Dinoflagellates – Are You Tired Of Battling Altogether?

cobra2326

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm not really seeing much of an improvement with my Ostreopsis after weeks of using filter pads, UV (Green Killing Machine), and keeping up the N and P. PO4 is at .2-ish and N is at about 1.

@taricha in your post about Ostreopsis, you mentioned allowing N to drop while maintaining P. Should I try this? It almost seems like they get worse when I dose N.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anybody got a link to the page/post/thread that has side by side images of ostreopsis, Amphidinium, procentrum, coolia?

There is a nice Sticky for algae, and I swear I saw one for dinos on here too but failed to bookmark it.
Thanks,
scott

Brandon McHenry

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ostreopsis.

Long term, make sure to have measurable nitrates and phosphates. UV typically help a lot with these also. You’ll want at least 1 watt UV per every 3 gallons of tank water, run in and out of DT. flow about 1-3 tank volumes per hour through it.
So I got the UV sterilizer. Do you recommend stirring/blowing off the dinos to suspend them into the UV or just leave it all alone. They are growing over and killing quite a few of my corals.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got the UV sterilizer. Do you recommend stirring/blowing off the dinos to suspend them into the UV or just leave it all alone. They are growing over and killing quite a few of my corals.
Sorry.

I think you can beat these though. I personally would suck out as many as possible. Then blow and stir them to get them into the water. You can turn off the lights for a day to help that process. I would also be running GAC at one cup per 100 gallons replaced weekly until dinos subside. This will hopefully help reduce toxins.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anybody got a link to the page/post/thread that has side by side images of ostreopsis, Amphidinium, procentrum, coolia?

There is a nice Sticky for algae, and I swear I saw one for dinos on here too but failed to bookmark it.
Thanks,
scott
I used to be able to find one at algeaid.com, but have been unsuccessful lately.

Brandon McHenry

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry.

I think you can beat these though. I personally would suck out as many as possible. Then blow and stir them to get them into the water. You can turn off the lights for a day to help that process. I would also be running GAC at one cup per 100 gallons replaced weekly until dinos subside. This will hopefully help reduce toxins.
I hope so! The onset of them and the associated issues was very rapid. I will remove what I can and stir the rest up. I just changed out my BRS ROX carbon yesterday so hopefully all good on that front. Thanks!

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I got this tip from taricha and it works very well for mopping up ostreopsis:
Hang some filter floss to the glass with suction cup & zip tie in high light and high flow area. They love to hang on to it. Rinse each night.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to be able to find one at algeaid.com, but have been unsuccessful lately.

If work slows down, I will build an image list. Not simple though, as some are better identified by movement & size. Will ponder.

Only thing I could find is linked here:

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If work slows down, I will build an image list. Not simple though, as some are better identified by movement & size. Will ponder.

this shows why I can only ID ostreopsis

Xavier434

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i did buy and dose vibrant for the first time recently, there was a bit of hair algae going on so i thought i'd try to clear that up. does that stuff cause dinos?

No, not directly and possibly not at all. We do know that Vibrant kills other kinds of algae. We also know that Dinos tend to thrive better when there isn't enough other algae to compete with the Dinos. So, at least in case specific theory, Vibrant could cause a situation where it kills enough of the algae that was successfully competing with the Dinos and keeping them at bay.

However, I want to heavily stress that I have not performed any tests to back that theory up so take what I just said with a big grain of salt. The best evidence that I have is a situation where I tried Vibrant when I was fighting Dinos and noticed after a few days that my Dino outbreak got worse. I suspect the Vibrant had something to do with it, but that was not the only thing that changed in my tank that week so I cannot be certain.

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i really doubt my situation is to blame on vibrant. seems i have more wide ranging issues than that, but interesting about competing algaes

i do wonder if should continue dosing it, though..

really think my issue points back to something in my RODI water or saltwater since my tank isn't the only one on the strugglebus

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh boy. Another tank looking like it has a bit of everything except ostreopsis. @taricha can you get a look?
I can't get any cells in focus enough to make a guess here.

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
some are better identified by movement & size. Will ponder.

I have an ID guide with pics and vids. I'll finish it up in the next day or so and post it.

Pennywise the Clown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a cyano issue at the moment, mainly on my sand bed. When I look at a sample under my scope I can see what looks to be the odd dino as well as cyano.
They are very small, much smaller than the prorocentrum that I battled earlier in the year and very fast moving. I can't get a good pic of them due to not being many and so small.
Any ideas what they could be?

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are very small, much smaller than the prorocentrum that I battled earlier in the year and very fast moving. I can't get a good pic of them due to not being many and so small.
Any ideas what they could be?
Probably small cell amphidinium. See Dino guide I mentioned in the last post. (Unless they are red. Then they aren't a dino at all, but a cryptomonas or rhodomonas.)

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 75 51.7%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 74 51.0%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 37 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 32 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.2%
Back