Dinoflagellates – Are You Tired Of Battling Altogether?

ReefMan692

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep running carbon and change it often. I'm sure it was the loss of the UV that caused the set back.

26 watt is pretty undersized for your tank unfortunately. The manufacturer's size recommendations are for completely different applications. Hopefully it will help but it's less than optimal. The 57 watt would have been great. Jaebo also makes a 55 watt that is much less expensive, but still works well.
I may try to call and get it swapped out I still might have time I dont think it has shipped yet.

Thanks for tip about Jaebo as well

Scribz718

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When was the last time you sampled your dinos? Could you post a couple of videos?

Change your carbon every 3-4 days, it can get expended rapidly with high levels of dinos/toxins.
I sampled them today, and before that a week ago, hoping to see diatoms. I didn't grab a video or picture but will this weekend.

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wife posting on husband's account: Need some help with battling my dinos.

Identified that I have at least prorocentrum, coolia, small cell amphidnium and possibly ostreopsis.

I have been battling the dinos for about a month in total (at first I thought it was cyano - so went in the wrong treatment direction).

I did a one day blackout in hopes of cutting down numbers and that seemed to help but was concerned how the corals would do with any further blackout.

Ran a 57w Aqua UV in display with approx 250gph (probably hitting close to 180,000ug) for 2 weeks and saw no results.

At this point my corals are suffering. I have lost all my acros and losing a torch. Thankfully I have a second tank that I was able to transfer corals to after a good dip, and blow/brush off.

Tank Specs:
Red Sea 525xl
100g net volume

Parameters:
NO3 - 25ppm
PO4 - 0.13
dKh - 8
Ca - 430
Mg - 1450
Sg - 1.025
ICP - Pending
NDOC - Pending

Added:
IPSF Liquid-N Live Sand Activator
IPSF Wondermud
Amphipods, Copepods

Regimen:
Dose approx 20-25ml All-For-Reef
Dose 20ml Phyto mid-day feeding (nannochloropsis)
Dose MicroBacter Clean 150ml after evening feeding
Skimmer set to just provide aeration and scrub co2 (turned all the way down)
Running activated carbon in a reactor (changing media weekly with the understanding that massive dino die off could release toxins)
Dose 30ml Sponge Excel daily (trying to force a diatom bloom)
Reef Brite Live Rock Enhance every 2 days
15ml H2o2 nightly
bubble scrubbing 24/7
manual circular siphon (makes it 10x worse)
Daily Filter Floss replacement
IMG_1751.jpeg
Just a few observations based on my experience. I have had a little collection too but it wasn’t as rich as yours ;)
First 30ml sponge excell seems a lot but I don’t remember the dosing rate exactly. If you don’t measure silicates I would just go with some maths and calculate 2ppm for the whole aquarium and dump it in in one go. The diatoms bloom is almost guaranteed within days. The top up dose can be much less. The diatoms will work on your Amphis.

My experience with UV while it have positive results it is slow meaning weeks. If you have most out your coals you can do a couple of day blackouts to help the uv.
I guess you know by now it will take time. Since you have such a cool mix mix dinos don’t expect a fast changes

if interested my bottle you will find it in my build tread

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you taricha, could you (or someone else) advise on a specific UV filter to get for my Red Sea 525xl?
A Lifegard 40 watt would cover it well. The general theme is 1 watt per 3 gallons. Don't follow manufacturer flow instructions of 1200 gph; go much slower to maximize contact time. 300 gph is more your speed.

Biddence

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here we go again, i got rid of most of the Dino in my tank, but they refused to go completely away. My nitrate is 10ish(Red sea) and my phosphate is .02 -.03 (Hannah ULR phosphorus) so i try to dose phosphate(food grade trisodium phosphate mix) i get a Dino bloom ever time i dose... it happens every time. Tank is still young 4 months old.

The phosphate doesn’t go up at all even though i dosed close to .2 per day for 2 weeks (assuming that it is binding to the rocks)and the Dino is starting to get thicker and really bothering my corals. So should i stop dosing phosphate or keep going to get it to a safe range?

Theres one issue with not dosing anything, my corals start to look pale if i stop dosing phosphate, so it seems that my tank is phosphate deficient. Where should i go from here?

Last edited:

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here we go again, i got rid of most of the Dino in my tank, but they refused to go completely away. My nitrate is 10ish(Red sea) and my phosphate is .02 -.03 (Hannah ULR phosphorus) so i try to dose phosphate(food grade trisodium phosphate mix) i get a Dino bloom ever time i dose... it happens every time. Tank is still young 4 months old.

The phosphate doesn’t go up at all even though i dosed close to .2 per day for 2 weeks (assuming that it is binding to the rocks)and the Dino is starting to get thicker and really bothering my corals. So should i stop dosing phosphate or keep going to get it to a safe range?

