Dinoflagellates – Are You Tired Of Battling Altogether?

BuddyBonButt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@taricha what do you think on me adding marine block from an established clean tank to help fight off dinos? Would it be worth it? Shock the tank? Help significantly? Eager for your response

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sorry I'm curious - 595 pages - has anyone solved this problem - if so - please summarize. IMHO - there are multiple factors at work - and no single solution

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@taricha what do you think on me adding marine block from an established clean tank to help fight off dinos? Would it be worth it? Shock the tank? Help significantly? Eager for your response
adding a source of good bacteria/diversity moves things in the right direction, but people have found that the move is small. That is, it can help if the dinos are already mostly on the run - but it won't reverse the tide if the dinos are dominant.

BuddyBonButt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
adding a source of good bacteria/diversity moves things in the right direction, but people have found that the move is small. That is, it can help if the dinos are already mostly on the run - but it won't reverse the tide if the dinos are dominant.
I have both diatoms and dinos, think It'll be worth doing?

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have both diatoms and dinos, think It'll be worth doing?
I'd do a few rounds of manual export. Let the diatoms start to get the upper hand first, then yes. OK to do.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Rizbio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Goodmorning everyone,
can someone help with IDentification?
I think it could be porocentrum.
Any particular advise?
That thing appears like a brownslime on sandbad… much thicker at the end of photoperiod

5ADDF799-31A1-414D-91E0-ACFAC98CBD28.jpeg

FishPham

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What kind of microscope do you guys recommend? Came home to a tank overran by dinos. It's mostly on the sandbed but starting to attach itself to corals so I'm trying to take action quick since I'm leaving for work again in a week. :crying-face:

Crown

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A3B86101-20F6-4566-AF04-846B42F6683C.jpeg

hey guys, I don’t have a microscope yet, but does this look like Dino’s?

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A3B86101-20F6-4566-AF04-846B42F6683C.jpeg

hey guys, I don’t have a microscope yet, but does this look like Dino’s?
Looks more like chrysophytes, but could be.
The coffee filter test:
a) Syphon out a good sample of the gunk along with some tank water.
b) Place in a container with a lid and shake very hard for 30 seconds or so. The gunk should be dissolved now.
c) Pour the solution through a coffee filter into a clear glass. The water should be largely clear now.
d) Place the jar under a light source for roughly an hour.
e) If the gunk coagulates back into a glob, well, welcome to the club nobody really wants to be in.

Neuratox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Went through a terrible fight with dinoflagellates. It was all over the rock and sand. Started with Amphidinium and as I out competed those by increaseing phosphate and nitrate in addition to diatoms via silicon dosing I started to see an increasing population of Ostreopsis. Within 2 days of identifying massive populations of Ostreopsis I ordered a UV sterilizer. I continued to monitor phosphates and nitrates while maintaining a slowly increasing dosage of silicon (10mL per day at the end). I installed the UV sterilizer the day that it arrived and started a 36 hour blackout after thoroughly scrapping as much of the rockwork as possible using a brush that I got from BattleCorals. About 24 hours in I did another rock cleaning (at this point I noticed there was already a significant difference). When I ended the blackout the tank looked incredible! Here is a picture I took this evening to show the progress and my success in beating not just one, but TWO types of dino with this approach!

I think the UV sterilizer really did the trick during the blackout. Since I brushed as much as I could off of the rock before hand everything passed through the UV for 36 hours. I'm sure that the increase in nitrates and silicates helped to provide enough competition that the dinos couldn't re-establish.

Of note: Prior to the UV sterilizer, I watched in large clumps of dinos begin to progressively accumulate populations of diatoms and algae. I think this provided a good kick in the teeth too.

I hope that this helps some of you!

Baronen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’ve got a 20 gallon tank and it looks like I have some slight Dinos. I want to use Spongexcel to cause a diatom bloom. It says to dose 1 drop for every 20 gallons and it raises silica by .01ppm. So I need to dose 100 drops to raise it to 1ppm. Is that safe?

Neuratox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’ve got a 20 gallon tank and it looks like I have some slight Dinos. I want to use Spongexcel to cause a diatom bloom. It says to dose 1 drop for every 20 gallons and it raises silica by .01ppm. So I need to dose 100 drops to raise it to 1ppm. Is that safe?
Whatever you do, build up slowly. I never measured personally, I watched the tank to see what it told me based on diatom presence. I do believe that there are test kits out there for it though.

Baronen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whatever you do, build up slowly. I never measured personally, I watched the tank to see what it told me based on diatom presence. I do believe that there are test kits out there for it though.
Yeah I don’t want to buy another test kit. So maybe just do like 15 drops a day or something? It’s not gonna harm anything?

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 69 37.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 62 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back