OP
L

Lebowski_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i can’t see the video but from my experience, my clown pair do not have any problems with flow. When I first got them I thought they were getting their butts kicked by the flow but I think they were just settling in. Now it doesn’t seem like they care where the flow is. After seeing them get startled a few times and watching how ridiculously fast they can swim if they want to, I’m not worried about flow with them. They are goobers and they do weird stuff and sleep swimming up and down the back wall corner but they seem comfortable in any flow. Mine took a month or 2 to really get comfortable and start exploring the rock. Just give it some time and I think it will all work out.

Thank you for calming me down! I just want all my creatures to be happy in there. They do have a lot character, don't they. I had a pair of Maroons about a decade ago who hosted my glass thermometer until they got bigger.

OP
OP
L

Lebowski_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

All my clowns over the years could care less about rock work. They host something and then go for a couple tank strolls through the evening. I have a lot of flow in my tank, they go for the laminar flow up top from the gyres when strolling. Lil surfers

Great vid, they love that Xenia eh?

Also, I appreciate that gnarly Sienfeld-esque bass drop to get my morning goin.

iamacat

Higher than my pH
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great vid, they love that Xenia eh?

Also, I appreciate that gnarly Sienfeld-esque bass drop to get my morning goin.

It’s a love hate with the Xenia. It’s killed hundreds of dollars worth of coral by shading and irritation. Probably some nutrient theft as well. I’ve better managed it now that I’m healthy tho so not so angry about it.

it just spreads so fast and when I go to prune their area I get bit by that rude female. They’ve been spawning in the forest for almost 2 years now

woodyarmadillo

The other Tim
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for calming me down! I just want all my creatures to be happy in there. They do have a lot character, don't they. I had a pair of Maroons about a decade ago who hosted my glass thermometer until they got bigger.
That’s exactly what I thought when I got my clowns and my wife even said that too. She thought they looked like they were getting blasted with flow but I can almost guarantee they will settle in and be fine. I had mine up to 50% on my Nero 3 in my 14g and they seemed just as comfortable as they are at 5% it just took a week or two to settle in. Only real reason I’m taking my flow down is because my hammer was doing great in lower flow and now it looks awful and my Zoas are being finicky so I’m just playing trying to find the solution.

lol my clowns will do this thing where the female will be swimming by the male and she’ll kind of give him a little nudge and the male will act like he just got an electrical shock for a couple seconds, really putting on a show to show that she is the boss of the tank.

OP
OP
L

Lebowski_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It’s a love hate with the Xenia. It’s killed hundreds of dollars worth of coral by shading and irritation. Probably some nutrient theft as well. I’ve better managed it now that I’m healthy tho so not so angry about it.

it just spreads so fast and when I go to prune their area I get bit by that rude female. They’ve been spawning in the forest for almost 2 years now

I had some Xenia wipe out a previous tank before too. It was right under a Halide on my 65g, and it honestly grew multiple heads a day. I had it on an island but it made the jump to the rockwork and started going to town in my Acan/Favia zone.

It's really cool that your clowns love it so much, though.There is nothing more impressive to me than having your inhabitants be so happy with their environment that they spawn or live to their full potential.

In our next tank, I am hoping to go sofites and anemones with more swimming space, something my wife will appreciate a bit more than stonies, and something our guests will be more interested in. I think I will try that weed again on it's own little area.

iamacat

Higher than my pH
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had some Xenia wipe out a previous tank before too. It was right under a Halide on my 65g, and it honestly grew multiple heads a day. I had it on an island but it made the jump to the rockwork and started going to town in my Acan/Favia zone.

It's really cool that your clowns love it so much, though.There is nothing more impressive to me than having your inhabitants be so happy with their environment that they spawn or live to their full potential.

In our next tank, I am hoping to go sofites and anemones with more swimming space, something my wife will appreciate a bit more than stonies, and something our guests will be more interested in. I think I will try that weed again on it's own little area.
It’s one of my favorite and adds so much depth to the tank. Love how it flows and pulses. It is insane how fast the grow and spread. No matter what I have done they go anywhere and everywhere. Currently trying to get them strictly to the back wall and off all rocks. It’s not such an issue pruning the mature stalks. Those little ones are like pompom cheerleaders taunting me. They are in all the inconvenient places right next to other corals

woodyarmadillo

The other Tim
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s one of my favorite and adds so much depth to the tank. Love how it flows and pulses. It is insane how fast the grow and spread. No matter what I have done they go anywhere and everywhere. Currently trying to get them strictly to the back wall and off all rocks. It’s not such an issue pruning the mature stalks. Those little ones are like pompom cheerleaders taunting me. They are in all the inconvenient places right next to other corals
I’m dreading this but thankfully haven’t had that problem yet. This is my first tank and Xenia, GSP and cloves really drew me in because they are just neat looking and a lot of movement to someone that’s new to coral. I put them all on an island and I know at some point it will start trying to grow other places too but it hasn’t grown much at all yet in the 3 months or so it’s been in there (thankfully).

23D45F00-68EA-48DD-97D9-E4BDBA650A9B.jpeg

iamacat

Higher than my pH
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m dreading this but thankfully haven’t had that problem yet. This is my first tank and Xenia, GSP and cloves really drew me in because they are just neat looking and a lot of movement to someone that’s new to coral. I put them all on an island and I know at some point it will start trying to grow other places too but it hasn’t grown much at all yet in the 3 months or so it’s been in there (thankfully).

23D45F00-68EA-48DD-97D9-E4BDBA650A9B.jpeg
I had the Xenia colony for 6 years and it never left the rock it was on. Then I got more serious and upgraded my tank. They went nuts. Now I have to prune a nice store credit out every 3 weeks. If you can stay on top of the spread you will be okay. I was not able to unfortunately
version=1&uuid=D3AAE300-943A-42A0-AEB6-9D9457CD015B&mode=compatible&noloc=1.jpeg
IMG_6407.jpeg

dark times

OP
OP
L

Lebowski_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the Xenia colony for 6 years and it never left the rock it was on. Then I got more serious and upgraded my tank. They went nuts. Now I have to prune a nice store credit out every 3 weeks. If you can stay on top of the spread you will be okay. I was not able to unfortunately
version=1&uuid=D3AAE300-943A-42A0-AEB6-9D9457CD015B&mode=compatible&noloc=1.jpeg
IMG_6407.jpeg

dark times

That is one of the craziest Xenia before and after shots I have ever seen. Reminds me of the Clove polyp take voer shots you see once in a while. The Clowns sure love it, though.

iamacat

Higher than my pH
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is one of the craziest Xenia before and after shots I have ever seen. Reminds me of the Clove polyp take voer shots you see once in a while. The Clowns sure love it, though.
This was after some removal too. It was not easy at this stage as I was coming back to life and manipulating the forceps was a serious challenge for me.

OP
OP
L

Lebowski_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
L

Lebowski_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not much to update. Tough battle with dinos again. They were gone for a couple weeks, but they've come back, and its a different type this time.

:(

iamacat

Higher than my pH
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not much to update. Tough battle with dinos again. They were gone for a couple weeks, but they've come back, and its a different type this time.

:(
I have run into a bit of a dance as well. I’ve been trying to decrease my vermetid snail population but my system has dropped into ULN territory with the decrease in feedings. Started to see decreasing coloration and some Dino’s on the sand so I increased feedings with added reefroids. Watched the snails catch all that in their mucous.

did some research on Plus NP by TM and that should help me keep nutrient levels up while not feeding the snails.

you could probably get by with feeding a little heavy or adding the reefroids. But I know it’s a tough balance in a nano at the early stages to prevent dinos and not swing into algae. You know what you’re doing tho so you probably already know this. I was just relieved to find a product that would work for my situation, would benefit you as well

OP
OP
L

Lebowski_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have run into a bit of a dance as well. I’ve been trying to decrease my vermetid snail population but my system has dropped into ULN territory with the decrease in feedings. Started to see decreasing coloration and some Dino’s on the sand so I increased feedings with added reefroids. Watched the snails catch all that in their mucous.

did some research on Plus NP by TM and that should help me keep nutrient levels up while not feeding the snails.

you could probably get by with feeding a little heavy or adding the reefroids. But I know it’s a tough balance in a nano at the early stages to prevent dinos and not swing into algae. You know what you’re doing tho so you probably already know this. I was just relieved to find a product that would work for my situation, would benefit you as well

Funny you mention that. Look what came yesterday:

IMG_4196.jpeg

Best of luck on your Dino War. Started today. Great minds ;)

I did a huge water change yesterday. I realize that’s not helping the whole nutrients are low issue but I wanted to mechanically remove as much as I could. Lack of patience. I also cleaned the glass which had film algae on it, and I think moving forward for the next month or so, I’m going to let the film algae build up on the side panels.

Also added a Bubble Magus Mini Q. For a couple weeks I will just let it aerate and break in, not going to actually have it skim while the Dino War is underway.

IMG_4197.jpeg

You can see I also have the inTank tidal riser on…just trying it out, really.

To fit the skimmer, I had to take a hammer to my filtration blocks, and added them below the heaters in the evap chamber.

IMG_4190.jpeg

Doing this unleashed a cloud of dust into the tank and ticked off everyone so today is just a day of letting things settle back down.

Going to pick up a couple Hanna Checkers today - LR Phosphate and Nitrate. I shall win the Dino War in the long run.

New FTS dropping soon.

iamacat

Higher than my pH
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny you mention that. Look what came yesterday:

IMG_4196.jpeg

Best of luck on your Dino War. Started today. Great minds ;)

I did a huge water change yesterday. I realize that’s not helping the whole nutrients are low issue but I wanted to mechanically remove as much as I could. Lack of patience. I also cleaned the glass which had film algae on it, and I think I moving forward for the next month or so, I’m going to let the film algae build up on the side panels.

Also added a Bubble Magus Mini Q. For a couple weeks I will just let it aerate and break in, not going to actually have it skim while the Dino War is underway.

IMG_4197.jpeg

You can I also have the inTank tidal riser on…just trying it out, really.

To fit the skimmer, I had to take a hammer to my filtration blocks, and added them below the heaters in the evap chamber.

