Dinoflagellates – Are You Tired Of Battling Altogether?

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
img_2956-jpg.592839

Let me know what you find! I thought they were quite large as well!
My best guess is Striatella diatoms. I don't love the match but, marine diatom, 100+ microns, rectangular, evenly pigmented, pigmentation extends radially out from center point, can't find anything else similar.
BTW, if microscope showed an attachment strand on any of those diatoms (like in the linked photo), that would be definitive - although sometimes they appear in photos without the strand.

tenurepro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess i am now a member of this Dino club;
here is link of the original discovery - at first i thought it was Cyano but it wasn't responding to chemiclean; a few hours of scope and research, the good folks here helped me confirm the ID: Dinoflagellates: Prorocentrum sp.

While i promise to read this thread in due time, I am hoping @mcarroll and other experts will help answer the following questions so i can start plotting my immediate moves...
1) will something like dinoX work?
2) will a blackout work (I do notice it growing at night, so perhaps it’s not entirely dependent on photosynthesis)
3) will hydrogen peroxide work?
4) if I do the natural treatment of increasing no3 and po4 and let nature balance the system, do I stop skimming? Stop water changes? Turn off fuge?
5) I have high flow for sps (50x volume per hour), should I reduce flow, increase it?
6) should I continue running carbon?
7) almost all of the dinos are on the sand bed... should I remove the sand bed, soak it in fresh water or bleach and then add it back
8) would a uv sterilizer help?

Thanks!

dino02 2.JPG

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oops. I should have replied here. Apologies for cross post from your other thread.

Hi @mcarroll ; I promise to read the important thread that you mentioned, but will not be able to do all 117 pages anytime soon. Wondering if you can help with some of the ideas.

Given the ID is prorocentrum,
1) will something like dinoX work?
2) will a blackout work (I do notice it growing at night, so perhaps it’s not entirely dependent on photosynthesis)
3) will hydrogen peroxide work?
4) if I do the natural treatment of increasing no3 and po4 and let nature balance the system, do I stop skimming? Stop water changes? Turn off fuge?
5) I have high flow for sps (50x volume per hour), should I reduce flow, increase it?
6) should I continue running carbon?
7) almost all of the dinos are on the sand bed... should I remove the sand bed, soak it in fresh water or bleach and then add it back
8) would a uv sterilizer help?

Thanks to you and all the very helpful people that responded to this thread!
You are right on ID, it's definitely prorocentrum. I love your sketch! Only key feature of prorocentrum that you left out that's in the photos is the circle structure in the center (pyrenoid).

@mcarrol does a good job of updating first post to index to key ideas and make reading most of thread not necessary.

1-3 not recommended.
4. dose. Don't stop skimming, water changes, or cut fuge.
5 flow is fine, if you cut flow, proros can likely colonize more surfaces than just sand.
6 assuming you mean activated carbon, yes - proros can be toxic and livestock dieoff says yours is.
7 no. You want to selectively remove dino cells and support competition.
This would wipe out competition and give dinos free plentiful real estate.
8 yes. UV helps vs proros, and should be near a watt per 2 gallon. Be aware of killing dino cells releasing toxins.

Lowefx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So could my dino die off be what's causing ALL of my LPS to STN? Otherwise I have no explanation. I even sent for a water test, and everything is ok. ?I raised alk and Ca since test)
47f1f88b1010b404c016924293725923.jpg
5415d0859ff544f16fdeddf745cdd4ca.jpg
bbbb06456db19693332f41843aadcb2d.jpg
3134f7d38c3d5a7bc29fefe519d4a9c1.jpg

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So could my dino die off be what's causing ALL of my LPS to STN? Otherwise I have no explanation. I even sent for a water test, and everything is ok. ?I raised alk and Ca since test)

Theories:
1 dino toxins
2 other unknown organics associated with dinos that are making LPS unhappy.
3 a trace element limitation caused dinos to be unable to grow, and also is causing lps to waste away (But your test results seem to rule this out for all the biologically necessary elements I can think of.)
4. Some other potent chemical warfare organism in the system.
5. Something else?

If GAC doesn't help (could help if it's 1,2 or 4) then I dunno.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, So my $10 microscope is barely barely adequate enough to get a clear image. From what I can tell they are rounded and swim fast and not circular. My best guess is Amphidinium or Prorocentrum? Any ideas?

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, So my $10 microscope is barely barely adequate enough to get a clear image. From what I can tell they are rounded and swim fast and not circular. My best guess is Amphidinium or Prorocentrum? Any ideas?

I will say this is at "1200x"(toy magnification) focused as far as it can go. So these things seem tiny.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this isn't the common dinos that everyone else is getting. Great. From what I can tell is this might be a type of Alexandrium. However, the only characteristics that sets this apart is they often times connect in twos or more to form long or short chains. Seems they thrive in nitrogenous environments.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking a large water change should help reduce these?

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I think these are Coolia. almost spherical. swim with kind of a burst-rotate-burst-rotate pattern. Check these pics and vids from my system for comparison.

and these vids ID by people who study this stuff...

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think these are Coolia. almost spherical. swim with kind of a burst-rotate-burst-rotate pattern. Check these pics and vids from my system for comparison.

and these vids ID by people who study this stuff...

Yes! Looks just like this! Especially compared to your vids. Whats the protocol for getting rid of these?

Lowefx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Theories:
1 dino toxins
2 other unknown organics associated with dinos that are making LPS unhappy.
3 a trace element limitation caused dinos to be unable to grow, and also is causing lps to waste away (But your test results seem to rule this out for all the biologically necessary elements I can think of.)
5. Something else?

If GAC doesn't help (could help if it's 1,2 or 4) then I dunno.

1 dino toxins-possibly
2 other unknown organics associated with dinos that are making LPS unhappy.-possibly
3 a trace element limitation caused dinos to be unable to grow, and also is causing lps to waste away (But your test results seem to rule this out for all the biologically necessary elements I can think of.)-I've asked around, and same answer, nothing sticks out as abnormal
5. Something else?- not bugs, (day or night) I try to feed mysis and tentacles never come out or mouth opens. No3-8 Po4-.06 two nights ago.
Once again, it is not limited to just one type of coral. This is effecting all LPS. Acans, Wilsoni, Chalice's, Trumpets, and Frogspawn.
I am not sure what else to test or check to figure out what's wrong. Doing another 30g WC this week on my 120g.

Lowefx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, My turbo snails and astraea snails die, but the Nassarius and Conch stay alive. I think this may have something to do with dino toxins. But why wouldn't it kill all snails?

OP
OP
mcarroll

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Lowefx
Nassarius and the Conch are really detritus eaters – or even carnivores. Nassarius beat the hermits to the dead stuff in the wild. (Yes, someone has studied that. :D)

Only the real algae eaters are directly vulnerable.

I didn't see not N and P levels in those test results you posted. How are those?

Have all levels and the whole system been stable, or have things been happening?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back