Dinoflagellates – Are You Tired Of Battling Altogether?

marcus aurelius

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any better

Attachments

• 30EDAF75-7FD8-40C6-AFCC-F5C4A6E8414D.jpeg
    30EDAF75-7FD8-40C6-AFCC-F5C4A6E8414D.jpeg
    103.8 KB · Views: 48

Polyp Lagoon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, any idea what these buggers could be? They move different to the dinos I could rember.
Thanks!

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.mov
    46.3 MB
  • FullSizeRender.mov
    28.5 MB

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ScottB

First, I want to say thank you so much for your contribution in this thread! You 100% deserve the R2R excellence award!

Question: What is the order after Dino’s? Was it Dinos > Cyano > film algae?

What comes next?

I beat Dino’s which evolved into cyano. I dosed chemo clean and now I have a mixture of Dino’s on rocks with film algae completely covering back wall (which is excellent - it used to be 100% dinos).

I’m just curious about what’s yet to come? I’m noticing my talk glass is getting cloudy/foggy/algae REALLY quick. It’s not bothering me much. I did order a UV sterilizer because the diatom filter made my tank so cristal clear that I wanted that same effect but with less maintenance.

Thanks!

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ScottB

First, I want to say thank you so much for your contribution in this thread! You 100% deserve the R2R excellence award!

What comes next?

I beat Dino’s which evolved into cyano. I dosed chemo clean and now I have a mixture of Dino’s on rocks with film algae completely covering back wall (which is excellent - it used to be 100% dinos).

I’m just curious about what’s yet to come? I’m noticing my talk glass is getting cloudy/foggy/algae REALLY quick. It’s not bothering me much. I did order a UV sterilizer because the diatom filter made my tank so cristal clear that I wanted that same effect but with less maintenance.

Thanks!
Which Dinos did you have?it could have been more than strains.
min my case Dinos kind of came hand in hand with cyano than algae. You may never got fully get rid of Dinos. Also there are some relapse coming which is easier to beat.
I would confirm it is still the same strain first than proceed accordingly. Maybe add more competition with some new live rock mud etc.

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep. However, the diatoms never grew. But I’m not having any Dino issues. I just wanted to know the stages after dinos. I think Scott said it one time.
Although mine was Amphidinium the stages were like you said Dinos-dinos+cyano- algae

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What comes next?

The progress pattern does vary a bit by species and treatment but Cyano is the most common competitor to step up to assume the vacant space. I think of cyano as transitional and marginal to film algae or bacterial film. Syphon out the cyano often enough and one of those two can take hold next. If the nutrient levels are noisy or out of balance with each other, it can take a while to shake cyano.

Last edited:

ReeferHendrix

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone battling dinos here. This just happened after switching from my 65 gallon to my new 150 gallon. The switch consisted of all new sand and old live rock and new live rock, also used as much water from old tank as I could (which had no issues with dinos). All of sudden it’s covering everything…
Parameters are as listed:
Alk- 5.3
Calcium-350
Ph-7.6
Magnesium-1600
Nitrite-0
Nitrate-10
Phosphate-0.25
Ammonia-0

looking for all advice on things I can do to fix this problem thanks everyone in advance!

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone battling dinos here. This just happened after switching from my 65 gallon to my new 150 gallon. The switch consisted of all new sand and old live rock and new live rock, also used as much water from old tank as I could (which had no issues with dinos). All of sudden it’s covering everything…
Alk- 5.3
Calcium-350
Ph-7.6
Magnesium-1600
Nitrite-0
Nitrate-10
Phosphate-0.25
Ammonia-0

looking for all advice on things I can do to fix this problem thanks everyone in advance!
Fix alk low, mag high and ID your Dinos with a microscope. There is no universal magic fix.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alk- 5.3
Calcium-350
Ph-7.6
Magnesium-1600
Nitrite-0
Nitrate-10
Phosphate-0.25
Ammonia-0

It is pretty common to get an outbreak adding / moving tanks. All the sterile, unpopulated surface area is a void that must be filled. Also, the nominal level of nutrients you had got diluted down. If that .25 reading on PO4 is from a test kit other than Hanna ULR, it is likely wrong and more like zero. All that new rock you added had no PO4 in it, so it bound up whatever PO4 you had in your water. NeoPhos is your friend. May need some NeoNitro as well.

Here is a treatment doc I've been working on for a bit. It is still little longer than I would like but it covers the bases:

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back