Dinoflagellates – Are You Tired Of Battling Altogether?

Zoajohn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I feel your pain. Doing everything I can think of to try and rid this dino infestation. Just spent 2hours cleaning my tank after getting my nutrients up for a week and dosing Microbacter 7. Dinos coming back after just 2 hours of turning the lights on... Ordered a bottle of Dino X. Have you tried that yet?
I’ve got a bottle I haven’t used yet. I have tons of GHA, which I thought would outcompete dinos (spoiler it doesn’t) and I’m worried about the potential die off nuking my tank

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thought I have beaten my dinos about 3 times now. Still here 5 months later. I started this tank with almost all dry rock and one piece of LR. Thinking about ordering 20+ lbs of live rock from the gulf and swapping out some/most of my rock. Think this would be worth it? At my wits end with this BS
I ordered from gulfliverock.com a 20# pack. What came was good, but the transit time was not so good. It is in a tub now with heat and flow while I scrub off all the dead stuff. My guess is it is still suitable for my (and your) purpose with bacterial diversity. I am a believer but don't think we should expect overnight improvement.

I would do it again.

Zoajohn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I ordered from gulfliverock.com a 20# pack. What came was good, but the transit time was not so good. It is in a tub now with heat and flow while I scrub off all the dead stuff. My guess is it is still suitable for my (and your) purpose with bacterial diversity. I am a believer but don't think we should expect overnight improvement.

I would do it again.
Exact vendor and pounds I was planning. Where are you located? I’m one state over so hoping it wouldn’t be awful.

Scribz718

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are coolia dinos! These do respond well to UV. I would correct the metals deficiencies and keep NO3 and PO4 levels detectable. A one day lights out or a short term reduction in lighting schedule may prod them in to the water column more.
Should I run micron socks as well?

Shuladog

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A Lifegard 40 watt would cover it well. The general theme is 1 watt per 3 gallons. Don't follow manufacturer flow instructions of 1200 gph; go much slower to maximize contact time. 300 gph is more your speed.
I have a question on the use of carbon...I understand that lack of nutrients (nitrates and phosphate) can be a contributing factor to the existence of Dinos. In dealing with toxicity of certain strains carbon is recommended...Is that just the lesser of the two evils? Also I have a carbon reactor available with the BRS Rox 0.8 aquarium carbon. I haven't put it on yet because of my low nitrates but I am considering it. My tank seems to be right on the edge of beating the Dino infestation after three separate rounds of black out. Lots of green algae has started and I think I can even notice some small spots of coralline purple but noticed a small amount of Dinos on the rocks two days ago. Should I run the carbon?

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question on the use of carbon...I understand that lack of nutrients (nitrates and phosphate) can be a contributing factor to the existence of Dinos. In dealing with toxicity of certain strains carbon is recommended...Is that just the lesser of the two evils? Also I have a carbon reactor available with the BRS Rox 0.8 aquarium carbon. I haven't put it on yet because of my low nitrates but I am considering it. My tank seems to be right on the edge of beating the Dino infestation after three separate rounds of black out. Lots of green algae has started and I think I can even notice some small spots of coralline purple but noticed a small amount of Dinos on the rocks two days ago. Should I run the carbon?
I would run the ROX carbon, especially if any animals (snails for example) are struggling. GAC removes very little (or no measurable) nitrates or phosphates, but seems to be good at removing Dino toxins. I used a BRS carbon reactor when my dinos were bad, but went back to use GAC passively in a bag in the sump when dinos were almost gone. It sounds like you could get away with passive use. Either way, I would replace weekly until dinos are gone.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that green algae is good BTW!

ReefMan692

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shipping delays like usual so the UV still hasn't arrived. It's supposed to be here tomorrow. I've been running a limited light schedule all weekend because things were looking worse on Friday. The limited light has been helping keep it from getting crazy it seems (I am running like 6 hours of light but when I start to see bubbles on glass and rocks I shut the lights off).

Hopefully UV comes tomorrow and I can get that rocking DT->DT.

I have been holding steady with the "Keep it Dirty" Method. Very minimal filtration happening. I don't have any test updates I didn't have a lot of time this weekend, I dosed lightly neophos on Friday/Sunday, Skipped dosing anything saturday and monday especially don't want to over-dose without an updated test.

I plan to run the tests tomorrow when I install the UV and I'll update everyone where I'm at in a couple of days.

