woodyarmadillo

The other Tim
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sadly they don't ship up here to Canada

Fast Food Burgers GIF by Harvey's's
Hey, off topic, how do you like living in Canada? I was raised in Michigan but now live in Texas. We are considering moving into the northeast US around Maine/New Hampshire. To be honest though, we just don’t like a lot of things about the United States but it’s hard to leave. I’ve only been in Canada a couple times on short trips and people in the US generally know nothing about Canada. I know there are some beautiful places and you seem to be less miserable than us lol, but we are also concerned about the weather. I mean there has to be some brutal winters there no matter where you are right? I guess I just don’t get a chance to ask Canadians how they like living there very often and wanted to get your opinion.

OP
OP
L

Lebowski_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, off topic, how do you like living in Canada? I was raised in Michigan but now live in Texas. We are considering moving into the northeast US around Maine/New Hampshire. To be honest though, we just don’t like a lot of things about the United States but it’s hard to leave. I’ve only been in Canada a couple times on short trips and people in the US generally know nothing about Canada. I know there are some beautiful places and you seem to be less miserable than us lol, but we are also concerned about the weather. I mean there has to be some brutal winters there no matter where you are right? I guess I just don’t get a chance to ask Canadians how they like living there very often and wanted to get your opinion.

So I love living in Canada, but also remember, I've lived here my whole life so it's what feels safe. The part of Canada I live in (near Buffalo) is very populated, but gets better weather than many states. I used to live in the Soo which shares a border with it's sister town: Sault Ste Marie, Michigan, so the weather was about the same. Most Canadians live in the band of land straddling the border, which also happens to the be the warmest areas of Canada.

The biggest changes for you will be that we generally have lower salaries, we pay more taxes, healthcare is "free" (some stuff isn't but all the important stuff except dental is - most companies include dental in their benefits). Each province is probably closer culture wise to it's southern neighbour than it is to other parts of Canada. Ontario will be a lot like Michigan. The prairies will be a lot like Montana/the Dakotas, BC much like Oregon and Washington, Maritimes like RI and northern Mass.

Much of Canada, especially the rural areas, have that wonderful small time charm, just hard to find work. Great pace of life though. Toronto area/Southern Ontario/Montreal all have a similar vibe to the less dense areas of Eastern US, just a bit less intense in most ways.

woodyarmadillo

The other Tim
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I love living in Canada, but also remember, I've lived here my whole life so it's what feels safe. The part of Canada I live in (near Buffalo) is very populated, but gets better weather than many states. I used to live in the Soo which shares a border with it's sister town: Sault Ste Marie, Michigan, so the weather was about the same. Most Canadians live in the band of land straddling the border, which also happens to the be the warmest areas of Canada.

The biggest changes for you will be that we generally have lower salaries, we pay more taxes, healthcare is "free" (some stuff isn't but all the important stuff except dental is - most companies include dental in their benefits). Each province is probably closer culture wise to it's southern neighbour than it is to other parts of Canada. Ontario will be a lot like Michigan. The prairies will be a lot like Montana/the Dakotas, BC much like Oregon and Washington, Maritimes like RI and northern Mass.

Much of Canada, especially the rural areas, have that wonderful small time charm, just hard to find work. Great pace of life though. Toronto area/Southern Ontario/Montreal all have a similar vibe to the less dense areas of Eastern US, just a bit less intense in most ways.
Very much appreciated. I once did a fly in fishing trip there when I was a kid. I realize now that saying there probably isn’t very helpful since Canada is very large lol but I have no idea where I was. We drove up into Canada and got on one of those little water planes, they took us out to a cabin in the middle of nowhere and dropped us off for a week. Aside from getting lost in the woods for several hours and scaring the heck out of my dad, it was an amazing time. I took my wife (a native Texan) up into the north east last year to see Fall and she was in love. It is such an odd thing to describe to someone that has lived their entire life around the seasons but in Texas you only have Summer and a short Winter. No beautiful Fall colors with a nice cool breeze or vibrant green spring rain storms. The people here are really missing out on life. Yes the days of waking up to snow plow your driveway and scrape the ice off your windshield while your hair has ice hanging off it is miserable but I think it’s worth it.

