Dinoflagellates – Are You Tired Of Battling Altogether?

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
harder to get a sample now as all I keep picking up is sand! But here’s a video at 100x same as before, can’t see any dinos or at least nothing the same size as before…..
These are all good signs.
Understand that when a substrate previously held lots of photosynthetic organisms, it probably will continue to support growth of some kind for a while.
Vacuuming sand that regrows brown may be helpful in reducing the revolving door of one kind of growth after another.

Yamaha1634

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are all good signs.
Understand that when a substrate previously held lots of photosynthetic organisms, it probably will continue to support growth of some kind for a while.
Vacuuming sand that regrows brown may be helpful in reducing the revolving door of one kind of growth after another.
So just keep the UV running and manual removal where I can and wait it out? Is it time to add more CUC to stir the sand bed? Or are we assuming I still have the same Dinos even though I didn’t find them with the scope?

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it time to add more CUC
I see very little sign of toxic dinos, and so clean up crew would probably find some actual good stuff to eat. Add them slowly, could be positive.

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately I have confirmed Prorocentrum. I cannot afford a UV for my 180g at this moment so I am going off of Mack's reef's suggested treatment regime of Phyto, pods and Silicate. I am running socks in the sump, have the skimmer turned off and will be doing a sand vacuum today. Also will be wrapping the tank in black for the next day or so and running my new Carbon reactor starting later tonight. Does anyone have any other recommendations?

BetterJake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty sure this is Prorocentrum? Can anyone confirm?

dino1.jpeg
dino2.jpeg
dino3.jpeg
dino5.jpeg
dino6.jpeg

bvanfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any help with these?? I cannot figure it out. I’m maxed out on magnification. Can you help?
Looks like diatoms and dinos??

Attachments

• 19F251E2-A04E-42E2-B88E-5F3196176CFA.jpeg
    19F251E2-A04E-42E2-B88E-5F3196176CFA.jpeg
    93.3 KB · Views: 28
  • 45CD68E6-57B0-484B-9E14-BF1AC84137BF.jpeg
    45CD68E6-57B0-484B-9E14-BF1AC84137BF.jpeg
    99.8 KB · Views: 32

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately I have confirmed Prorocentrum. I cannot afford a UV for my 180g at this moment so I am going off of Mack's reef's suggested treatment regime of Phyto, pods and Silicate. I am running socks in the sump, have the skimmer turned off and will be doing a sand vacuum today. Also will be wrapping the tank in black for the next day or so and running my new Carbon reactor starting later tonight. Does anyone have any other recommendations?

What you're doing is a good plan with the exception of the black out..IMO. Do you have corals? I have almost never seen blackouts help long term. It's usually just a cosmetic help that's short lived. I would also be concerned that it might encourage the dino to encyst. Be patient, it's a bit longer haul than treating Ostreopsis with UV but you can win this battle with persistence.

The only other thing I might consider doing would be to add a source of biodiversity if possible. Things like a piece of live rock from a successful, thriving tank or using Garf, AF Lifesource or a similar "mud" product .

BetterJake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What you're doing is a good plan with the exception of the black out..IMO. Do you have corals? I have almost never seen blackouts help long term. It's usually just a cosmetic help that's short lived. I would also be concerned that it might encourage the dino to encyst. Be patient, it's a bit longer haul than treating Ostreopsis with UV but you can win this battle with persistence.

The only other thing I might consider doing would be to add a source of biodiversity if possible. Things like a piece of live rock from a successful, thriving tank or using Garf, AF Lifesource or a similar "mud" product .
Also dealing with Prorocentrum, I have a sand and rock package from TBSaltwater coming. I'm hoping it can help me in this war

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hi there, thanks for the info. I am doing the blackouts with the intention of getting them to release into the water column. Only 48 hrs at a time once a week. 5 on 2 off. I did order mud and sand from IPSF and added it before I realized what I was dealing with. I don't believe it has helped much tbh. Maybe I just need some more. I am hopefully optimistic but realize the issue cannot be fixed overnight. Just need it better by the end of January.

DarkReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, it's been a few weeks since I last did a water change as I seem to read often that whilst battling dinos you should stop water changes because it helps them grow.
My levels still seem to be 'ok' or where I want them to be. Tonight/tomorrow I should be getting my UV sterilizer up and running too so just curious whether I should leave things as is or not.

Current levels
Salinity 1.024
Nitrate 25 (high-ish but I believe this is good to promote diatom)
Phosphate 0.110 (high but I believe this is good to promote diatom)
Alk 8
Calcium 420
Mag 1320
pH 8.1

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there, thanks for the info. I am doing the blackouts with the intention of getting them to release into the water column. Only 48 hrs at a time once a week. 5 on 2 off. I did order mud and sand from IPSF and added it before I realized what I was dealing with. I don't believe it has helped much tbh. Maybe I just need some more. I am hopefully optimistic but realize the issue cannot be fixed overnight. Just need it better by the end of January.

Understood. I know it often gets recommended to use UV for Prorocentrum but I have had little success in using it for them. I've found treating them just like SCA/LCA with silicate dosing is much more effective. You are also right....Ostreopsis, and even Coolia are "quick fixes" compared to the others. Patience is hard but invaluable!

BetterJake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Understood. I know it often gets recommended to use UV for Prorocentrum but I have had little success in using it for them. I've found treating them just like SCA/LCA with silicate dosing is much more effective. You are also right....Ostreopsis, and even Coolia are "quick fixes" compared to the others. Patience is hard but invaluable!
Good to know. Prorocentrum here as well. They really want to cling to the sandbed! I've tried the below so far. Next up at bat is going to be silicate dosing,

Tried so far:

Blackout
Phyto
MB7
Dosing Neonitro and Neophos (Now consistently at 15ppm+ N and 0.1ppm + P
Siphon/Stir Sand (Always makes it worse)
UV (Green Killing Machine)

DarkReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Urgh this feels like it's getting harder and more annoying all the time. Wish I was better at hands on stuff and able to make it more tidy and be more ocd with it.

Now I've gotta work out how to run the silicon hoses and what size I need and whether I can connect it to the pump or if I'll need another danged adapter, more hose than I have and clamps etc etc. Feeling a bit frustrated atm and out of my depth atm but I guess thats reefing...

Attachments

• 20221209_181048.jpg
    20221209_181048.jpg
    157.4 KB · Views: 24

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 31.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 26.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 8.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 18 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back