IMG_4269.png
    82.2 KB · Views: 129

iamacat

Higher than my pH
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based on some input from @iamacat and @vetteguy53081 , I am going to be trying a new 5 day regimen. I’ll post an update pic each day (60% whites, 20% everything else so I can’t hide my shame), we will see how it goes.

You can find the 5 day plan here. I will be using a turkey baster to manually remove as much as I can and changing the floss daily. I will also be dosing Microbaktor7. Skimmer will be running and I will be doing a small w/c once as it’s been 2 weeks. Let’s hope science prevails!

Day 1:
IMG_4265.jpeg

IMG_4266.jpeg

IMG_4267.jpeg
IMG_4268.jpeg
You’ll get this handled. Luckily you have a small space to manage.

I know many are suspect of the bottle bac but I have had nothing but positive outcomes. The microbacterclean was really what gave me rapid noticeable results. I found it most effective at the early stages of onset or after I manually removed as much as I could.

I still use it every couple months to refresh

*i also used the KZ cyanoclean. Just a drop or two for your tank. I would use 6drops weekly to fend of the cyano, even when I didn’t see it

OP
OP
L

Lebowski_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’ll get this handled. Luckily you have a small space to manage.

I know many are suspect of the bottle bac but I have had nothing but positive outcomes. The microbacterclean was really what gave me rapid noticeable results. I found it most effective at the early stages of onset or after I manually removed as much as I could.

I still use it every couple months to refresh

I am going to grab a bottle. Even if it's a placebo, I will accept the good vibes lol.

My 25 Lagoon is on the way and I've told myself I won't start considering moving everything over to it until I feel better about this cyano/dino situation, so feeling very motived.

Lets Go Sport GIF by ALL ELITE WRESTLING

iamacat

Higher than my pH
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang, that stuff gets great reviews. Might order a bottle tonight. All of the Zeovit product seems to get really great reviews, which scares me a little, but I trust your word.
I have very much enjoyed the KZ line of products and have used a handful. Flatworm stop, Coral Booster, Coral Vitalizer, Coral Colors, CyanoClean, and I made my own coral snow.

Tropic Marin and Brightwell are the other companies I fancy. These three run my system

OP
OP
L

Lebowski_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have very much enjoyed the KZ line of products and have used a handful. Flatworm stop, Coral Booster, Coral Vitalizer, Coral Colors, CyanoClean, and I made my own coral snow.

Tropic Marin and Brightwell are the other companies I fancy. These three run my system

I was just looking at Coral Snow - $75 for a bottle here in Canada. Scared me off lol. Thanks for all the responses!

OP
OP
L

Lebowski_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Came home today and it was much less thick than in previous days, and there was almost none on the rock work. A small improvement, but a welcome one. Going to clean again tonight and then dose Hydrogen Peroxide again.

OP
OP
L

Lebowski_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 0
IMG_4265.jpeg

Day 1
IMG_4274.jpeg

Day 2

IMG_4277.jpeg

Pretty significant improvement so far on day 3 (2 nights of peroxide dosing). Most of the red looking blotches in this photo are just effects from the LED light - only red slime visible is on glass, below the mushroom hotel container, and a bit behind it as well.

Fingers crossed!

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

Lebowski_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Switched up the day numbers to better represent how many days since the full regimen has been put in place.

Day 3 - unfortunately I stirred up the gravel before I took the pic. It looked a lot like yesterday. Really hard not to clean the side panels!

IMG_4291.jpeg

PO4 - 0.04
NO3 - 0.08 lol god bless ya Hanna checker for going above 0.

2 more nights of hydrogen peroxide dosing.

Attachments

• IMG_4292.jpeg
    IMG_4292.jpeg
    156.1 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_4293.jpeg
    IMG_4293.jpeg
    138.7 KB · Views: 39
OP
OP
L

Lebowski_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an opportunity to get some live rock from a nice established reef this weekend, if I choose.

Thoughts? Yay or nay?

OP
OP
L

Lebowski_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it pest free? I think you’re doing great without it

No way to know from a fellow hobbyist. I would guess no since they are tearing their tank down, I imagine there may be some neglect.

As you mentioned above, going to try some homemade coral snow next week when the Calcium Carbonate powder comes in. Will look at ordering some tonight.

I will hold off, see how days 4 and 5 go. I will be most interested in the first 3-5 days after I stop, see if it bounces back.

woodyarmadillo

The other Tim
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it pest free? I think you’re doing great without it
I agree. As far as I know, live rock even in small quantities can be very beneficial to your reef, but it’s up to you. I’d be a little nervous to mess with the system right away after recovering from the recent outbreak. I think if I started over I’d pay the extra and go all live ocean rock for sure.

OP
OP
L

Lebowski_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree. As far as I know, live rock even in small quantities can be very beneficial to your reef, but it’s up to you. I’d be a little nervous to mess with the system right away after recovering from the recent outbreak. I think if I started over I’d pay the extra and go all live ocean rock for sure.

I am setting up a 25 Lagoon in the next few weeks, and I would agree with you whole heartedly! The problem is that no one around here seems to carry actual live rock, except 2 sketchy places with not so healthy systems, and one online store which charges 160% the regular going price.

Will cross that bridge when I get there.

woodyarmadillo

The other Tim
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am setting up a 25 Lagoon in the next few weeks, and I would agree with you whole heartedly! The problem is that no one around here seems to carry actual live rock, except 2 sketchy places with not so healthy systems, and one online store which charges 160% the regular going price.

Will cross that bridge when I get there.
Yes, the reefers on here I regular talk to highly recommend the Tampa bay live rock. It’s $6 a pound for base rock but I assume the shipping is going to be pricey. It depends on how important it is to you and how much you want to spend.

OP
OP
L

Lebowski_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 37.9%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 22.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 11 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 20.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back