Dinoflagellates - dinos a possible cure!? Follow along and see!

bevo5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
My dinos just laughed at a 3day blackout.

That after they got done laughing at a 7 day peroxide treatment.

Does anyone have a good bleach formula? I can't find exacts but I'm thinking about giving it a shot.

Paullawr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My dinos just laughed at a 3day blackout.

That after they got done laughing at a 7 day peroxide treatment.

Does anyone have a good bleach formula? I can't find exacts but I'm thinking about giving it a shot.
Read from around page 75. If you do this' get rid of all sand (for a few months at least) if you have any. The cysts will remain in the sandbed largely out of harm's way.

I'd also look at microscrubbing with good filtration. if you have a spare skimmer stick it on. Canister filter with lots of floss, change daily. First day change out twice.

Anything to cause flow, uplift and export basically. Turn a powerhead on to the rocks and tank floor. Make sure the debris are lifting out in to the water column.

Don't be afraid to put you gloves on and scrub glass inside. Pay attention to corners, silicon areas, shaded areas beneath pumps.

Don't use h202, UV or ozone whilst bleach dosing. They will neutralise it. Which is handy to know if you want to make sure it's burnt off. ;)

mandrieu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Read from around page 75. If you do this' get rid of all sand (for a few months at least) if you have any. The cysts will remain in the sandbed largely out of harm's way.

I'd also look at microscrubbing with good filtration. if you have a spare skimmer stick it on. Canister filter with lots of floss, change daily. First day change out twice.

Anything to cause flow, uplift and export basically. Turn a powerhead on to the rocks and tank floor. Make sure the debris are lifting out in to the water column.

Don't be afraid to put you gloves on and scrub glass inside. Pay attention to corners, silicon areas, shaded areas beneath pumps.

Don't use h202, UV or ozone whilst bleach dosing. They will neutralise it. Which is handy to know if you want to make sure it's burnt off. ;)
@bevo5: and move the fish out of the tank!!! - there's no completely safe bleach level... I killed half of my fish at less than what we thought was safe. Corals and inverts, just watch them and act accordingly.

And as @Paullawr says, remove the sand. I didn't and no matter how much bleach I dosed and for how long, it just didn't work

RMS18

I keep water chemistry as my hobby
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I removed my sand the dinos started to grow on the rocks. My purple rocks turned brown.

RMS18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sucks. I'm in the process of removing the sand. Honestly, nothing surprises me about this monsters anymore. We need an exorcist!
Lol. Yea with sand in they only stated on the sand.
I want to try those sterlization tablets but I want to know if they kill them under the scope.

Paullawr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well i had them on sand to begin with before moving to everything from overflow to pumps.
Im pretty sure they would make the jump to the rock work.

Heres a fun video so when next on holiday can remind yourself not to dip feet in rock pools. I always thought the brown bits were sediment. Huh ho...

RMS18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We need to get bulkreefsupply involved. They need to investigate dinoflagellates.

mandrieu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We need to get bulkreefsupply involved. They need to investigate dinoflagellates.
I doubt BRS can help much. They know a lot and are a great retailer for our hobby, but this is a very different thing than dealing with algae or diatoms. It's like a disease, so you need some kind of "medicine" or drug that kills the bug without killing everything else. Many things we've been trying, like H2O2, bleach and things like that could potentially kill it if you hit it with high enough concentration, but everything else dies too (corals, bacteria, fish, everything). Most everything else, UV, blackouts, Vibrant, Dino-X, high PH, whatever, work for 1, don't work for 100. It seems as if the ones that succeed are just lucky.
Despite our continuous efforts, this belongs to the domain of laboratories, pharmaceutical research, kind of thing, unfortunately. This thread is more than 3,000 posts by now, and there is a similar one in reef central. Except for really cool bug pictures, there is little real results I can see so far. Of course, if we keep trying crazy things, maybe (I hope) we get lucky and find the solution.

RMS18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just ordered purification tablets. They will be here Thursday. Any ideas on what chlorine dioxide will do to fish? Again my corals I don't care much about.

buckroe07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are these dinos? They are stringy and web-like and blow off the rocks lime dust and it comes back within an hours.

20170328_165516.jpg

20170328_165347.jpg

mandrieu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just ordered purification tablets. They will be here Thursday. Any ideas on what chlorine dioxide will do to fish? Again my corals I don't care much about.
No idea. I would strongly recommend moving fish out of the tank, just in case. I've been thinking about testing this myself but after killing half of my fish with bleach I haven't had the courage to do it

RMS18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No idea. I would strongly recommend moving fish out of the tank, just in case. I've been thinking about testing this myself but after killing half of my fish with bleach I haven't had the courage to do it
1 tablet treats 1 liter of water. There are only 20 tablets in a box and I have 50 gallons so that's 189 liters. I am going to test it out before I spend $80 to treat the tank. If it kills dinos in a external test then we can look further into its effects on fish/corals etc.

mandrieu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 tablet treats 1 liter of water. There are only 20 tablets in a box and I have 50 gallons so that's 189 liters. I am going to test it out before I spend $80 to treat the tank. If it kills dinos in a external test then we can look further into its effects on fish/corals etc.
That sounds like a smart move

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to try those sterlization tablets but I want to know if they kill them under the scope.
What it looks like under the scope can be deceiving, and bunches of things kill dinos in a tiny controlled setup like that.
You can kill dinos under the scope with a couple of drops of:
Bleach, peroxide, vibrant, fresh water, miracle grow, vinegar, ammonia etc....
Of those, bleach looks the least impressive, but is the deadliest, and fresh water looks the most devastating, but is the least helpful in a real tank.

I'm confident a sterilizer tablet will kill them, but it just sounds like another tank nuke to me. Maybe I'm missing the point.

RMS18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What it looks like under the scope can be deceiving, and bunches of things kill dinos in a tiny controlled setup like that.
You can kill dinos under the scope with a couple of drops of:
Bleach, peroxide, vibrant, fresh water, miracle grow, vinegar, ammonia etc....
Of those, bleach looks the least impressive, but is the deadliest, and fresh water looks the most devastating, but is the least helpful in a real tank.

I'm confident a sterilizer tablet will kill them, but it just sounds like another tank nuke to me. Maybe I'm missing the point.

Could be, could not be. Here we are 300 pages and 90% of the posts are just words. No one is actually doing anything. I do not have a scope, I'll be looking for that wonderful brown slime on the sand in the external container. If it's gone then these tabs need some more conversation if not well I'll have some extra sterlization tabs to bring with me on the hiking trips that I do not go on.

Jolanta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My microscope results from today, I search for brown stuff on my rocks and take a sample, there are still some brown stains on the rocks but its not forming strings like before and my rock look more purple every day becouse of coraline but still can see dinos under the microscope, only dont know what kind, they dont move anymore, I hope they are not ostreopsis cysts.
Here some videos, sorry for a bad quality.

What do you think?

mandrieu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be, could not be. Here we are 300 pages and 90% of the posts are just words. No one is actually doing anything. I do not have a scope, I'll be looking for that wonderful brown slime on the sand in the external container. If it's gone then these tabs need some more conversation if not well I'll have some extra sterlization tabs to bring with me on the hiking trips that I do not go on.
Yes, I hear you. At least this is something new. I'm tired of running in circles too

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back