Dinoflagellates - dinos a possible cure!? Follow along and see!

wyattray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I have no idea on How to attack it during the day, I definitely dont want to put any H2O2 in the tank or bleach.

Im wondering if removing the sand in areas where there is light and continuing vacuuming I can try to cut there numbers down.

Paullawr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
H202 is unlikely to fix the issue. There is the odd reported success (long term not sure on) but ultimately it's not really that effective. At least in reef safe doses.

It's not something I'd be worried about using as it works similar to ozone. Just the extra atom is in water rather than air.

I'd start by removing sand.

Sadly there is no quick fix and this stuff can make bryopsis look like child's play.

wyattray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I can reloacte my Conch and Pistol Shrimp to my sump for a few weeks and try to remove all the sand in the display it would be ideal. I am going to skip water changes, im also going to look at Silica in my water, I might get a DI that has a greater silica remover.

Paullawr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep us posted. Don't be discouraged by any failures to stop it. We have all been there.

Can i ask though you record what you do and monitor it's effectivness then report back when you have time.

You may do something that seems irrelevant only could be the key to success.

Most success has come from trial and error in this hobby and beating Dino's will be no different.

RMS18

I keep water chemistry as my hobby
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I eventually do give in and remove my fish to do the bleach treatment, how do I ensure my fish do not reinfect the tank with dinos? Will 1 week of hyposalinity kill the dinos and cysts riding on the fish?
That's what I did. Broke down my tank started all new with everything except my fish. I have dinos in my new system now. So must have brought over a egg or two. It took about 2 months for them to show but they are back.

Paullawr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if they are this hardy than why are they not in everyones tank.
It's getting that way. There's practically 150 pages here. This is just one thread amongst many.
I'd say these are becoming as common as aiptasia.

Paullawr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I did. Broke down my tank started all new with everything except my fish. I have dinos in my new system now. So must have brought over a egg or two. It took about 2 months for them to show but they are back.
Sorry to hear that. Thought you had them beat.

Paullawr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Worthwhile read.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protozoa

The bacteria consumption is interesting. I guess there is one link with ULNS as a bi-product of say pellet reactors is abundance of bacteria.

Bleach and H202 therefore may play a role by killing off bacteria.
Providing those tanks are not running pellet reactors and algae free then there may well be better long term success.

What i didn't know was at a cyst stage they can survive being dried out.

Paullawr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this has got me thinking.....

Metro has around an 86% success rate. Whilst didn't kill off completely there were clearly signs it knocked them back.

I think we need to look at a multi biotic attack with an anti algae and anti fungal treatment.

So metro + Nitazoxanide + algae + fungal remover.

This way we can target the cells and its food source.

Other drugs in the same class.

Jolanta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One person told me that he had a dino problem and cured it with isotiazoline, but he has fish only tank. It could be a good idea to try it in some test.
Im a little bit more happy every day couse its already a week with light and I cant see brown string anymore :) there are some little small spots but Im also starting to see new coraline algea :) It all died during the dino bloom and now starting to show once again so maybe finally vibrant and peroxide are doing its thing or its simply a miracle :)

Jolanta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Paullawr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you very much, Im so scared to be happy :) the last dose of vibrant I used was 20 ml, and before I was using 17 ml, maybe its also helping.
Keep going.

The brown patches. Can you lift the rock out of the aquarium and treat with pure h202 to those areas? Then after a few minutes after fizzing has stopped replace rock.

RMS18

I keep water chemistry as my hobby
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear that. Thought you had them beat.
I just started the zeovit system today. I was told by a few this system can help beat them over time. This is not the main reason why I decided to try zeovit but one of them.

It has to only be a matter of time before someone cracks a reef safe additive to kill these pests.

Jolanta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My structure I made with dry rock and foam and it would be really hard to take it out but I will try to syphon all visible spots with air tubbing once again, I hope they wont come back.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back