Dinoflagellates - dinos a possible cure!? Follow along and see!

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To truly fix the the dino problem you have to understand how Dino thrive. A nutrient limited system or uln system. To fix the Dino problem you have to fix the problem. That starts at the bottom of the and work your way up.

FFJB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand this. I kill what I can with bleach...I don't know if that [emoji817] kill or what....I also increase pods, good bacteria, and nutrients....also a good cuc is important

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keeping po4 and No3 at proper numbers helps a lot. Dino can release toxins to kill off competitors and kill live stock. If ur dealing with Dino always run activated granulated carbon.

Richards_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bleach is very hard on your fish. Some fish can't take it. Only do bleach as a last resort and if possible remove them before bleach treatment. For me I used 1ml per actual 20 gallon system volume. I did 2 doses 12 hours apart with the skimmer off for the first 3 hours. The system will smell of chlorine for at least 6 hours. Using the protein skimmer will help remove the chlorine. If you are not satisfied that the chlorine is out of the system then you can do a small dose h202 or chlorine remover to help whatever is left over, however I don't believe h202 is needed. If you chose to do this method expect a total loss of your nitrifying bacteria.

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also when you put the fish back, you’ll transport the Dino back into the tank

FFJB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bleach is very hard on your fish. Some fish can't take it. Only do bleach as a last resort and if possible remove them before bleach treatment. For me I used 1ml per actual 20 gallon system volume. I did 2 doses 12 hours apart with the skimmer off for the first 3 hours. The system will smell of chlorine for at least 6 hours. Using the protein skimmer will help remove the chlorine. If you are not satisfied that the chlorine is out of the system then you can do a small dose h202 or chlorine remover to help whatever is left over, however I don't believe h202 is needed. If you chose to do this method expect a total loss of your nitrifying bacteria.
I've read in this and another thread that the good bacteria didn't die....I am unsure if that is true or at what level is the die off...I also never turned off my skimmer..I did turn off my carbon reactor. No fish ever died in my tank due to bleach dose.

Jolanta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A youtuber from Spain found the cure for ostreopsis

I hope it works, it would be the end of our reef cancer. What do you think?

Jolanta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I forgat you dont understand spanish, he used red cyano rx product and it cleared its ostreopsis problem in 48 hrs, I didnt try it, I dont recomend it, I only share with you :)

bh750

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I read in another thread someone referenced Twilliards bleach method here. I thought it was found not to work or be effective? I've read Todd's last post here in early 2017 and the ones before and didnt see anything about it not working. Can someone summarize how things ended up here?

FFJB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I read in another thread someone referenced Twilliards bleach method here. I thought it was found not to work or be effective? I've read Todd's last post here in early 2017 and the ones before and didnt see anything about it not working. Can someone summarize how things ended up here?
I believe if nothing else is working what do you have to lose......it's my go to method now.alomg with increase bacteria and pods and nutrients . But for those who haven't tried it, I understand the hesitation

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dino are in most if not all tanks. They come in on fish inverts and coral. Understanding there life cycle is important and how they become a plague. This is a dead thread go to mcarrol post on dino.

Richards_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
U
I gave an update on what worked for me

Richards_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've read in this and another thread that the good bacteria didn't die....I am unsure if that is true or at what level is the die off...I also never turned off my skimmer..I did turn off my carbon reactor. No fish ever died in my tank due to bleach dose.
No fish died for me either. My wrass was the only one to show any signs of stress at all. I hated resorting to it, but nothing else worked for me.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're just looking for a reason to put weird things in your tank, then proceed with this. Taking these commentors at their word, that places the success rate for this around 5%. Doing nothing has about the same success rate. :)

If you'd like NOT to put weird things in your tank, then check out:
Dinoflagellates – Are You Tired Of Battling Altogether?

Folks are "curing" their tanks about every day there. Lots of resources on the first post...at least read through that. :)

silvernblackr35

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I battled with it off and on since moving my tank last September (replaced sandbed), never really had a horrible infestation but they did love my frag rack and would smother any corals I put on there as well as some bare spots on rock. Never did an id for what species it was but I have been dino free for 2 months after taking my refugium down and adding a bag of purigen to my sump. I tried blackouts, dosing phosphate, siphoning, halting wc, and raising ph with kalk, they would always linger. They went invisible after about 6 days of adding the purigen, I was only using rox carbon before. After taking my refugium down I didn't notice them spread but they still lingered, not sure if it just took a while for nutrients to rise or the purigen pulled something out of the water immediately that they were using.

JonasRoman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My own Journey with dino stopped when I started to have a very stable dKH and also not too high dKH. As carbonates are CO2 equivalents I noticed that sometimes when I raised KH of some reason, Dino come back in my tank. But maybe the stability of dKH was the major reason in my case that Dino disappeared because that gave an overal increasing health of beneficial microorganisms. Well this is my theory. I have no heavy evidence more than my observations.
I also noticed an overal better looking sandbed when my Valencienna puellearis died. I think that both such fishes and also maybe nassarius will damage the sand bed by removing so many beneficial small animals leading to unbalance in sand bed and thus even more chance for Dino to take over.

Jonas

gguertin145

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wondering if someone could help me with an id... I have never used a microscope before but this is what I have gotten

IMG_6964.jpg

IMG_6963.jpg

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wondering if someone could help me with an id... I have never used a microscope before but this is what I have gotten
Is there movement?
If there is no movement, then this tiny circles embedded in mucus looks like probably #chrysophytes

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back