Dinoflagellates - dinos a possible cure!? Follow along and see!

Paullawr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just started the zeovit system today. I was told by a few this system can help beat them over time. This is not the main reason why I decided to try zeovit but one of them.

It has to only be a matter of time before someone cracks a reef safe additive to kill these pests.
Is that true, re zeovit?
Hope it's true.
Keeps us posted please.

I wouldn't with this setup be able to go with a zero reactor unless.you can get hang on....Which i doubt as you have to press down to turn the rocks. The science behind it needs.exploring though. Not that anyone madly enough understands how zeovit even works.

Scubabeth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One person told me that he had a dino problem and cured it with isotiazoline, but he has fish only tank. It could be a good idea to try it in some test.
Im a little bit more happy every day couse its already a week with light and I cant see brown string anymore :) there are some little small spots but Im also starting to see new coraline algea :) It all died during the dino bloom and now starting to show once again so maybe finally vibrant and peroxide are doing its thing or its simply a miracle :)
@Jolanta, that is AWESOME news! Our coralline began to grow rapidly in our tank after the dinos died and when Vibrant took care of the nuisance algae on the back wall of our tank. That is a very positive sign! :D

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this has got me thinking.....

Metro has around an 86% success rate. Whilst didn't kill off completely there were clearly signs it knocked them back.
Yes, I think metro is severely underrated. It might be the only chemical means we have that actually selectively hurts dinos.
The weirdest thing when I tested it was how crazy selective it was. I couldn't find a single other thing under the microscope that was hurt by metro. Ciliates, worms, algae, cyano, pods, sponges. Nothing cared.
And it reverses exponential growth and reduces dino numbers for 2-4 weeks. That's invaluable.
The limitation of it causing encystment might mean it's a great choice for our amphidinium, which is not known to create cysts.

I think we need to look at a multi biotic attack with an anti algae and anti fungal treatment.

So metro + Nitazoxanide + algae + fungal remover.

This way we can target the cells and its food source.
Disagree.
Fungal perhaps, anti-bacterial probably - dinos frequently have bacterial side kicks, but anti-algae is the wrong direction. Algae is the enemy of dinos, not directly, but multiple indirect ways.
That's the point of dirty method - favor algae.

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just started the zeovit system today. I was told by a few this system can help beat them over time. This is not the main reason why I decided to try zeovit but one of them.

The worst dino infestation I ever saw posted was a zeo system.
We'll see which way it goes for you.

Paullawr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I think metro is severely underrated. It might be the only chemical means we have that actually selectively hurts dinos.
The weirdest thing when I tested it was how crazy selective it was. I couldn't find a single other thing under the microscope that was hurt by metro. Ciliates, worms, algae, cyano, pods, sponges. Nothing cared.
And it reverses exponential growth and reduces dino numbers for 2-4 weeks. That's invaluable.
The limitation of it causing encystment might mean it's a great choice for our amphidinium, which is not known to create cysts.

Disagree.
Fungal perhaps, anti-bacterial probably - dinos frequently have bacterial side kicks, but anti-algae is the wrong direction. Algae is the enemy of dinos, not directly, but multiple indirect ways.
That's the point of dirty method - favor algae.
Disagree, algae is also consumed by dinoflagellates.

Paullawr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Disagree, algae is also consumed by dinoflagellates.
Dinoflagellates consume - bacteria, fungi, algae and consume nutrients either via mouth or osmosis.

Remember they are the next jump from algae in the food chain.

You maybe coming from the approach that multiple strains of algae out compete, by aleopothy yet there has been nothing conclusive. Most people with dinoflagellates have algae.

Paullawr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The combined approach of medication is to attack the cells, prevent or impair cysts, reproduction and remove food source.

Paullawr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Metro is selective as it's designed to target protozoa. The problem is, it's the least effective. I.have at a guess.its.hard to prescribe the other medications for general sale. Despite having over a 99% success rate.

RMS18

I keep water chemistry as my hobby
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Metro is selective as it's designed to target protozoa. The problem is, it's the least effective. I.have at a guess.its.hard to prescribe the other medications for general sale. Despite having over a 99% success rate.
What medications have a 99% success rate?

Paullawr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good question.

86% success was based on trials (humans)

99% also is against the same protozoa (humans).

I'd like to think the success seen from metro could be far bettered.

There's.a number of drugs but look into Nitazoxanide

Isomorphic85

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
jumping into this thread...

have a 150 that I tore down due to dinos... got rid of sand.... bleached all rock for 48 hours in super concentrated bleach... filled tank with fresh rodi and bleached main tank and all components... cleaned everything in bleach .