IMG_4190.jpeg

Doing this unleashed a cloud of dust into the tank and ticked off everyone so today is just a day of letting things settle back down.

Going to pick up a couple Hanna Checkers today - LR Phosphate and Nitrate. I shall win the Dino War in the long run.

New FTS dropping soon.
It’s great to find others on here sharing similar experiences.

I let my glass get filthy and that was the only time I had a non 0.0 reading on my nutrients. Once I cleaned they went back to 0.0. So I do recommend letting the tank just build up if you can stomach it. I’ve only just started the Plus NP and hoping that can get me coral health while depleting the vermetids.

i am also decreasing water changes. Found that I needed extra DI canisters with my new well as it was 14 TDS last WC. That’s probably my main issue as I haven’t changed my feeding schedule in a looong time and haven’t had visible issues untill the new well.

it’s nice to have years of experience as we can have patience and understanding of what we are seeing. Best to make small adjustments and let the system find its rhythm. Looking forward to the FTS!

OP
OP
L

Lebowski_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s great to find others on here sharing similar experiences.

I let my glass get filthy and that was the only time I had a non 0.0 reading on my nutrients. Once I cleaned they went back to 0.0. So I do recommend letting the tank just build up if you can stomach it. I’ve only just started the Plus NP and hoping that can get me coral health while depleting the vermetids.

i am also decreasing water changes. Found that I needed extra DI canisters with my new well as it was 14 TDS last WC. That’s probably my main issue as I haven’t changed my feeding schedule in a looong time and haven’t had visible issues untill the new well.

it’s nice to have years of experience as we can have patience and understanding of what we are seeing. Best to make small adjustments and let the system find its rhythm. Looking forward to the FTS!

We will prevail!

I admittedly rushed this tank, in part because in the past I've used LR from display tanks, and in part because I wanted to keep my wife excited about the tank (she is, and now we're planning a 2nd tank :) ). I think my biggest mistake was underestimating how much different starting a tank is with LifeRock vs actual live rock from an established reef. I added about 3lbs of real LR but it just is such a small%.

Now it's time to slow down a little. Going to aim for 2 weeks with no W/C. Just going to feed Reef Roids and mysis and let the film algae hopefully flourish.

Corals perked up again this morning so it turns out I didn't kill the whole tank yesterday, so that's a relief.

Right now I am using RODI from a local place, but it's a bit run down and I am seriously wondering just how well maintained their systems are. Maybe it's time to get my own unit. Saw one locally for $200 CAD, might be time to bite the bullet...especially if we're setting up a 2nd tank.

Is Plus NP short for NeoPhos from Brightwell?

iamacat

Higher than my pH
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We will prevail!

I admittedly rushed this tank, in part because in the past I've used LR from display tanks, and in part because I wanted to keep my wife excited about the tank (she is, and now we're planning a 2nd tank :) ). I think my biggest mistake was underestimating how much different starting a tank is with LifeRock vs actual live rock from an established reef. I added about 3lbs of real LR but it just is such a small%.

Now it's time to slow down a little. Going to aim for 2 weeks with no W/C. Just going to feed Reef Roids and mysis and let the film algae hopefully flourish.

Corals perked up again this morning so it turns out I didn't kill the whole tank yesterday, so that's a relief.

Right now I am using RODI from a local place, but it's a bit run down and I am seriously wondering just how well maintained their systems are. Maybe it's time to get my own unit. Saw one locally for $200 CAD, might be time to bite the bullet...especially if we're setting up a 2nd tank.

Is Plus NP short for NeoPhos from Brightwell?
Tropic Marin Plus NP

for the veteran reefers going back to your introduction to the hobby, starting without live rock is wild. When I refreshed my system when moving into the 75 I didn’t want anything from my old rock coming with me. I cycled new rock in a brute for like 15days. I had a seamless transfer and had no big swings any direction with Dino’s, diatoms, or cyano. I was using bottle bac on a schedule and that worked in my experience. I also had a cryptic reactor with bioballs being showered to start the system. Similar to your bio media, just to give an extra bacteria boost early on when I wanted to keep a stocked system.

once the system reached around 1.5yrs I removed the reactor.

this hobby is hard enough as is, I can’t imagine needing to go get water. I started with an RODI but did the bucket method which lead to wet basements if not timed right. Float switch in a brute was a game changer which lead to less frustrating maintenance. Also helps to have control over the source water. Extra cost to replace media, but you know whether the media is changed and the TDS coming out before lugging it home and paying for issues

OP
OP
L

Lebowski_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Decided to visit a new local shop and of course given them some of my money. If I did ignore the red stuff that makes us all sad, everyone is happy in the tank.

IMG_4205.jpeg
IMG_4209.jpeg
IMG_4208.jpeg

IMG_4207.jpeg

A local shop keep gave me those sticks for free, he was going to cull them since they didn’t colour up nice.

Sorry took the pics late in the light cycle and didn’t want to crank the whites.

Torch is up at the top getting blasted by flow because I realized they love it after seeing them in the local shops getting typhooned.

Last edited:

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 32.8%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back