Dinoflagellates – Are You Tired Of Battling Altogether?

Mary Carmen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Mary Carmen
These are dinos. Either prorocentrum or an amphidinium. I'm not convinced yet they are a big issue. See CUC dying?
Best way to sample what you are seeing for microscope might be to suck up the strings that you see on the sea whip etc.
I finally got something!! Here are links to 3 new videos I was able to get after the lights of the tank were on this morning.

Thank you!
@Scott b and @taricha

Mary Carmen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally got something!! Here are links to 3 new videos I was able to get after the lights of the tank were on this morning.

Thank you!
@Scott b and @taricha

Cuc are hermit crabs only and they are doing well. My green star polyp is not liking it. Today is the first day it is not opening.
I am going to put new Chemipure in right now.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally got something!!
Ok, first video really looks like ostreopsis.
video of dinos covering the algae (chaetomorpha), doesn't.

I'd run UV and try to simplify the herd a bit :)

RMS18

I keep water chemistry as my hobby
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I have an ID please, bought a new scope to get a better image. Been 5 months now battling no progress other than knocking then back for a week or so.

@taricha

20191231_113141.jpg 20191231_113136.jpg

Attachments

• 20191231_113236.mp4
    19.9 MB

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really???? So why isn't my UV doing anything. Also snails are fine nothing is dying.

There often are other species, so you may have others with ostreopsis. With UV you’ll want at least 1 watt UV per every 3 gallons of water, plumbed from DT back to DT, with a flow of 1-3 tank volumes per hour.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really???? So why isn't my UV doing anything. Also snails are fine nothing is dying.
This might help with ID:

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thank you!
@Scott b and @taricha

OK on that last clip I saw shape and movement of ostreopsis, so my previous suggested steps will work them back at least.

Edit: ah, playing catch up on the thread. taricha saw them too.

Mary Carmen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some pods can/will eat the non-toxic sand based amphidinium especially if there is nothing else left to eat.
@Scott b
Thank you for the id. I am following your instructions and already got the AA Aquarium 3watts Green Killing Machine sterilizer. Do you know anything about it? I was about to get the Sun sun but there are a lot of horror stories about the cheap plastic melting and killing fish and corals. Do you suggest buying phytoplankton? I am looking at the algae barn combos.

AaronFReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always worth a microscope re-check. Species shift under our feet.
If they dissipate off the sand, then either the UV is not functioning or the cells aren't getting into the UV.
A short blackout (48hr) can force most everything that is capable of going into the water to do so.
If that doesn't knock back the population severely, then the UV is not functioning.
I thought coolia were thought to be very UV resistant? I’ve been running it 24/7 in the display and have cleaned the glass to verify it wasn’t fouled. I recently re-checked with a microscope and they appear the same species as the first ID. Here’s a video for verification.

622894F5-F0F0-4A45-ACF6-982011D8BB27.jpeg
the good news is diatoms are almost as numerous now as you can see but they aren’t beating back the Dinos visibly

Last edited:

Radman73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To those that are battling, this can be won. I identified Dino's a year ago this month. A sample taken Wednesday showed no signs of Dino's. Finally, seem to be free. I tried most of the advice listed in this thread. I stopped water changes, dosed MB7 and sponge power, and ran to Jebao UV streilizers. I did lose all but 2 of my corals but thankfully I only had a handful anyway. I also got an explosion of vermited snails, but I'll take those over Dino's any day.

So, keep battling and good luck!

Side note: Tuxedo urchin does indeed eat vermited snails for me, so 2-3 smaller ones are probably in my near future.

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An update on my dino situation. Dinos are still flourishing since adding the UV sterilizer although I think it slows them and definitely keeps them out of the water column. My dinos do not go into the water column at night like typical ostreopsis and I know a few others have reported the same. I figured I would take a new sample just to reconfirm and all I see is ostreopsis still...

IMG-1832.JPG

My approach will be to try to siphon out dinos daily by doing small water changes and I may try to blow of all surfaces with a powerhead a few times a day then definitely have the UV sterilizer running to catch the leftovers in the water column. They are laughing at me at the moment so I'm hoping I can still get the upper hand!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 100.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

• Other.

Back