Dinoflagellates – Are You Tired Of Battling Altogether?

Yazannreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
rocks are much cleaner than 1 week ago
Sand is still bad.
water is not clear, looks like "White" i think i'm dosing too much bacterias

IMG_20220122_170957.jpg IMG_20220122_171253.jpg
Good progress. The cloudy waters could be bacterial bloom for sure. It will go away as the bacteria settles down.

iLMaRiO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely anphidinium dinos. Also could be some phytos in there but large cells are anphidinium
large cells are LCA, i know.
what i'm unable to ID are the small cells, they don't look like dinos

iLMaRiO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good progress. The cloudy waters could be bacterial bloom for sure. It will go away as the bacteria settles down.
are you able to make an estimate to defeat dinos? 10 days? 3 weeks?

should i still dose bacteria or should i stop?

Yazannreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
are you able to make an estimate to defeat dinos? 10 days? 3 weeks?

should i still dose bacteria or should i stop?
Each tank is different. Some tank a week some months. I was succesfull in a week and I had anphidinium and ostreosis. I posted the steps I followed the best them in this thread!

What is your daily treatment now?

Yazannreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Here is what I did to get rid of them in a week:

Leave only blue light on your aquarium ( no reds/ greens/ whites and shorten you photo period ( by 2 hours).( Very important)

Dosing bacteria and microbes: microbacter 7 and reef enhance per bottle directions.( Start with half a dose in day one so you don't get bacterial blooms then follow with a full dose day 2 and on)

Dosing Silica ( used brightwell aquatics ) (per bottle directions) ( I dosed it for the first 4 days till I saw my glass started getting diatoms then I know it worked and then I stopped)

Installed a UV sterilizer running 24/7 ( 18w for my 75 gallon installed in the display)

Keep nitrates above 10 and phosphates above 0.10 ( dosing brightwell phos and nitro daily)

Install 5 micron filter socks in your sump

Blew off dinos from rocks and sand daily so The UV and the filter socks capture it( a lot people would say well UV is only good for ostreosis. That's true, however, I force all other dinos to the water column so the uv can take care of them. Whatever goes down the overflow get trapped in the 5 micron filter socks.

You must run carbon for the dino toxins from dinos

Ps: turn off uv, skimmer and carbon for 4 hours while dosing Macrobacter 7.

In few first day of treatment I didn't see any improvement all and was very worried. Stuck with it for few more days and boom. Woke up day 6 to no dinos!

Last edited:

Yazannreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Forgot to mention, if your tank is cloudy still 5 hours after you dosed bacteria go ahead and run your carbon and that will take care of the cloudiness in matter of hours!

iLMaRiO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgot to mention, if your tank is cloudy still 5 hours after you dosed bacteria go ahead and run your carbon and that will take care of the cloudiness in matter of hours!
i'm running carbon h24 and i have cloudy water all day.

currently i'm dosing live phyto and bacteria, dosed live zoo and A LOT (due to a mistake) of silica, now the Hanna checker is out of range (more than 2.00 ppm)

i prefere to not decrease the lights, dinos are not growing even with full lights and is seems good

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

currently i'm dosing live phyto and bacteria, dosed live zoo and A LOT (due to a mistake) of silica, now the Hanna checker is out of range (more than 2.00 ppm)

i prefere to not decrease the lights, dinos are not growing even with full lights and is seems good
Don’t worry about silicates. If you are over 2ppm just stop dosing while you get in range. Silicates will be used up by diatoms and once it is used up diatoms will go.

Yazannreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0

Your carbon is on a reactor or in a bag??

I know you might think that decreasing the light would be harmful to your sps but that is not the case. I have SPS( acro's) and I took out all whites/greens/reds and decreased my photo period by 2hours. My SPS actually responded well and colored up. After that week of treatment and now back to my normal schedule.

Yazannreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0

You do turn off your carbon and UV and skimmer for few hours when dosing bacteria right?

Last edited:

iLMaRiO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
carbon in a bag, never removed.
UV powered off Always, as LCA are not affected by UV

Yazannreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
carbon in a bag, never removed.
UV powered off Always, as LCA are not affected by UV
I prefer carbon in a reactor but the bag I'm high flow will do.
As far as uv and LCA. I force them in the water column by blowing of the sand and rocks so they can get processed and damaged by the uv.
All living cells will get damaged by rh uv if they pass thru it

iLMaRiO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer carbon in a reactor but the bag I'm high flow will do.
As far as uv and LCA. I force them in the water column by blowing of the sand and rocks so they can get processed and damaged by the uv.
All living cells will get damaged by rh uv if they pass thru it
tried with not a great result. i'll try again.
when doing in this way, i can run UV during the day? because in the night i dose phyto

iLMaRiO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
running UV so long won't kill my live phyto and bacterial (and also any diatoms cells)

Yazannreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
tried with not a great result. i'll try again.
when doing in this way, i can run UV during the day? because in the night i dose phyto
Yes you can do that. I dose phyto as well at night right before lights out and I turn the uv off for couple hours.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can't be phyto?
No.
Textbook small cell amphids. Take the time to read the Treatment guide I linked for you. Look at the link in it for the Dinoflagellate Identification Guide. Look at the videos that are linked in that document. Stop listening to people on facebook. :)

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
running UV so long won't kill my live phyto and bacterial (and also any diatoms cells)
What is the goal with the live phyto dosing again?

The UV should help with the Small cell. They are swimmers, although they do like to hang in the sand and may need some encouragement like a lights out period.

iLMaRiO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what do you use to siphon the sand? i have a 0.1-1.00mm sand and i'm almost sure that any siphon would also remove the sand, not only waste and dinos

also, which 5micron sock?

Yazannreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I did not siphon the sand. I blew it off and let the mess go down the overflow to the first chamber when the 5 micron socks are.

This is what I used:
Honritone 4 Inch Ring by 15 Inch...

Back