Theres one issue with not dosing anything, my corals start to look pale if i stop dosing phosphate, so it seems that my tank is phosphate deficient. Where should i go from here?
At 4 months your tank is the "Wild West" where anything can happen and most of it will over the next 12 months. You are not really doing anything wrong necessarily, it is just doing all the crazy maturation stuff that it needs to go through.

If you have SPS in a 4 month old tank then crossing your fingers and hoping for the best is advised.

As to dose/vs/not dose I'd say do what makes your corals happy. Lastly, you should get an ID on your dinos with a 400X kids microscope. Not saying it is critical this early, but a microscope is a great tool to have in reefing.

In the long run, fish waste is your reef's favorite nutrient.

ReefMan692

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dinos eat nutrients like anything else.

Raising nutrients will make the dinos happy I am reading/research/finding.

The idea of keeping it elevated is hopefully some other organism can start to out compete it where if it stays down near zero the dinos might not thrive but nothing else will either including your corals.

Dinos are tough problem. I am doing dirty tank at the moment but it feels a bit "spray and pray" if you ask me. Things have gotten worse feeding the tank nutrients but I am keeping it going for now...

Im gonna spike the ph again soon to try and hit 8.5

Aqua Man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The phosphate doesn’t go up at all even though i dosed close to .2 per day for 2 weeks
Measure phosphate 1 hr after dosing and see what you get. New sand and rocks bind a ton like you said. Might need to bump up your dose amount.

Biddence

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Measure phosphate 1 hr after dosing and see what you get. New sand and rocks bind a ton like you said. Might need to bump up your dose amount.
I went down that road and and started out with a smaller dose, the phosphate is there over a few hours. Over the course of 24 hours it’s usually back to normal, i did want to stress out my livestock by adding that much phosphate at once. If there are no major drawbacks then i might consider it

Aqua Man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went down that road and and started out with a smaller dose, the phosphate is there over a few hours. Over the course of 24 hours it’s usually back to normal
Ok , If the phosphate is gone in 24 hrs then that is what your tank is using up in that time.

Must be a strong solution if you’re only adding .2 ml ?

Similar to alk, we add what is used to keep things stable.

Biddence

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At 4 months your tank is the "Wild West" where anything can happen and most of it will over the next 12 months. You are not really doing anything wrong necessarily, it is just doing all the crazy maturation stuff that it needs to go through.

If you have SPS in a 4 month old tank then crossing your fingers and hoping for the best is advised.

As to dose/vs/not dose I'd say do what makes your corals happy. Lastly, you should get an ID on your dinos with a 400X kids microscope. Not saying it is critical this early, but a microscope is a great tool to have in reefing.

In the long run, fish waste is your reef's favorite nutrient.
I started a tank over 3 years ago and i don’t remember going through all this trouble, but more likely i know more now and just realizing what’s going on. I did bring over some live rock from my older system in hopes it would bring biodiversity and more stability to my system, i do have a frag of sps just to see how it does. It’s doing ok growing a little but a bit pale

I am also adding more fish in there soon i have 5 lyretail Anthias going in there in a couple weeks

Biddence

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok , If the phosphate is gone in 24 hrs then that is what your tank is using up in that time.

Must be a strong solution if you’re only adding .2 ml ?

Similar to alk, we add what is used to keep things stable.
Sorry for the miscommunication i am doing about 30ml of a custom trisodium phosphate mix... it equals out to be .2 phosphate in my system

Scribz718

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@saltyhog or anyone else interested , I got a video of my dinos.

ICP came back today and found a lack of potassium, boron, strontium and iodine. Dosed Brightwell's Potassion and Iodine accordingly to begin to correct those. The others have been ordered.

Attachments

• Dinos.mov
    13.6 MB

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@saltyhog or anyone else interested , I got a video of my dinos.

ICP came back today and found a lack of potassium, boron, strontium and iodine. Dosed Brightwell's Potassion and Iodine accordingly to begin to correct those. The others have been ordered.

Those are coolia dinos! These do respond well to UV. I would correct the metals deficiencies and keep NO3 and PO4 levels detectable. A one day lights out or a short term reduction in lighting schedule may prod them in to the water column more.

Zoajohn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thought I have beaten my dinos about 3 times now. Still here 5 months later. I started this tank with almost all dry rock and one piece of LR. Thinking about ordering 20+ lbs of live rock from the gulf and swapping out some/most of my rock. Think this would be worth it? At my wits end with this BS

ggNoRe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel your pain. Doing everything I can think of to try and rid this dino infestation. Just spent 2hours cleaning my tank after getting my nutrients up for a week and dosing Microbacter 7. Dinos coming back after just 2 hours of turning the lights on... Ordered a bottle of Dino X. Have you tried that yet?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 84 87.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back