Dinoflagellates – Are You Tired Of Battling Altogether?

Mattyreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tested your Silicate level? I dosed for two weeks before I started testing and realized I had to be dosing daily about 4x more than what I was. I dealt with prorocentrum for a couple months and have been completely dino free for about 6 weeks. I've done water changes and fed aminos and still no sign of dinos.
How do I battle prorocentrum? I have tried silica dosing to no avail (11 days continuously and not a single diatom seen through microscope). Adding a UV and blowing the rocks have helped a

Nsakis1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tested your Silicate level? I dosed for two weeks before I started testing and realized I had to be dosing daily about 4x more than what I was. I dealt with prorocentrum for a couple months and have been completely dino free for about 6 weeks. I've done water changes and fed aminos and still no sign of dinos.
I have not actually. What’s the recommendation on testing silicates?

Mattyreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not actually. What’s the recommendation on testing silicates?
I use the Hanna checker on the recommendation of several reputable forum members. Hanna doesn't say it's for saltwater use but it worked really well for me. If you dig for posts by @taricha, you should find some information on accuracy.

Can't speak for other tests but I have read that the Seachem silicate test is all but useless.

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't speak for other tests but I have read that the Seachem silicate test is all but useless.
FYI, it was salifert Si test that failed myself and others that im aware of.

Mattyreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FYI, it was salifert Si test that failed myself and others that im aware of.
Thanks. Seem to recall specifically avoiding the Seachem test because of things I read but maybe I'm confusing with Salifert.

COwCOw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
could anyone please help me ID and some solutions as im worried to dose SI
I'd say ive had dino for 3-4 months (my tank is about 7-9 months old) It was amphidinium LC before but now I think its changed to small cell and in other pictures it shows some other stuff that I cant I'd and below are videos of it, 1 coral has died and its getting out of hand, Im scared to dose SI as I feel like I dont want to overdose and it becomes a problem, So if anyone can ID the pictures that would be great, and just wondering if SI is safe? Also if there are any alternatives to SI, Thanks!

241545706_207841141312504_2795634801489785534_n.jpg
r.PNG

COwCOw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
could anyone please help me ID and some solutions as im worried to dose SI
My LFS also said to not dose SI and to lower nitrates and do more water changes, they're also having dino issues. Should I listen to their advice?

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
29g sorry for late reply.

my dinos have totally cleared within 4 days, no visible dinos now for 2 days, if you put in the work on a 29g tank you should see very good results in days, if you have a lot of corals then it may take a little longer but very doable, I posted what I did in this thread, even if you can only scrub the rocks in the tank then do that, if you can not get to where they are fully gone, do a 3 day blackout at the end as that should finish them off, I didn’t have to do that tho. My post is 17.

COwCOw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my dinos have totally cleared within 4 days, no visible dinos now for 2 days, if you put in the work on a 29g tank you should see very good results in days, if you have a lot of corals then it may take a little longer but very doable, I posted what I did in this thread, even if you can only scrub the rocks in the tank then do that, if you can not get to where they are fully gone, do a 3 day blackout at the end as that should finish them off, I didn’t have to do that tho. My post is 17.

Alright, thanks! I read some of the thread and which way would you suggest to clean the rocks without damaging the good bacteria in them. And also would getting a piece of live rock help for bio diversity?

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, thanks! I read some of the thread and which way would you suggest to clean the rocks without damaging the good bacteria in them. And also would getting a piece of live rock help for bio diversity?

if you can take the rocks out of the water as I did that would be best, the bacteria will be fine, you can not wash or scrub it off, I put the rock in a bucket of tank water so the rock was only ever out of water for seconds at a time, after scrubbing with a toothbrush, I would rinse the rock with tank water and replace after turkey basting the sand under the rock, I did this for 4 days, the amount of dinos in the water after was shocking, by day 4 there were next to none.

The only thing that will kill the bacteria with this method is leaving the rock out of the water too long and even then it would take hours to kill all the bacteria, also not using the warm tank water would kill some bacteria but again this would be minimal.

You could add live rock but that would not help in the short term, your tank probably has enough bacteria already the issue is removing the dinos so the bacteria that is already in there can grow and replace the dinos, removing the dinos will give your bacteria room to grow into the place the dinos were taking up.

vital

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys! am dealing with ostreopsis, and read the first message, referring to following post of mcarroll
  • Ironically, however, once a bloom has started, lower N : P ratios is the first thing on the diagram that has a strong negative effect on an existing bloom.

• Unless you can lower your tank temperature to <68ºF, then lowering the N : P ratio (less than Redfield) may as well be the only thing on the diagram that has a strong negative effect on a bloom

• It's important to manage reducing the N : P ratio closely, as this same condition (N : P < Redfield) also has a strong positive effect on bloom start. The opposite of what you want, so crashing N and P to zero with a vodka+GFO blitz is not the idea. :p
can someone just tell me what NO3 and PO4 levels should I target to overcome ostreopsis?
I do not understand what does "N:p less then redfield" mean..

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys! am dealing with ostreopsis, and read the first message, referring to following post of mcarroll

can someone just tell me what NO3 and PO4 levels should I target to overcome ostreopsis?

If not an sps tank then nitrates above 5 and PO4 around 0.1 would be good.

Not sure on the redfield comment, might may be the guy that originally came up with the theory of nitrate/PO4 ratios?

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The nice thing about dealing with ostreopsis is that they can be EASILY managed with a properly sized UV unit.

1 watt per 3 gallons
Super slow flow. Kinda depends on size but 300 gph / 1200l per hour
You are best served by running directly to/from the display tank itself.

Reef and Dive

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If not an sps tank then nitrates above 5 and PO4 around 0.1 would be good.

Not sure on the redfield comment, might may be the guy that originally came up with the theory of nitrate/PO4 ratios?

Dealing with dinos is not a good moment to go for “Redfied ratios”. Dinos actually grow faster with the usually desired “above 20” ratios. Just keep nutrients detectable. If you have a very low ratio it is a bad moment to try to “fix” that, it will worsen the problem.

Oversized and slow UV is the solution you are looking for (Ostreopsis case).

If wou wish a deeper discussion on ratios:

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/redfield-ratio-revisited-–-what-are-we-doing-wrong.742503/

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dealing with dinos is not a good moment to go for “Redfied ratios”. Dinos actually grow faster with the usually desired “above 20” ratios. Just keep nutrients detectable. If you have a very low ratio it is a bad moment to try to “fix” that, it will worsen the problem.

Oversized and slow UV is the solution you are looking for (Ostreopsis case).

If wou wish a deeper discussion on ratios:

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/redfield-ratio-revisited-–-what-are-we-doing-wrong.742503/
Yup. Big UV and slow flow. Ignore the manufacturer recommendations. They are NOT talking about killing dinoflagellates. Algae and bacteria don't have the armor that dinos do. You are lucky. While ostreopsis are quite toxic (and you should run some GAC) they are the easiest to kill with the right UV setup.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.1%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.3%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 69 41.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back