Dinoflagellates – Are You Tired Of Battling Altogether?

Rivic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not what you want to hear, but I would run it for a long time. I moved mine to the sump after a few months, then ran into more problems. I ended up hooking up permanently in and out of my DT. I hung mine off the back. It’s not so bad...

Ahh I kind of figured that was the case. I’ll see if I can figure something out with the plumbing and maybe get a smaller pump since it only needs like 200gph. A small 200gph maxi jet might work no?

MickeyCT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I've been battling what I think are dinos for a very long time. I read the older thread and I'm about 1/3 of the way through this one plus a number of other side threads. One thing about my situation that seems different than most is that my nitrates and phosphate are NOT low. Nitrates are running between 25-50.

I don't have a microscope....yet, but it sure looks like some of the other pictures I've seen. Brownish almost rust colored and almost exclusively on the sand.

Does my high nitrates mean I likely have a different problem? I typically do a 40 gallon water change every 2-3 weeks and I do run GAC and GFO and not sure if I should stop all that or not at this point.

Mickey

P.S. Tank is a 225 with a sump that's another 25 gallons or so.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I've been battling what I think are dinos for a very long time. I read the older thread and I'm about 1/3 of the way through this one plus a number of other side threads. One thing about my situation that seems different than most is that my nitrates and phosphate are NOT low. Nitrates are running between 25-50.

I don't have a microscope....yet, but it sure looks like some of the other pictures I've seen. Brownish almost rust colored and almost exclusively on the sand.

Does my high nitrates mean I likely have a different problem? I typically do a 40 gallon water change every 2-3 weeks and I do run GAC and GFO and not sure if I should stop all that or not at this point.

Mickey

P.S. Tank is a 225 with a sump that's another 25 gallons or so.
If your phosphates are very low, which is likely with gfo usage, dinos can proliferate. Have you tested phosphates with a Hannah ulr kit? I’d get the $10 microscope, stop gfo, and go from there. Keep GAC running to alleviate dino toxins.

TB Nano

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm almost ready to declare victory in my nano that was infested with coolia. I removed the sand bed, dosed silicates, PO4 and NO3 and about a week ago installed a UV unit made by Innovative Marine for my 10 gallon nano. Corals, inverts and fish seem to be thriving and it looks the best it's looked in quite a while

Fusion 1.jpg

Now if I can just get the DT to turn the corner. No evidence of dinos but corals are still not thriving. Only 2 of my acros have survived and they still are not showing signs of recovery yet. I'm going to do an ICP test and start back doing water changes. PO4 has dropped a lot, NO3 is steady at 5.
Can you tell me what model of UV you purchased for your nano? I have an outbreak that has come up over the last 2 weeks. Also, what are people buying for silicates and what does this do?

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So as an update, been running the UV for about 3 straight days now following a 36 hour total blackout. Nitrates were definitely up at around 10ppm and po4 also up at approx 0.15. I’ve been running the lights for about 5 hours at reduced intensity and feeding normally maybe a bit heavier..

Tank looks 90-95% clear of Dino’s at the moment. I see some residual pockets of them but very light and much less than before. Hoping this sticks. I’ve done a very small 5 or so gallon water change just to siphon out some residual Dino’s and stir the sand a bit of the dusting. Any advice on how long I should keep the UV going? I’ve got it going directly into the display in a definite temporary setup. Want to eventually DC it and use it on an emergency basis as needed.

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread as it seems to be working for me at least at the moment. Attached a quick pic from today. Water a little cloudy as I am also dosing coral snow.
E47211A1-4919-45B2-997D-1DCE256A7EA4.jpeg

I ran mine for 3 months and everything was looking great. I discontinued it and within 10 days they were back in force. Like @dwest I've also plumbed mine permanently from/to the DT. I may one day try it from the sump but I don't think I will ever stop the UV totally.

This is the pump I'm using on a 72x24 tank

This one would probably be more appropriate for your tank.

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who's implemented this method with success? How did it go, how many rounds did it take, did you make any modifications to it?

I started a thread for this method. Hopefully we'll get some feedback and analysis of it.

Rivic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran mine for 3 months and everything was looking great. I discontinued it and within 10 days they were back in force. Like @dwest I've also plumbed mine permanently from/to the DT. I may one day try it from the sump but I don't think I will ever stop the UV totally.

This is the pump I'm using on a 72x24 tank

This one would probably be more appropriate for your tank.

Thank you! I may on a few days just try to take it out and see what happens.. if I even get the feeling they are returning I will hook it back up on a more permanent basis with one of those smaller less invasive pumps. (The 400gph one I am using now turned all the way down is a huge eye sore).