Rinsed rock in rodi for 72 hours ... let dry for 48 hours

added new sand... added rock back in .... filled with freshly made rodi salt water. let run for a week... dosed prime... added bio spira then 5 fish back into tank..

fast forward 2 weeks.... brown on sand and rock work.. initially thought it was diatom bloom.. but it looks indentical to strands of algae growing in the past that turned out to be dinos....

how the heck do I have this again already? what steps should I be taking?

I also had been dosing vibrant every 3 days for 4 months.... it had no effect on the dinos that i was battling.

I have no idea what to do at this point... any suggestions much appreciated.

currently no coral in tank , just fish.

RMS18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
jumping into this thread...

have a 150 that I tore down due to dinos... got rid of sand.... bleached all rock for 48 hours in super concentrated bleach... filled tank with fresh rodi and bleached main tank and all components... cleaned everything in bleach .

Rinsed rock in rodi for 72 hours ... let dry for 48 hours

added new sand... added rock back in .... filled with freshly made rodi salt water. let run for a week... dosed prime... added bio spira then 5 fish back into tank..

fast forward 2 weeks.... brown on sand and rock work.. initially thought it was diatom bloom.. but it looks indentical to strands of algae growing in the past that turned out to be dinos....

how the heck do I have this again already? what steps should I be taking?

I also had been dosing vibrant every 3 days for 4 months.... it had no effect on the dinos that i was battling.

I have no idea what to do at this point... any suggestions much appreciated.

currently no coral in tank , just fish.
Same way it happend to me again. The fish. I broke down a tank. Started up a larger tank all new equipment nothing came from my old tank not even corals. Just my 6 fish.. 2 months later about dinos popped up.

I did beat them in my last tank, I did still have them but you wouldn't have known. I probably spent over $300 between all the bacterias, pods, new sand, Metro, h202, purigen, gfo etc. At some point I reached a balance in my system.

Jolanta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jolanta, that is AWESOME news! Our coralline began to grow rapidly in our tank after the dinos died and when Vibrant took care of the nuisance algae on the back wall of our tank. That is a very positive sign! :D
Im really happy for now :) I think there is something good happening that coraline algea is back, I still cant see any ostreopsis ovata in the samples, only the round ones but only a few and not moving much. I have hope again :)

Isomorphic85

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same way it happend to me again. The fish. I broke down a tank. Started up a larger tank all new equipment nothing came from my old tank not even corals. Just my 6 fish.. 2 months later about dinos popped up.

I did beat them in my last tank, I did still have them but you wouldn't have known. I probably spent over $300 between all the bacterias, pods, new sand, Metro, h202, purigen, gfo etc. At some point I reached a balance in my system.

what methods did you go when you had them the second go around? trying to figure out how I should attack this before it gets bad. I just have the thin algae looking strands at this point but it's exactly what it looked like right before it went real bad... I just dosed vibrant again today... but this didn't have any result for me last time but for lack of knowing what the heck else to try I decided to hit it with vibrant to see if it would have any better effect being it's in the early stages.

RMS18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what methods did you go when you had them the second go around? trying to figure out how I should attack this before it gets bad. I just have the thin algae looking strands at this point but it's exactly what it looked like right before it went real bad... I just dosed vibrant again today... but this didn't have any result for me last time but for lack of knowing what the heck else to try I decided to hit it with vibrant to see if it would have any better effect being it's in the early stages.
It was a combo of Purgen, gfo, Dr tims live bacteria, mb7 bacteria, thousands of pods, H202, and metro. Kept po4 to .04-.08 and nitrates under 5ppm. I also stopped dosing any amino acids as they would bring out dinos like crazy. Rinsed all frozen foods. Fed no dry foods like pellets or flakes. I also vacuumed the sand bed every day I saw a spot pop up I would take that sand out. With in 2 weeks I had no sand bed left. Then I added in dry sand. I repeated this over 4 months about. Then they stopped showing completely.

Isomorphic85

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was a combo of Purgen, gfo, Dr tims live bacteria, mb7 bacteria, thousands of pods, H202, and metro. Kept po4 to .04-.08 and nitrates under 5ppm. I also stopped dosing any amino acids as they would bring out dinos like crazy. Rinsed all frozen foods. Fed no dry foods like pellets or flakes. I also vacuumed the sand bed every day I saw a spot pop up I would take that sand out. With in 2 weeks I had no sand bed left. Then I added in dry sand. I repeated this over 4 months about. Then they stopped showing completely.

wow... were you able to see a couple aspects being more beneficial then others of the methods you were performing? just wondering what the really important factors were that gave you results if possible to narrow it down.

Isomorphic85

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

when you vaccumed the sand were you siphoning down into a filter sock or disgarding siphoned water

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 14 32.6%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 20.9%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 3 7.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 11.6%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 11 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.3%
Back