Dinoflagellates – Are You Tired Of Battling Altogether?

Xavier434

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was my first impression as well, but I am not seeing the "tails" on either end of these guys like I usually do with diatoms. Are you sure? Other opinions?

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was my first impression as well, but I am not seeing the "tails" on either end of these guys like I usually do with diatoms. Are you sure? Other opinions?
Diatoms come in many shapes and sizes

Xavier434

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a relief then. They are getting pretty thick in one corner of my tank's sand bed across about a 6x6 inch area. I may siphon them out. Not sure if it is worth it though.

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is the tank . ? For you too have diatoms unless its a new tank ...you would have to have a source of silicate . Bad rodi water ..? Dosing somethingike sponge excel ..or liquid silicate...or sand .?

Marc2952

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Havent had signs of it but under the microscope you can still see a few, they dont seem to move much though so thats a good sign.

Marc2952

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the video i see ostreopsis dinos
Yep still got the UV running you cant see them in the rocks or tank anymore but they are definitely still there after a month. I really wanted to do a water change but i guess ill have to wait a bit longer.

Xavier434

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is the tank . ? For you too have diatoms unless its a new tank ...you would have to have a source of silicate . Bad rodi water ..? Dosing somethingike sponge excel ..or liquid silicate...or sand .?

7 months. No dosing. Sand has not been added since the beginning. RODI needed filter changes about 2 weeks ago which prior to that was probably adding some silicates to the tank. The black carbon tube in the filter was half orange prior to changing. That might be the root cause. What I do not know is how long it usually takes for the silicates in the tank to be depleted. Any thoughts?

Also, is there an accurate way to test the amount of silicates in the water?

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Silicate gets used up fast in a tank ...more so the more sponges you have ...but it shouldn't take more than a week or 2 once the silicate is depleted the diatoms will die off

Xavier434

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing I have not looked to see is if any of my hardware has rust. I assume that would also add silicates to the tank? Please note that while the tank is only 7 months, this is due to a crash from December 2019. The hardware is approaching 3 years old now.

Xavier434

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it was rust in your tank you'd have bigger problems than silicate ..

Okay thanks a bunch! I am just going to let this ride for a couple more weeks since the root cause may have already been fixed. I appreciate the time you have taken to reply to my posts. :)

magikfly

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone help me get an ID on this? Doesn't swim like ostreo does...UV hasn't put a dent in it after 5 days.
Sorry about the quality, all I have is this Mickey Mouse microscope.

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't see clearly enough .. but amphidiniums are the fastest movers of the dinos .. plus UV won't touch them either . ..

Marc2952

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesnt seem like dinos to me, i dont think Amphidinum move that fast.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone help me get an ID on this? Doesn't swim like ostreo does...UV hasn't put a dent in it after 5 days.
Sorry about the quality, all I have is this Mickey Mouse microscope.

Difficult to tell for sure, but yeah, you can rule out ostreopsis. If that video is shot at 400X, then my GUESS would be small cell amphidinium. Small and fast.

Where do they look the happiest? In the sand or up higher?

Marc2952

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Difficult to tell for sure, but yeah, you can rule out ostreopsis. If that video is shot at 400X, then my GUESS would be small cell amphidinium. Small and fast.

Where do they look the happiest? In the sand or up higher?
Hmm i noticed i got those too but i see them at 1200X, the sand is white though, i didnt know dinos move that fast.

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Small cell amphidiniums are 13-15 microns big ...so about 1/3 the size of large cell .. and the fastest of all the dinos

Back