I do see a brown film on the glass but I can't be certain what it is, doesnt' exactly look like dinos -- perhaps a competing algae is showing up.

The only problem with killing the lights is that while it may be hindering my dino's, it's also hindering any would-be-competitors.

I'm also expecting some "good" live phyto and live copepod over the next few days and plan to hit the tank hard with those, hopefully the UV doesn't kill them.

ReefMan692

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay the new UV is installed and running. Lights out soon I hope the dinos migrate to the water column and the UV will get them.

Tested today:

Nitrate 15
Phosphate 0.1

I dont particular like phosphate being so high but sticking with the dirty tank methodology see where it takes me.

I have noticed a brown film but cant be certain it isnt dinos... almost look like film algae with some dinos growing on top of it.

Introduced a few new corals today (not smart probably but new life and hopefully some biological hitchhikers). Throughout this process my corals have been maintaining good health (5 montis, a big chalice, a large cyphastrea a few zoa colonies and a couple large mushrooms). Today I added 3 acropora (ugh 0.1 phosphate might not be great for those), a lobo, a trachy, and a micro lord. All fairly large specimens.

I havent gone for the PH spike i will soon in the next couple days.

I started a culture of live phyto and live copepod using poseidon reef culture system. Those will be ready in a week and i will hit tank hard with them.

I also ordered live pods and phyto I am doubling down didnt want to wait 7 days

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay the new UV is installed and running. Lights out soon I hope the dinos migrate to the water column and the UV will get them.

Tested today:

Nitrate 15
Phosphate 0.1

I dont particular like phosphate being so high but sticking with the dirty tank methodology see where it takes me.

I have noticed a brown film but cant be certain it isnt dinos... almost look like film algae with some dinos growing on top of it.

Introduced a few new corals today (not smart probably but new life and hopefully some biological hitchhikers). Throughout this process my corals have been maintaining good health (5 montis, a big chalice, a large cyphastrea a few zoa colonies and a couple large mushrooms). Today I added 3 acropora (ugh 0.1 phosphate might not be great for those), a lobo, a trachy, and a micro lord. All fairly large specimens.

I havent gone for the PH spike i will soon in the next couple days.

I started a culture of live phyto and live copepod using poseidon reef culture system. Those will be ready in a week and i will hit tank hard with them.

I also ordered live pods and phyto I am doubling down didnt want to wait 7 days
All might not be lost with higher PO4. Here a pic with .14 avg with apologies if this is repeated.

Right side.JPG

ReefMan692

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All might not be lost with higher PO4. Here a pic with .14 avg with apologies if this is repeated.

Right side.JPG
Beautiful Tank! That does give me hope. Some people got in my head I guess made it seem like .1 or higher is a devastation.

Need to forget what I learned and start over lol!

If you dont mind me asking what do you keep your nitrates at?

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful Tank! That does give me hope. Some people got in my head I guess made it seem like .1 or higher is a devastation.

Need to forget what I learned and start over lol!

If you dont mind me asking what do you keep your nitrates at?
Nitrates range 10-15. If they bump higher, I tend to get a little cyano which isn't a real problem, just unsightly. With some WCs and some vodka I don't find it hard to keep in the range.

Biff0rz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@ScottB I didn't follow advice, but, hoping this isn't too bad. After a month of battling cyano, I decided to use chemiclean. Before using it I verified I was up against cyano. Well, the chemiclean worked. Sandbed is clean, etc. I noticed some brown goop growing. I was able to get it under scope today and its dinos. Now, it's not all over the tank, just in small spots and I know dino is always present. I'm running a 90w uv on my 275(vol) setup, wondering if I should do anything else? I noticed the dino is starting to cover some corals, but not horribly bad. It's mostly covering some gha on the back wall and very little on the rocks. When I scoped it, it looks like osteo, but it's not moving. Pics and vid below.

Tested params today
35ppt/78*
15ppm no3
0.19 po4 (was 0.08 pre chemiclean)
460ca
1500mg
8.0 dkh

Attachments

• 2088666-e6cd7342bce4a614b1a1f1646526d39a.jpg
    2088666-e6cd7342bce4a614b1a1f1646526d39a.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 28

Zoajohn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

I would do it again.
Just got mine in today. I'm impressed how much life (used) to be alive on these rocks, but my god it has stunk up my entire house

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back