Dinoflagellates – Are You Tired Of Battling Altogether?

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Jedi. Any recommendations on a UV?
I used a 55 watt jebao for a while. It was relatively cheap and effective. It’s also big and clunky. I decided to run UV full time so I bought an aqua uv 57 watt. It’s more compact and I believe more durable. I’ve been using my aqua UV for about 18 months.

JayinToronto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is everyone’s feeling about growing Chaeto while fighting dinos?

On one hand I feel like I should keep it going just because it’s been part of my system since day 1 and I don’t want to disrupt things.

On the other hand there are some potential negatives:
-It consumes nitrate and phosphate (working against my dosing)
-It collects and grows dinos (my proprocentrum seem to love propagating on the chaeto).

I’ve recently started rinsing off my chaeto daily in a RO freshwater dip as I’ve read (I think in this thread) that dinos die instantly in fresh water.

Thoughts?

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is everyone’s feeling about growing Chaeto while fighting dinos?

On one hand I feel like I should keep it going just because it’s been part of my system since day 1 and I don’t want to disrupt things.

On the other hand there are some potential negatives:
-It consumes nitrate and phosphate (working against my dosing)
-It collects and grows dinos (my proprocentrum seem to love propagating on the chaeto).

I’ve recently started rinsing off my chaeto daily in a RO freshwater dip as I’ve read (I think in this thread) that dinos die instantly in fresh water.

Thoughts?
I agree that there are pros and cons. I removed mine as it was consuming nutrients that I was trying to increase. But others have left it for the biodiversity. Your call IMO.

scottrotton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Change my nitrates from 0.2 to 4 and today it looks like they were going, will know for sure when i get back from work and check after lights have been on for a while. Fingers crossed

Ric_andr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys my friends tank has a dino as well in his tank.. And he tried to treat his tank with chloramphenicol with do a black out, and he got a success to treat dino...
Does it any some explanation of this case?

nick9one1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys my friends tank has a dino as well in his tank.. And he tried to treat his tank with chloramphenicol with do a black out, and he got a success to treat dino...
Does it any some explanation of this case?

Unlikely. Chloramphenicol is an antibiotic. Antibiotics treat bacterial infections, not single-celled organisms like diatoms.

My guess is either;
  • He did not have diatoms, but cyanobacteria. The Chloramphenicol treated the cyano the same as chemiclean does (another antibiotic). Unless diatoms are identified using a microscope they can be easily mistaken for cyano.
  • The blackout is what cured the dinos.

Grossman90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Can anybody ID these dinos for me? Quality is crap i know. 20190825_153021.jpg

Attachments

• 20190825_153042.mp4
    15.6 MB

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there another kind in there? Seems like one slides along while other is tethering which is ostreopsis. Idk maybe its all the same.

I don't see anything but Ostreopsis but maybe @taricha will be by soon to confirm

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ostreopsis. They have two different flagella. The spin is motion from one of them, the jumps are a flick from the other flagella.

Ric_andr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unlikely. Chloramphenicol is an antibiotic. Antibiotics treat bacterial infections, not single-celled organisms like diatoms.

My guess is either;
  • He did not have diatoms, but cyanobacteria. The Chloramphenicol treated the cyano the same as chemiclean does (another antibiotic). Unless diatoms are identified using a microscope they can be easily mistaken for cyano.
  • The blackout is what cured the dinos.

Hi nick thanks for the answer
Actually we dont know well is it cyano or dino coz we do not do a research under microscope.. But as a sign its really close with dino so we are think its dino

Does blackout can permanently make Dino disappear?

Ladder Man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been a lurker for a while dealing with my dino's in my 40 breeder. My Nitrate is 10 and phosphate is .1. CA and Alk are good. I have had a 15 watt Aqua UV on for a month and added a 25 watt Aqua UV last week in line with the 15 watt pushing 150-200 gph from sump to display tank. I have a scope and am positive it is Ostreopsis. It is goes away at night but I still see some on my sandbed at the end of lights out. Doesn't seem too toxic to CUC. Why isn't this working?

saltyhog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been a lurker for a while dealing with my dino's in my 40 breeder. My Nitrate is 10 and phosphate is .1. CA and Alk are good. I have had a 15 watt Aqua UV on for a month and added a 25 watt Aqua UV last week in line with the 15 watt pushing 150-200 gph from sump to display tank. I have a scope and am positive it is Ostreopsis. It is goes away at night but I still see some on my sandbed at the end of lights out. Doesn't seem too toxic to CUC. Why isn't this working?

You might try decreasing your flow through the UV a bit. Contact time is important in killing dinos with UV. General consensus is 1-3 times tank volume. I run my UV pump at about 1.5 times tank volume. It would be unusual for UV not to be pretty rapidly effective for ostreopsis alone.

How recently have you sampled and looked at your dinos? I had what appeared to be a 100% ostreopsis outbreak. When it seemed to disappear I removed my UV. Within a few days I had obvious dinos and when I sampled them I found I then had a different speices......amphidinium... :confused: .

Good luck and let us know how it's going!

Ladder Man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually reduced the flow this morning. Glad I am thinking about this the right way. I sampled them last weekend. Little fast moving little sesame seeds. I don't see any other species that look similar.

Ladder Man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a video I just took under my cheap scope.

Last edited:

saltyhog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a video I just took under my cheap scope.

That does not look like ostreopsis and in fact doesn't look a dino at all. I could be wrong about it but let's tag @taricha for confirmation.

I little higher power picture with better focus would help.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 28 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back