Dinoflagellates - dinos a possible cure!? Follow along and see!

joshkirkland83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Paullawr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're saying, microscrubbing works. How long? And what time of the light cycle would you begin?
Microscrubbing alone, I'd have my doubts. I wish it were that simple
Still there are people that advocate the use and i know there's a long list of threads reported it works. I've just not seen any hard evidence to suggest so.

The theory is to lift the cells upwards and export via skimming and heavy filtration.

The scientific approach listed earlier was the use of basically bleach (sodium hypochlorite) with air flotation (our version of microscrubbing). Whilst their test kit was obviously far more industrial the results were very positive.

I thought it worth mentioning as i don't believe the use of bleach alone is as effective as people once considered. I also found it interesting that the scientific community are dabbling in the same areas of research as on here.

The fact is, removing them from an established aquarium is very difficult to do, time consuming, disheartening and ultimately most are toxic to us let alone the snails.

Even the success stories you hear about are not long term successes. So many clean aquariums suddenly become repopulated. It could be from another source or simply a few cells were missed to re-infest.

At this stage I feel it just worth brain storming ideas.

RMS18

I keep water chemistry as my hobby
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still there are people that advocate the use and i know there's a long list of threads reported it works. I've just not seen any hard evidence to suggest so.

The theory is to lift the cells upwards and export via skimming and heavy filtration.

The scientific approach listed earlier was the use of basically bleach (sodium hypochlorite) with air flotation (our version of microscrubbing). Whilst their test kit was obviously far more industrial the results were very positive.

I thought it worth mentioning as i don't believe the use of bleach alone is as effective as people once considered. I also found it interesting that the scientific community are dabbling in the same areas of research as on here.

The fact is, removing them from an established aquarium is very difficult to do, time consuming, disheartening and ultimately most are toxic to us let alone the snails.

Even the success stories you hear about are not long term successes. So many clean aquariums suddenly become repopulated. It could be from another source or simply a few cells were missed to re-infest.

Rubbing alcohol?

mandrieu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dino x made a mess of my tank. In two different tanks two different bottles.

It also created illuminious green hair algae. Which is great! It looked like the hair of one of those trolls.
Yeah, Dino-X didn't work for me either unfortunately. Neither did Vibrant (this took care of a few hair and bubble algae I had at that time though)

RMS18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Isopropanol has a high concentration of ethenol. May get used as a carbon source like vodka. Still worth a controlled test in a vial. Don't want to discount anything.
I saw a bottle sitting in my closet while I was searching for h202 for a frag dip. Thought hmmm.
[emoji38]

mandrieu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Paullawr all good. I think we're close. It sounds crazy now, but I feel like collectively we know enough that these threads will be very different in a year. They'll just be giving answers, not asking questions.
We have enough reports of success (and failure), that we can assemble the info into answers - if we just take a critical look and interrogate people's reports.
Unfortunately I don't agree with your assessment. Finding a targeted (so we don't kill everything in the tank) cure or procedure for this requires a much more scientific approach than what we (hobbyists) can do. I share the hope, of course, of getting rid of them by doing something and anything

RMS18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When was the last time someone tried raising ph to the 8.5-8.7 range to fight dinos? Most of the threads I find are years old. Maybe a high ph, with some h202 and blackout period needs to be tested.
I personally think the solution with be a combination. I do not think we will have a miracle in a bottle unless NASA gets involved. With that said anyone have some hook ups with NASA? [emoji3]

mandrieu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Totally agree. This is not like fighting other pests we get in the tank, like algae, diatoms and things like that. This is more like, or should be considered like a disease. Tough. But we have no option but to keep trying

mandrieu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When was the last time someone tried raising ph to the 8.5-8.7 range to fight dinos? Most of the threads I find are years old. Maybe a high ph, with some h202 and blackout period needs to be tested.
I personally think the solution with be a combination. I do not think we will have a miracle in a bottle unless NASA gets involved. With that said anyone have some hook ups with NASA? [emoji3]
I tried a couple of months ago. No success

RMS18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried a couple of months ago. No success
What kind of dinos do you have? We're they just on the sand? Did they create the long strings? Growing over corals?

This seems to also be a factor we have to keep in mind. Not everyone has the same dinos in their system. Personally mine only grow on the sand and do not create the long snotty strings. They have more of a "carpet" look.

Paullawr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took my pH to 10 it worked by killing millions. But they came back.

One thing I'd like to see being tested is the sterilising tablets you use to make beer and wine with. They are good safe but are a strong steriliser. I have some happy to post to someone who wants to test them.

mandrieu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of dinos do you have? We're they just on the sand? Did they create the long strings? Growing over corals?

This seems to also be a factor we have to keep in mind. Not everyone has the same dinos in their system. Personally mine only grow on the sand and do not create the long snotty strings. They have more of a "carpet" look.
Same as you. Mostly in the sand, without snotty strings. I've been in the hobby for about 10 year and I've been fighting this suckers for close to 3 years, with a complete tank reset in the middle. I believe I've tried everything you can find here and the entire Internet with the exception of the microbubles thing and taking all the sand out (hich is what I'm in the process of doing now - started yesterdab but I have a 125 Gallon so it'll take me a few weekends I think)

RMS18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took my pH to 10 it worked by killing millions. But they came back.

One thing I'd like to see being tested is the sterilising tablets you use to make beer and wine with. They are good safe but are a strong steriliser. I have some happy to post to someone who wants to test them.
For me my fish are most important. I could nuke my few corals I have in my new system and not care much. But my fish are extremely important.

What info do we have with these tablets and fish? Also sensitive fish like wrasses.

mandrieu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing I'd like to see being tested is the sterilising tablets you use to make beer and wine with. They are good safe but are a strong steriliser
I thought about this. And tablets to make drinking water. But dumping one of those tablets in my tank freaks me out, honestly.

RMS18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same as you. Mostly in the sand, without snotty strings. I've been in the hobby for about 10 year and I've been fighting this suckers for close to 3 years, with a complete tank reset in the middle. I believe I've tried everything you can find here and the entire Internet with the exception of the microbubles thing and taking all the sand out (hich is what I'm in the process of doing now - started yesterdab but I have a 125 Gallon so it'll take me a few weekends I think)
Ok. I have taken my sand out. Did it over a process of a 2 weeks. Added new dry sand and things were good for a week or so then some patches started to pop up again.

mandrieu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. I have taken my sand out. Did it over a process of a 2 weeks. Added new dry sand and things were good for a week or so then some patches started to pop up again.
Yeah, no, I think we need to take the sand out and stay bare bottom for a while (probably months), just to have a hope something else we do works with the dinos and their cysts

Paullawr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Id of left sand a while. Several months.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 45.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 9 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 14 31.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.3%
Back