Anyways, thanks for the input. We may look at coming up there at some point if you’ll let a couple of us crazy Americans in. Lol

OP
OP
L

Lebowski_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very much appreciated. I once did a fly in fishing trip there when I was a kid. I realize now that saying there probably isn’t very helpful since Canada is very large lol but I have no idea where I was. We drove up into Canada and got on one of those little water planes, they took us out to a cabin in the middle of nowhere and dropped us off for a week. Aside from getting lost in the woods for several hours and scaring the heck out of my dad, it was an amazing time. I took my wife (a native Texan) up into the north east last year to see Fall and she was in love. It is such an odd thing to describe to someone that has lived their entire life around the seasons but in Texas you only have Summer and a short Winter. No beautiful Fall colors with a nice cool breeze or vibrant green spring rain storms. The people here are really missing out on life. Yes the days of waking up to snow plow your driveway and scrape the ice off your windshield while your hair has ice hanging off it is miserable but I think it’s worth it.

Anyways, thanks for the input. We may look at coming up there at some point if you’ll let a couple of us crazy Americans in. Lol
I don't think I could ever give up the amazing Springs and Falls here in Ontario. Long sunsets, 20C with a nice breeze and a blue sky. I can put up with a few winter storms for that :).

I will say fall is the most idylic time so be careful being too drawn in to it lol especially up in the Northern areas where it comes and goes in a blink and the cold descends down. Great country, though.

Have a good one and thanks for your help today.

iamacat

Higher than my pH
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No way to know from a fellow hobbyist. I would guess no since they are tearing their tank down, I imagine there may be some neglect.

As you mentioned above, going to try some homemade coral snow next week when the Calcium Carbonate powder comes in. Will look at ordering some tonight.

I will hold off, see how days 4 and 5 go. I will be most interested in the first 3-5 days after I stop, see if it bounces back.
That would be a big gamble. I would hate to have a potential issue since I think you are managing the standard tank maturity well. Like vermetids……

I’ll bet that MB7 Calcium Carbonate combo does the trick. I’ll let you know if it takes care of vermetids.

OP
OP
L

Lebowski_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Switched up the day numbers to better represent how many days since the full regimen has been put in place.

Day 3 - unfortunately I stirred up the gravel before I took the pic. It looked a lot like yesterday. Really hard not to clean the side panels!

IMG_4291.jpeg

PO4 - 0.04
NO3 - 0.08 lol god bless ya Hanna checker for going above 0.

2 more nights of hydrogen peroxide dosing.

Day 4

IMG_4295.jpeg

Almost no cyano anywhere this morning!

Today my calcium carbonate is arriving, so I think what I’m going to do is I am going to clean the left side panel with the red streak, leave the right, and get it all stirred up. Then I will add the marine snow + microbaktor7 and leave the sump pump off for a couple hours.

Maybe I will move my Nero 3 down so nothing settles on the bottom while the sump pump is off.

Attachments

• IMG_4296.jpeg
    IMG_4296.jpeg
    209 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_4297.jpeg
    IMG_4297.jpeg
    188.3 KB · Views: 23

woodyarmadillo

The other Tim
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 4

IMG_4295.jpeg

Almost no cyano anywhere this morning!

Today my calcium carbonate is arriving, so I think what I’m going to do is I am going to clean the left side panel with the red streak, leave the right, and get it all stirred up. Then I will add the marine snow + microbaktor7 and leave the sump pump off for a couple hours.

