Dinoflagellates – Are You Tired Of Battling Altogether?

iLMaRiO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did not siphon the sand. I blew it off and let the mess go down the overflow to the first chamber when the 5 micron socks are.

This is what I used:
Honritone 4 Inch Ring by 15 Inch...

i'm not sure that blowing it would go down to the overflow, at least not all and not immediatly. most of it will go back to the Bottom

or with the same system even the sand Will go down to the sump

Yazannreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
i'm not sure that blowing it would go down to the overflow, at least not all and not immediatly. most of it will go back to the Bottom

or with the same system even the sand Will go down to the sump
If you can managed to siphon it by hovering over the sand with the siphon then that's great but some sand will be sucked up and that is ok. Some people syphon out thier whole sand but I advise against it.

The method I used before was blow gently on the sand and syphon out the particles that come out. I mad sure to turn off all the pumps and wavemakers.

I also have the end of the hose directly down a new clean filter sock suspended in the sump that I can dispose of or clean right after siphoning.

iLMaRiO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ICP result from this night
should i keep dosing silicates?

Attachments

• IMG_20220124_074357.jpg
    IMG_20220124_074357.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 40

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

iLMaRiO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Si aside, that looks very good.

I have done fine with low Iodine for ages.

If you decide to dose it (potassium iodide) get instructions from @Randy Holmes-Farley and do not overdose it. The crystal form of it is shockingly concentrated.
i'm dosing as per triton suggestion as i'm planning to use triton method

but LCA doesn't go away and all corals are slowly diying

today i've measured no3 with hanna checker: 0.03ppm, even after dosing 1ppm of no3 yesterday (from yesterday to today, they dropped from 0.25 to 0.03 even with 1ppm dosed)

i think this could be one of the main reason for this death.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i'm dosing as per triton suggestion as i'm planning to use triton method

but LCA doesn't go away and all corals are slowly diying

today i've measured no3 with hanna checker: 0.03ppm, even after dosing 1ppm of no3 yesterday (from yesterday to today, they dropped from 0.25 to 0.03 even with 1ppm dosed)

i think this could be one of the main reason for this death.
Okay, cool with Triton on traces.

I agree your speculation that nutrients are a tad low for keeping the corals ticking. Ultra low nutrient is a valid method, but it requires very heavy food inputs & exporting.

I've not used the Triton method. What does it recommend for nutrient import and available levels?

iLMaRiO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, cool with Triton on traces.

I agree your speculation that nutrients are a tad low for keeping the corals ticking. Ultra low nutrient is a valid method, but it requires very heavy food inputs & exporting.

I've not used the Triton method. What does it recommend for nutrient import and available levels?
in ULNS i have to dose food, but i can't dose food because they fuel dinos too and almost all bottles doesn't say the contents, probably there are some aminos inside

i did a triton NDOC too, but im unable to understand that

Yazannreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
in ULNS i have to dose food, but i can't dose food because they fuel dinos too and almost all bottles doesn't say the contents, probably there are some aminos inside

i did a triton NDOC too, but im unable to understand that

You can input food %100 to get your po4 and NO3 up and that's what's going to help killing of dinos( bacteria that thrives in low nutrients environment). Other algaes will emerge and compete for the excess nutrients and that will get your Dinos under control. Feed away!!

iLMaRiO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can input food %100 to get your po4 and NO3 up and that's what's going to help killing of dinos( bacteria that thrives in low nutrients environment). Other algaes will emerge and compete for the excess nutrients and that will get your Dinos under control. Feed away!!
the only Coral food i have is Coral Booster from zeovit, i don't know if contains aminoacid

or dry zooplancton from tropic marin

iLMaRiO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll try in this way from today: as per instructions on the Tropic Marin Zooton bottle, 2 measuring cup twice a day. I'll shutoff the return pump 30 minutes to maximize distribution in the tank. Let's see in a couple of days if LPS and Soft opens again.

iLMaRiO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no3: 1.99 today. I'm still dosing 1ppm daily.

I think some cyano mat is starting to grow, I can see a red mat on some dead coral and some rocks. This could be a good sign.

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no3: 1.99 today. I'm still dosing 1ppm daily.

I think some cyano mat is starting to grow, I can see a red mat on some dead coral and some rocks. This could be a good sign.
Cyano and dinos often go hand in hand but they do tend to compete against earth other. So yes it is a progress even if just little. Just keep do what you are doing

iLMaRiO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cyano and dinos often go hand in hand but they do tend to compete against earth other. So yes it is a progress even if just little. Just keep do what you are doing
i'll go forward in this way but i absolutely need to know why my lobophytons are always closed . i have 2, one is closed from 2 months, the other only has a bounch of polyps opened

even an euphillia Is have trouble and doesn't open

iLMaRiO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Po4: 0.42
No3: 2.99
Silica: more than 2.00

I think po4 are too high, should I put some resin (Triton AL99) in a reactor to lower that a bit ?

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Po4: 0.42
No3: 2.99
Silica: more than 2.00

I think po4 are too high, should I put some resin (Triton AL99) in a reactor to lower that a bit ?
That is a shocking PO4 number. Nothing like you reported before and nothing like the Triton ICP test number. Something crazy there. Not sure which numbers to trust.

iLMaRiO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a shocking PO4 number. Nothing like you reported before and nothing like the Triton ICP test number. Something crazy there. Not sure which numbers to trust.
I saw that when dosing silicates the Hanna ULR checker returns wrongly high numbers. I have to use a different test.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 122 58.9%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 30.0%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 75 36.2%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 34 16.4%
  • Other

Votes: 62 30.0%
Back