Dinoflagellates - dinos a possible cure!? Follow along and see!

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well - as part of my take down process, I dumped a half bottle of bleach in my tank[...]
the next day I ran my light cycle the same and boom - same small patches of dinos.

Very tough little suckers.

You don't go to war against a superior opponent. I'm sure that's in one of those Art of War manuals. ;)

<tangent alert>

Let's see....Sun Tzu at WikiQuotes...gotta be something good in there for battling tough algae! :)
(Bear with me here....there are always paralells!)

1.2 Chapter II · Waging War
  • 故兵貴勝,不貴久。
    • What is essential in war is victory, not prolonged operations.
  • 兵久而国利者,未之有也。
    • There is no instance of a nation benefitting from prolonged warfare.

1.3 Chapter III · Strategic Attack
  • 知彼知己,百戰不殆;不知彼而知己,一勝一負;不知彼,不知己,每戰必殆
    • It is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you will not be imperiled in a hundred battles; if you do not know your enemies but do know yourself, you will win one and lose one; if you do not know your enemies nor yourself, you will be imperiled in every single battle.
  • 是故百戰百勝,非善之善者也;不戰而屈人之兵,善之善者也。
    • For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill.

1.9 Chapter IX · Movement and Development of Troops
  • 数赏者,窘也;数罚者,困也;
    • Too frequent rewards indicate that the general is at the end of his resources; too frequent punishments that he is in acute distress.

1.10 Chapter X · Terrain
  • 故戰道必勝,主曰無戰,必戰可也;戰道不勝,主曰必戰,无戰可也;
    • If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight, even though the ruler forbid it; if fighting will not result in victory, then you must not fight even at the ruler's bidding.

Jolanta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might work depending on your species. I've only dealt with O. ovata and I can confirm that method didn't work on them for me. And I went way overboard on the peroxide dosage. When I was first figuring out how to beat them I tested the hydrogen peroxide method. I ramped up dosages with no success and finally tried 8ml/gal in one shot. All I did was RTN a couple colonies in the tank. Dino barely took a hit for 2 days before bouncing right back.
Yes I feel your pain, Im in the same boat :( Today my tank looked really much worst, I came back home from work a little tired so I didnt use my diatom filter but Im really amazed how two days can change the way my tank looks :( its almost like the diatom filter would make it worst suddenly but I know this should be coincidence

ajm83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So how will you qt to prevent introduction of dinos?

Well the plan is that any coral, invert, fish or anything else being added to the tank spends a month or two in my QT for observation.

So far I'm thinking (over the course of the month)
  • Frag plugs are removed and replaced with new before adding to the QT.
  • Corals are dipped in dettol, TLF Revive, iodine and where appropriate (zoas) freshwater.
  • Fish receive a 1 hour dip in paraguard, a 5 min dip in FW and a few days in copper (cupramine).
  • Invert's shells are scrubbed in old salt water with a toothbrush.
  • Regular full water changes. Bare bottom tank, regular inspection and removal of any algae that appears. Nutrients kept 100% consistent and relatively high.

Inbetween uses the QT will be fully dried out, cleaned with vinegar, peroxide, etc then left full of RO.

If anybody has any other suggestions for quarantine procedures specifically for dinos I'm all ears :)

Paullawr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the plan is that any coral, invert, fish or anything else being added to the tank spends a month or two in my QT for observation.

So far I'm thinking (over the course of the month)
  • Frag plugs are removed and replaced with new before adding to the QT.
  • Corals are dipped in dettol, TLF Revive, iodine and where appropriate (zoas) freshwater.
  • Fish receive a 1 hour dip in paraguard, a 5 min dip in FW and a few days in copper (cupramine).
  • Invert's shells are scrubbed in old salt water with a toothbrush.
  • Regular full water changes. Bare bottom tank, regular inspection and removal of any algae that appears. Nutrients kept 100% consistent and relatively high.

Inbetween uses the QT will be fully dried out, cleaned with vinegar, peroxide, etc then left full of RO.

If anybody has any other suggestions for quarantine procedures specifically for dinos I'm all ears :)
I know one user was experimenting with bleach dips. Did not follow for long enough to see extended results.

It worked on their strain for the time I was following with no detrimental effects to corals.

I tried a three dip preventative including fw on acros. I still got them.

Good luck

domination2580

Reef-a-nator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know one user was experimenting with bleach dips. Did not follow for long enough to see extended results.

It worked on their strain for the time I was following with no detrimental effects to corals.

I tried a three dip preventative including fw on acros. I still got them.

Good luck
I had osteoporosis, and the bleach dip did work. I'm completely dino free...after introducing new coral and old coral to the tank that was dino infested. The bleach had minimal effects if any at all.

ajm83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, what is it? are they gone or you haven't see them for a few days?

Approx 6 weeks, I've been checking various areas in the tank most days with a microscope. My kids been ill and i lost some tank data so I'm not sure on the exact time frame.

Edit: april 7th was the last time i found any moving

Last edited:

Jolanta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My update is my scrubber started to have a lot of ciano
162db5482650fbd2f49df0546e283809.jpg

I cleaned it and left green only. My sump is really a ciano mess [emoji1]
870c951b178b6906e800c55b78833922.jpg

But the good think is they overgrowed the dinos completly , I dont see any dinos in my sump.
I observed yesterday that it was a small patch with out ciano, as if something has eaten it and today the patch is bigger
bda45c47331a93d41d99ef7cdf898c75.jpg
and showing some green on so maybe my ciano is receding. My dinos in a DT didnt get any worsth from yesterday but once again I returned from work a little late and tired so I think I will wait with diatom filter till tomorrow. I really feel good I have something now that actually can remove dinos from my water with out liberate all the toxins to the tank like uv does and I dont need to feel sorry for my fish to swimm in toxic dino soup :)

Paullawr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You lot would be bored without Dino's.

No reason to come here and chat, spend money on new treatments, take hours blasting rocks to repeat an hour later, and replace filter media....

What would you do with your free time...?

Jolanta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

No reason to come here and chat, spend money on new treatments, take hours blasting rocks to repeat an hour later, and replace filter media....

You are right :) Having dinos you never bored with your tank (like only looking at it) and you can make good firends here, so having dinos is a blessing ;)

celebrityovernight

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Haha it's funny this hobby is suppose to help you relax.... I don't think anyone relaxed with dinos

mandrieu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you guys think bleach kills ich? my tank is fallow right now so i could up the dose
If you have no fish in the tank, the only thing you need to do to kill ich is to leave it alone for 3 or 4 weeks, 5 if you want to be extra sure. With no fish as potential hosts, ich dies in that period of time

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jolanta, you can probably use a little less powder, maybe 2 cups as it looks a little thick in your picture. It won't hurt to use more but it will clog faster and may cause your motor to get hotter as it is harder to push water through it. You can also use that powder for a couple of days as long as you start it correctly. I wouldn't leave it in the pump for more than a day because all that stuff you pulled out will start in rot in there.
You can feel good knowing you are not adding or removing any chemicals to your tank as I feel that is "never" the right thing to do. Seawater has enough chemicals in it and anything else you add will just screw it up and cause side effects. A diatom filter goes to the root of the problem and removes it along with all the nutrients that the dino's absorbed.
I need to use my filter soon as I don't remember using it for over a year.
Put a fan on yours if you can to cool it off.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 29.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back