Maybe I will move my Nero 3 down so nothing settles on the bottom while the sump pump is off.
As far as the glass, I was having a very similar film algae problem not too long ago. Everyday I would get home and have the glass and some of the sandbed covered in that green film, I’d use a magnet to clean it off, spend some time cleaning up the tank and have it looking great again after 15 minutes or so. Then the next day when I got home, I’d have the same problem again. Repeat every day for weeks. I can’t say for sure whether it was seeding the tank with copepods and feeding photo, cleaning the sump up really good and keeping it clean or the coral snow and mb7, but within a few days that issue was completely gone. I really think it was the coral snow. Anyways, good luck! Think you’re getting to the end of the uglies now!

OP
OP
L

Lebowski_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ladies and gentlemen, we have nitrogen.

Season 17 Wow GIF by America's Got Talent

Nitrates tested at 8.8 today - first time I've seen a number above 1 since my cycle finished. Feels pretty good. Phosphates back to 0.02 but that's ok.

DIY Coral Snow seemed to go well, I guess I will see tomorrow when the lights come on a little stronger. Going to ramp them up slightly tomorrow, and over the next week or so.

Clowns also getting frisky - the smaller one is doing the ol' seizure dance. I think he's finally decided to submit and pair up. Long term, this tank will become an anemone/softy tank for these lovebirds, and all the LPS/SPS will be moved to the incoming 25 lagoon.

Hope everyone is having a great weekend.

woodyarmadillo

The other Tim
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Season 17 Wow GIF by America's Got Talent's Got Talent

Nitrates tested at 8.8 today - first time I've seen a number above 1 since my cycle finished. Feels pretty good. Phosphates back to 0.02 but that's ok.

DIY Coral Snow seemed to go well, I guess I will see tomorrow when the lights come on a little stronger. Going to ramp them up slightly tomorrow, and over the next week or so.

Clowns also getting frisky - the smaller one is doing the ol' seizure dance. I think he's finally decided to submit and pair up. Long term, this tank will become an anemone/softy tank for these lovebirds, and all the LPS/SPS will be moved to the incoming 25 lagoon.

CB1C6BC1-D5A4-48A0-9B32-AF6FFA5ECCC5.jpeg

If you like the coral snow and it’s helping, even if you don’t need think you need it anymore, I’ve been following along with some of the veterans that do it weekly after your water change just to keep the tank looking extra sparkly.

Another thing I didn’t ask you about it Copepods. Do you know if you have a copepod population? I added some from Dinkins and have been feeding phyto the last month and I can see the pods now and they seem to be helping the tank out a lot.

woodyarmadillo

The other Tim
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Season 17 Wow GIF by America's Got Talent's Got Talent

Lol I bought a bonded pair and every once in awhile the female will turn around and look the male right in the eyes and he starts doing the seizure dance.

OP
OP
L

Lebowski_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol I bought a bonded pair and every once in awhile the female will turn around and look the male right in the eyes and he starts doing the seizure dance.
I just love them, man. I get that everyone has Clowns, and all that...but they just have so much personality.

As for pods, I do see them scrambling around at night all over the place. There's a local vendor who sells that at a shop I am visiting next weekend, along with phyto. I may try some just because I apparently hate budgets and saving money.

OP
OP
L

Lebowski_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As bad as you label it, it still looks like it’s going well. You’re doing it right. Better to over nutrient than to bottom out IMO. I also used MB7 for the first 6m with what I thought was great results.

tonight my battle vs the vermetid snails begin.

I was just remembering this post with vermetid snails, after reading a blog about using coral snow in high target dosages to kill them.

Did you end up with some good news on that front?

Last edited:

iamacat

Higher than my pH
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just remembering this post with vermetid snails, after reading a blog about using coral snow in high target dosages to kill them.

Did you end up with some good news on that front?
I can’t remember what day I’m on but I’ve been blasting them with the snow every night after blowing around some sand.

I’ve got a dozen bumblebee snails moving around and they seem to be eating something and with their limited diet I am hopeful that’s the vermetids.

It’s just obnoxious how many of them I have. The backside of one rock is completely covered. I haven’t started smashing yet because I’m observing the mucus nets and if there is any effect from the snow.

