Dinoflagellates - dinos a possible cure!? Follow along and see!

Discussion in 'Nuisance Algae (including bacteria)' started by twilliard, Jun 19, 2016.

1. mandrieu

mandrieu Active Member

Yeah, it may take some time to get those numbers up. In my case I had to dose NO3 (which was zero) a bit just for a couple of days, then suddenly NO3 went sky high to >25 ppm and stayed there. With phosphates though, I had zero, and after more than 2 weeks of dosing, I still can't get readings. I get a random read of 0.02/0.03 once every few days but then it goes back to zero right away (in a matter of hours!). Go figure. Maybe I'll have to finally throw a hot dog or a big mac in my tank and see how it likes it! Maybe I'll get some readings that way - LOL

Paullawr and pboutin like this.

2. pboutin

pboutin Active Member CTARS Member

I'm not so sure... I can certainly send you some if you like to scope it. I don't have a scope unfortunately.

3. pboutin

How's the Vibrant treatment working out?

4. mcarroll

mcarroll PM me R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award

No need...that's chrysophyes for sure. :)

You can imagine them as a blend of a dino and a diatom.

I'd suggest taking skipping the rest of this dino thread and either starting your own tank thread, finding a chrysophyte thread or using the potassium nitrate thread:

A generous R2R member by the tag @morpheas created a sweet KNO3 calculator that's a little buried in the thread, but you can start reading about here (there's an excel version and a Google Docs version linked later in the thread):

Thankfully he also wrote a really nice article for my blog as well:
    A Nitrate Dosing Calculator For Better Tank Health (And Better Coral Color!)

Look out for a PM as well....

pboutin likes this.
  5. pboutin

So is this better or worse than Dinos?

6. pboutin

For those following me on this here is my new thread https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/chrysophytes-battle.305920/

mandrieu and Jolanta like this.
  7. Paullawr

Paullawr Valuable Member

It did what it said on the bottle. Sorted the diatom bloom out.

Will see how my pet patch is doing probably the weekend. I need to be home during day to see if they are doing anything.

pboutin likes this.
  8. Paullawr

Paullawr Valuable Member

Don't lose heart. This was always expected to happen.
    Metro was only to hold them back enough to keep tank mostly clear whilst filter arrived.

You could always do another 14 day dose whilst running filter if things get bad.

Could you set diatom filter to run on a timer at night.

Petty you cannot run all night.

How about run it for an hour then off for 30 minutes to cool. Hell direct a fan at it. Then back on for hour.

Sorry that's probably a silly idea....

Ideally you want it going when free swimming.

You may never get rid of them fully with these methods but you might be able to keep them in check.

Still keep at it.

Jolanta likes this.
  9. Jolanta

Jolanta Active Member

Its not possible to run it on timer couse when you turn it off and then on all the diatom earth powder will go into your tank, you need to make some dificult procedure to make it start and ones you turn it off you need to start the procedure once again :) So my only option is to use it everyday and suck what I can with it, there is really only few strings but Im scared it will go so bad like before the blackout :(

Paullawr likes this.
  10. celebrityovernight

celebrityovernight Active Member

Has anyone had luck with doubling or tripling the dosage for peroxide? I noticed that when I was dosing 1ml per 10gal, it had 0 effect, but when I upped it to 2-3ml per gallon 2-3 times daily. It really reduced the dinos.

11. Paullawr

Paullawr Valuable Member

Well hopefully with routine maintenance of tank and filter you can keep it in check.

12. Paullawr

Paullawr Valuable Member

I found it started to work then seemed to be less and less effective as time went on.

At one point I dosed around half a percent of the total tank volume.

Whether they had become more resistant or staying in a cyst for longer before then re-emerging I don't know.

The problem with h202 is that it oxides anything it comes in contact with. It the only carbon source was Dino's would be a lot more effective.

One idea I had toyed with was using ozone past 550mv/600mv. I never did though (probably a good thing).

Still in an empty tank environment.ie if planning a reboot then it would be interesting to hear if that kills them off. Technically it should be lethal.

13. celebrityovernight

celebrityovernight Active Member

Man.... I hope mine doesn't come back .... it's been 2 days since I've seen any signs. Before I was heavily infested.

14. Paullawr

Paullawr Valuable Member

Always hope.

I found a small patch on glass oddly enough that each time I scraped it clear it would reform a few hours later. It was white as if dead - but wasn't. Following a few days of this it went full on and retook over.

15. bevo5

bevo5 Active Member

Well guys - I have some findings to offer up that aren't great.

I recently decided to take my tank down and move over to Malawi Cichlids. I didn't have a huge dinos issue, but I verified some pockets of algae were dinos with my microscope.

Well - as part of my take down process, I dumped a half bottle of bleach in my tank (200g system). First of all - crazy apocalypse of bristle worms I didn't know I had. I removed everything else but the sand (snails etc), but I guess these guys were just chilling. Not anymore.

The unfortunate part - the next day I ran my light cycle the same and boom - same small patches of dinos.

Very tough little suckers.

drawman likes this.
  16. mandrieu

mandrieu Active Member

Yeah, I tried. No luck. It reduced them initially but never killed them. There's a point where you kill quite a bit of good bacteria too, so you want to be careful about how far you go

17. mandrieu

mandrieu Active Member

Same thing happened to me. Not in days, but a few months later they were back. And here I am...

18. ajm83

ajm83 Active Member UK Reef Club Member

It took a year but they're gone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! There is hope guys. Don't give in to the little blighters. I very nearly chucked in the towel so many times.

Looking back through my notes, I don't think I can give any useful advice unfortunately. It's been all over the shop TBH.

However I would say that Dino X has worked several times to completely knock them back. Likewise blackouts. In the last few weeks it's been a combination of these things plus ensuring phosphate was over 0 and nitrate over 1.

I have no doubt they will be back at some point down the line, but at least I know they can be tackled now.

I believe I introduced my first batch on a frag plug. EVERYTHING going into my tank gets quarantined now.

Jolanta and aabjones888 like this.
  19. puffy127

puffy127 Well-Known Member

So how will you qt to prevent introduction of dinos?

20. rockskimmerflow

rockskimmerflow Well-Known Member

Might work depending on your species. I've only dealt with O. ovata and I can confirm that method didn't work on them for me. And I went way overboard on the peroxide dosage. When I was first figuring out how to beat them I tested the hydrogen peroxide method. I ramped up dosages with no success and finally tried 8ml/gal in one shot. All I did was RTN a couple colonies in the tank. Dino barely took a hit for 2 days before bouncing right back.

mandrieu and Jolanta like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted