank creating a closed loop. Pump is a Jeabo DCP15000. Pump is about a 1/2 inch above the sandbed. PVC pipe goes from pump to top of tank (about 25 inches) through 2 90° elbows forming a "U" and down about 6ft. to the UV.
The UV is laying horizontally on the floor in front of the tank. Water goes through the UV then back up about 6ft of PVC pipe then through 2 90° elbows forming a "U" to return water to the tank.
I am flowing 1019 gph through the UV according to apex flow meter. The UV calls for between 943 - 1574 gph to deal with algae, bacteria and dinos.
I use a Tunze 6105 on full blast to blow the rocks, sand and all surfaces. I put the pump right up to the rocks and make the biggest mess I can getting everything in the water column so it can go through the UV.

I have 4 Marineland Magnum polishing internal filters. Each rated for up to 97 gal tank / 290 gph. These filters will run Diatomaceous earth powder to mechanically filter dinos out.

Immediately after the 3 day blackout...
Deploy Diatom filters while continuing to aggressively blow off rocks and aggressively disturb sand bed with continued use of UV.
If not using Diatom filter, simply continue to aggressively blow off rocks and aggressively disturb sand bed with
continued use of UV.
Do this for 3 days using normal light schedule.

After the 3 day period
Start Dr. Tim's Dino treatment which consists of another 3 day blackout while using Dr. Tim's Refresh then using Dr. Tim's waste Away. FOLLOW DIRECTIONS and complete the entire regiment.

Once complete with Dr. Tim's dino regiment...
Do the whole thing over again just to make sure you have knocked them OUT!

This is what I was dealing with and what I defeated.

Screenshot_20200520-233146_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20200520-233138_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20200520-233128_Gallery.jpg

This stuff was EVERYWHERE and was killing corals. It was much worse than what you see in these pics.

Now the tank looks like this...

20200725_102325.jpg

A few months later...
20201026_153946.jpg

The UV is still in operation and still getting the correct flow but there was no way to plumb it the way I would have liked so I ended up with this.
20200807_090842.jpg

It's still effective but not nearly as effective as having the closed loop from display to display.

I am happy to report that I am STILL Dino FREE!!!!

Just so you know, this is not my 1st fight with dinos. Last battle I had was a 5 year battle on my old 110 gallon reef. DInos won.

The war I lost...
I raised nitrates and phosphates. (No good)
I used UV but did not know I was using it improperly. (No good)
Blackouts (knock them back but not good enough on its own)
Vibrant dosing. (No good)
MB7 dosing. (No good)
Peroxide dosing. (No good)
Sea cucumbers. (No good)
Stupidly high flow. (No good)
Leaving sand alone. (No good)
Surface siphoning sandbed. (No good)
Deep disturbing sandbed with heavy mechanical filtration using 5 micron socks changed every day. (Better but no good)
Feeding tank. (No good)
Starving tank. (No good)
Increase pods. (No good)
Beefed up fuge chaeto. (No good)
Decrease light intensity. (No good)
Increase light intensity. (No good)
Change light fixtures. (No good)
Sacred Indian dino dance. (No good)
9mm. (No good)
.45 ACP. (No good)
12ga. (No good)
Photon torpedo straight from the Starship Enterprise. (No good)

Check out my build thread for more detail on the fight against dinos.

Good luck in YOUR fight against these prehistoric monsters!
Good update @Dj City glad to hear you are free.

Which species did you have?

EDIT: Oops. I thought I was reading a post in the "Are you tired" dino thread.

Amphids are the most difficult. Congratulations!

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good update @Dj City glad to hear you are free.

Which species did you have?

EDIT: Oops. I thought I was reading a post in the "Are you tired" dino thread.

Amphids are the most difficult. Congratulations!

Thank you.

I hope this info is able to help some folks out because Dinos are truly lil prehistoric monsters.

Last edited:

Stephers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an acquaintance with apparent dinos that we cannot ID. I'm hoping someone or @taricha can help. It almost looks like some oddball prorocentrum. She says that they are on her sand, glass, and rocks. Some move and some don't. Thanks.
125282279_3817468591597561_580986038455447357_n.jpg

Attachments

• 125229136_717690948849270_2649598162384725051_n.mp4
    2.6 MB

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It almost looks like some oddball prorocentrum. She says that they are on her sand, glass, and rocks. Some move and some don't. Thanks.
that shape is identified here[pic] as a prorocentrum type. see the one labeled number 18.

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For anyone interested, my dino problem started in April 2020
I tried standard treatments on May 24th 2020.
I got serious about dinos in June. That's when I started my dino regiment that I described in detail.
I was officially dino free on July 9th.

I have been dino free ever since.

It worked!

No cyano issues
No algae issues
No nutrient issues
No negative side effects

Now if I could just defeat vermited snails (worms) I would truly be a happy reefer.

I'm working on it!

Last edited:

bishoptf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are my scope shots and video, pretty sure it's dino's, try to do things the right way and still have issues, fairly new tank, 5 months old 29g nano. I have a decent scope but still learning how to use it and get the best pics/videos. Wasn't sure if you just captured some water or tried to get some of the brown stuff, let me know if I need to get better pics.

PXL_20201118_012422426.jpg

PXL_20201118_012350889.jpg

Here is the video link - Youtube

Let me know what you think, thanks. :)

Back