OP
OP
L

Lebowski_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So got caught in a bit of a bind today. A reefer in the area was selling off his tank, planned for Julyish when he moves. I told him I’d take some rock and one of his bubble tips. Thought it would line up nicely with my plans for my 25 lagoon, which will steal most of the coral from this tank and turn it into a Zoa/softie tank with a few bubble tips.

Today I get a call - he decided to tear it down and I can come pick things up.

Bad timing but I also know he held this stuff for me. Decided it was only fair to go and get it, but I am not really ready.

I read up on some of OrionN’ threads and decided to use his idea of putting the anemone in a cup. I put some LR pieces in the bottom. After acclimatizing in the cup, I poured the water out and then dunked her into the DT….

Not ideal. Got the LR in a bucket with a heater and AC, and tossed some dry LifeRock in with it. Not really sure how to proceed. Don’t want the BTA to sting my existing coral so I left half the tank for it if it decides to leave the cup. Definitely nervous it will go into the Nero so I’ve turned it right down.

Good news is that the tank looks very clean and very few traces of Cyano left. Going to be a nervous couple of weeks once the 25 Lagoon arrives.

Attched pic shows the anemone a few hours after adding it.

IMG_4301.jpeg IMG_4304.jpeg IMG_4303.jpeg IMG_4302.jpeg

Last edited:

woodyarmadillo

The other Tim
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So got caught in a bit of a bind today. A reefer in the area was selling off his tank, planned for Julyish when he moves. I told him I’d take some rock and one of his bubble tips. Thought it would line up nicely with my plans for my 25 lagoon, which will steal most of the coral from this tank and turn it into a Zoa/softie tank with a few bubble tips.

Today I get a call - he decided to tear it down and I can come pick things up.

Bad timing but I also know he held this stuff for me. Decided it was only fair to go and get it, but I am not really ready.

I read up on some of OrionS’ threads and decided to use his idea of putting the anemone in a cup. I put some LR pieces in the bottom. After acclimatizing in the cup, I poured the water out and then dunked her into the DT….

Not ideal. Got the LR in a bucket with a heater and AC, and tossed some dry LifeRock in with it. Not really sure how to proceed. Don’t want the BTA to sting my existing coral so I left half the tank for it if it decides to leave the cup. Definitely nervous it will go into the Nero so I’ve turned it right down.

Good news is that the tank looks very clean and very few traces of Cyano left. Going to be a nervous couple of weeks once the 25 Lagoon arrives.

Attched pic shows the anemone a few hours after adding it.
That’s an awesome BTA! Umm my suggestion would be to pick something up like this. A small magnetic nem cage.

1A48F4E0-9CC5-468C-AB6A-F017E100EAD7.png

iamacat

Higher than my pH
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hot dang you’ve got a lot happening unexpectedly. Any idea how large that nem was? I’ve had 9 moving around my tank with no issues to other corals. I think keeping it confined to rubble rock is wise since you are going to relocate it.

I think one of the best and affordable unnecessary things I have picked up is my large bin from tractor supply. Great in an emergency or to cook rocks
IMG_8914.jpeg

OP
OP
L

Lebowski_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hot dang you’ve got a lot happening unexpectedly. Any idea how large that nem was? I’ve had 9 moving around my tank with no issues to other corals. I think keeping it confined to rubble rock is wise since you are going to relocate it.

I think one of the best and affordable unnecessary things I have picked up is my large bin from tractor supply. Great in an emergency or to cook rocks
IMG_8914.jpeg

That’s a sweet idea! Might do something similar.

The nem is way bigger than I thought. I’m going to say 4-5” across it’s base. I’ll have to wait and see once it’s comfortable, hard to tell today.

I also noticed something else today, to add to the drama…looks a lot like Valonia . Looks like it hitchhiked on the coral plug. I only see a few bubbles which I will remove tomorrow but already bracing for more. I have to admit, I didn’t inspect these plugs thoroughly the day I got them at the local expo awhile back.

IMG_4307.jpeg

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 34 29.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back