Pennywise the Clown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the last week a brown mass has started growing on my sand. Straight away I believed that my dinos had returned and a quick look under the microscope would confirm this.
However, there wasn't a dino to be seen. What was there was large groups of tiny 'cells' growing in sheets. There is no movement.
It doesn't disappear at night like my dinos and doesn't break apart on contact either. Instead it stays in sheets and stays like that when disturbed and floats around the aquarium.
Any ideas what I am dealing with now?
20190727_214524.jpeg

DomiD

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys appoligies for the long post I'm currently battling dino's i have not got a microscope to confirm what type yet. my tank was a newly ugraded tank so at 1st I thought it was diatoms the tank has only been running for approx 3 months I have been using dino x which seems to be killing them off as I wake up to grey stringy dino's rather than brown also have a uv filter for suitable for tanks up to 450ltr mine is 250ltr which is definitely helping the frustrating thing is the fact everything is working to kill them but by the time I get home from work they are back again not many but enough to have to syphon them out and as the methods mentioned are not completely getting rid which is frustrating I tried a black out they went for a day then back again seriously upset my fish not done any water changes since been battling I got home today and a massive outbreak again with netting covering all my corals my nitrate and phosphate are zero according to my liquid test kit so I'm thinking this is the reason for my dinos I'm running an all in one similar to a jbj 65 with 2 cheapish protein simmers in the back im wondering maybe turning these off to see if this will boost my nitrate and phosphate levels to everything is going nicely in my tank apart from this I just feel so dam frustrated by this any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys appoligies for the long post I'm currently battling dino's i have not got a microscope to confirm what type yet. my tank was a newly ugraded tank so at 1st I thought it was diatoms the tank has only been running for approx 3 months I have been using dino x which seems to be killing them off as I wake up to grey stringy dino's rather than brown also have a uv filter for suitable for tanks up to 450ltr mine is 250ltr which is definitely helping the frustrating thing is the fact everything is working to kill them but by the time I get home from work they are back again not many but enough to have to syphon them out and as the methods mentioned are not completely getting rid which is frustrating I tried a black out they went for a day then back again seriously upset my fish not done any water changes since been battling I got home today and a massive outbreak again with netting covering all my corals my nitrate and phosphate are zero according to my liquid test kit so I'm thinking this is the reason for my dinos I'm running an all in one similar to a jbj 65 with 2 cheapish protein simmers in the back im wondering maybe turning these off to see if this will boost my nitrate and phosphate levels to everything is going nicely in my tank apart from this I just feel so dam frustrated by this any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Nothing is going to help much as long as your nitrate and phosphate are zero. I would dose Seachem Flourish phosphate for PO4 and sodium nitrate for NO3.

For nitrate.......https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0190TOJUS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

For phosphate.......https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002APIJQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Get that microscope picture and post it here for an ID For some species UV is the ticket for others different strategies will be necessary.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the last week a brown mass has started growing on my sand. Straight away I believed that my dinos had returned and a quick look under the microscope would confirm this.
However, there wasn't a dino to be seen. What was there was large groups of tiny 'cells' growing in sheets. There is no movement.
It doesn't disappear at night like my dinos and doesn't break apart on contact either. Instead it stays in sheets and stays like that when disturbed and floats around the aquarium.
Any ideas what I am dealing with now?
20190727_214524.jpeg
@taricha are these crysophytes?

Rivic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Took a video this morning of a sample off my feed clip. I swear it looks like that big black blob in the bottom is trying to eat the Dino’s. Tank is still looking pretty clear with the light dusting in areas on the sand. Nitrates are around 10-15ppm and phosphates around .17. Seeing a lot of coralline growing on rocks and powerheads. See video below. Sorry not the best quality I’m still trying to master taking a video through a microscope

Attachments

• 0DFFC4E4-A2CB-4C9F-9AA9-3A1815C11B50.MOV
    30.9 MB

jeffww

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a naughty thing. I dosed my tank with seachem excel and killed a big patch of dinoflagellates. Combined with vacuuming and dosing 5 ppm nitrates 0.2ppm phosphates....I got my dinos under control in appx. 3 days. I will update if it was a stable attack. I may have lost 2 cerith snails in the bloom. I still haven't found them. Corals (monti, stylo, mushroom, xenia, chalice) were ticked off for a day but are back to normal in about 48 hours.

Blue Carbon Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Can someone please help ID these? I dosed dinox and half my sps looks dead. I stopped dodging which may be for nothing because I still have dinos. Any idea which one? 20190726_221327.jpg

Attachments

• 20190726_221732.mp4
    16.5 MB
  • 20190726_221802.mp4
    80.6 MB

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the first and fourth clips I saw ostreopsis. I feel like I also saw some spherical ones I am not qualified to ID. @taricha or @dwest have the eyes.

@Blue Carbon Reefing the advice I got from the above linked worked FOR OSTREOPSIS. Took 4 weeks, but was traveling so could be less if ur around.

For ostreopsis:
1) Install UV and run slow on your DT at 1 watt per 3 gallons.
2) Assuming 0/0 for NO3 and PO4, dose to reach at least 10 and .10.
2a) I used
2b) and
3) While waiting for all this to come together, I clamped huge sheets of blue/white filter media in high flow / high light areas and rinsed often. You gotta get used to the smell. It is distinctive.

For dosing, I used solution instructions listed on reef2reef.com but can dig them up if u need. Good luck. All doable but start now.

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can someone please help ID these? I dosed dinox and half my sps looks dead. I stopped dodging which may be for nothing because I still have dinos. Any idea which one?
The most common cells in there are coolia dinos.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 117 58.5%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 61 30.5%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 73 36.5%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 34 17.0%
  • Other

Votes: 58 29.0%
Back