Dinoflagellates – Are You Tired Of Battling Altogether?

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, I’m not going to use it, but do you know what it is? Maybe an antibiotic?
No. It claims to leave the bacteria unaffected. It is a chemical algacide. Says it works on green hair algae and warn that it could kill off your macro algae in the fuge.
It's a chemical with a long name and a long history - dino Xal, dino X, algae
X etc that it says will be deactivated by ozone or UV.

Grigs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would a Pentair 40 Watt be adequate in the Waterbox 230 to address my Ostreopsis problem if the second blackout is unsuccessful?

I found that much of it had relocated to my refugium, which I have now emptied of macro and live rock. Going to try this again, but I am considering setting up a UV between my WB230 and RS250 that I can valve in to either as needed. Thoughts?

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found this one cell that i couldnt find again that seemed to just move forward every 2secs. I figured it was amphidium but didnt get a vid of it.
Agree with Salty, ostreopsis only. (Though there may be other cells in the system, worry only about the overwhelming type first.)

Anemoneguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys. I’m done battling this stuff and since all my coral,except for my anemone are dead, I’m gonna start over. I’m thinking of even getting rock from Tampa bay live rock and use it in my sump to help start the tank again and help seed my current rock after I give it an acid bath. Im thinking if I’m careful, no unwanted hitch hikers wil get in the display. My question is should I use vinigar or bleach to clean pumps and tank? I’m gonna replace all the plumbing as well. Any thoughts on if my anemone could re infect the tank when I get ready to add him back? Not looking forward to this and any tips and advise would be appreciated. I beat this stuff once and tried to use chemiclean to get rid of the leftover Cyano I had after the Dino’s went away, but now after the chemiclean, it’s holding on.

merereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone ID this in my tank? And whats the BEST way to get rid of it?

074434D8-DD22-4529-9CE5-E1708863B8DE.jpeg F803FDD4-E951-47FF-8827-A749C3A59F70.png

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m thinking of even getting rock from Tampa bay live rock and use it in my sump to help start the tank again and help seed my current rock after I give it an acid bath. Im thinking if I’m careful, no unwanted hitch hikers will get in the display.
not a terrible idea. you might even let this seeding occur in the dark to let the heterotrophs dominate the photoautotrophs.
however, it's nonsense to expect to get real live rock like TB stuff and think there aren't dinos in there. There's just a lot more great stuff.

Can anyone ID this in my tank?
not really. maybe a video of cell movement?

merereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not a terrible idea. you might even let this seeding occur in the dark to let the heterotrophs dominate the photoautotrophs.
however, it's nonsense to expect to get real live rock like TB stuff and think there aren't dinos in there. There's just a lot more great stuff.

not really. maybe a video of cell movement?

heres a video

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
heres a video

could be amphidinium or prorocentrum. if there have been any signs of toxins treat as prorocentrum. If not, amphidinium.

Wxguy23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I stop adding plankton that I was using to feed my corals to my tank when battling Dinos?
I am now on my 3rd outbreak.
I am also using Dino X...because nothing else was working since Jan. Only on second dose.
I have lost a couple fish too, but not sure if its the Dino X or my big increase in Nitrates (15-20). Seems I stump remover dose and my dinos are exploding!

Ksmmike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm fighting dinos for the past week or so. I started with dry rock 20 months ago and had an outbreak after I think 6 months into the new tank. I used Dino-X and it cleared it up. About a month ago, I had some cyno and I used chemi-clean and it cleaned up the cyno pretty fast. I did read where it can then cause dinos after using chemi-clean and I'm wondering if that's my problem? I realize that no one will ever really know.

My nitrates are about 10ppm and my phosphates are at .04 so I do have some nutrients in the tank. Its why I'm perplexed with the dinos and not sure how to get rid of them this time. I tried Dino-x again and so far after 2 treatments and a week, it hasn't worked. I don't want to keep dumping Dino-X in there because my zoas are now closed up and don't seem happy. The acros all seem ok, but I don't want to push my luck. Sighs.

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do we know what kind?
Microscope shots?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
So I just got home and found my clam dead. This stuff has killed all my sps and all but one lps and now my freaking clam that was doing so well. Anyone know how this stuff affects clams?
Typical of Din. Stuff is evil.
Do as I do dose 1ml of Hydrogen Peroxide daily per 10 gallons for the next two months and keep whites low. You will never see it again.

blstravler

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’ve recently gotten back into the hobby after a ten (or so) year break. It’s interesting to me how much things have changed - but the Dino’s were never a problem many years ago GHA yes but that was mostly it. I look at how the hobby has changed and I keep wondering if starting tanks with dry rock is a component here. As well it’s also interesting to me how people want N and P in their tank now. I’ve never done this in the past. I just always had a heavy bio load and feeding schedule.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 38.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 64 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.1%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back