Dinoflagellates - dinos a possible cure!? Follow along and see!

Kearneyc77

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see this thread has been inactive for a while. are you still working with building a database? im currently dealing with dinos. recently did an 72 hour black out followed by 12 hours of night time before turning on my lights. 3 weeks later and a 5 gallon h20 change i have a small cluster developing again.

35 gal hexagon saline 32ppm
HOB carbon tetra 30 carbon filter ph 8.4
HOB octo skimmer ammonia 0ppm
2 ocellaris N03 0ppm
2 pajama cardinals NO4 10ppm
1 purple orchid P04 0.12 - 0.16ppm
1 watchman gobi Temp 78
Rose BTA Kh 13 - just changed to red sea salt from instant ocean 2/2 inconsistancies
duncan
strawberry cephastra
jackolantern lepto
jigsaw favia
toadstool
pipeorgan
misc. zoas
mushrooms

Rich Klein

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I beat Dino and got the T-Shirt. Not really a believer in chemical treatment, blackouts and the like. IMO Dino is caused most of the time today by starting with dry rock (no micro-fauna) and then battling the uglies by driving the nutrients to 0. I beat it by dosing Nitrate and Phosphorous, and dosing copods. I encouraged algae growth and the Dino went away, as did the algae later as my tank matured.

chinw76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok this thread went way off topic. Anyways all my fish are in another tank. I have a red sea reefer 250 which is 65 gallons total. I ran dino x for 24 days, it seemed to work but dinos came back and growing with treatment on my sand bed. I have been dealing with dinos for over 2 years. So I stopped my dino x treatment, did a 20 gallon water changed and dosed Clorox at 5.5ml to the tank. I assume I have about 55 gallons of water volume with live rock and sand. When the water was draining from the tank, I blasted the sand with rodi water to kill the dino. I bleached everything, water storage, nets, brushes and utensils. I will dose in 12 hrs and do this for 3 days. I couldn't read all 233 pages but I made it to 136 and I decided to pull the trigger. Since I am ready to tear down the tank and lost many corals due to different treatments, I have nothing to lose. Wish me luck.

bevo5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I beat Dino and got the T-Shirt. Not really a believer in chemical treatment, blackouts and the like. IMO Dino is caused most of the time today by starting with dry rock (no micro-fauna) and then battling the uglies by driving the nutrients to 0. I beat it by dosing Nitrate and Phosphorous, and dosing copods. I encouraged algae growth and the Dino went away, as did the algae later as my tank matured.

That's the plan I'm taking. Keep the nutrients high. Keep the lights going. Get some other algae growing. Just today I noticed some green starting to grow on some rocks. I'll take it. Anything green means less brown.

I'm also adding clumps of cheato to a fuge. I dunno if that's the right step or not, but I figure it's the same as growing algae in the tank. Hopefully it will use the nutrients faster than the dinos.

I haven't scraped my glass in a couple weeks. I do not enjoy that. I might just bite the bullet and do it. I can take looking at brown sand, but I can't even see into the tank now and that's boring.

Rich Klein

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok this thread went way off topic. Anyways all my fish are in another tank. I have a red sea reefer 250 which is 65 gallons total. I ran dino x for 24 days, it seemed to work but dinos came back and growing with treatment on my sand bed. I have been dealing with dinos for over 2 years. So I stopped my dino x treatment, did a 20 gallon water changed and dosed Clorox at 5.5ml to the tank. I assume I have about 55 gallons of water volume with live rock and sand. When the water was draining from the tank, I blasted the sand with rodi water to kill the dino. I bleached everything, water storage, nets, brushes and utensils. I will dose in 12 hrs and do this for 3 days. I couldn't read all 233 pages but I made it to 136 and I decided to pull the trigger. Since I am ready to tear down the tank and lost many corals due to different treatments, I have nothing to lose. Wish me luck.

Perhaps you should have read the string from newest to oldest. All your doing is killing all of the micro fauna, which is the opposite of what you should be doing. The objective is not to kill Dino, but to promote the growth of micro and macro fauna that will outcompete the Dino. Chemical treatments do not work. Dosing Nitrate, Phosphate and Silicate, and adding Pods, worms etc. is the key. Been there, done that, and have the T-shirt.

Robert Binz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not gonna read through these 233 pages lol. Short answer: did metroplex work?

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not gonna read through these 233 pages lol. Short answer: did metroplex work?
Agreed... anyone feel like summarizing

metroplex reduced the population for 1-2 weeks. It was found that the ostreopsis formed cysts and increased in population after that.
additionally, another strain of dinos, amphidinium didn't even seem to have their population reduced by a big dose of metro at all.
now you're caught up. :)

Reefer1978

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
metroplex reduced the population for 1-2 weeks. It was found that the ostreopsis formed cysts and increased in population after that.
additionally, another strain of dinos, amphidinium didn't even seem to have their population reduced by a big dose of metro at all.

Good man, I would have said "Go read 233 pages you lazy bums".

KnightlyBuzz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks!!!

Kingston

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Am I dealing with dinos?

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Vwluv10338

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
29g started in march with dry rock, bare bottom
Radion XR15 and orphec blue led bar
Alk 8.9
Ca 340
No3- 1.5
P04- 0.08
5g fuge Full of macro kit opposite tank lights
Two small clowns
Clown goby
Fire fish
Royal gramma

A few months ago I had dinos when my nitrates were 0.25 and my p04 hit 0 on my Hanna ULR. I dosed nitrates and phosphates and they went away. I had begun cutting the time back on my fuge trying to keep the nutrients up. Now they are back and I hadn’t hit zero but I tried the same things. Removed my skimmer cup and dosed to get nitrates up to 4 while running the fuge 24/7 to outcompete the dinos. Dosing photo, dosing MB7, etc. It wasn’t working and it was much worse than before. I realized the other other change I had made was moving from kalk in my ATO to All For Reef from a doser.

I have read a few people that seemed to get dinos after dosing trace elements and All For Reef has trace. I had been dosing Red Sea abc trace but not really at the level they say which is why I moved to All for reef. I have gone back to kalk and in just one day it seems to be better. I will begin reducing the 24/7 fuge light and monitoring it and going back to what I was doing one thing at a time before going back to All For Reef and seeing if the trace elements were an issue.

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alk 8.9
Ca 340
No3- 1.5
P04- 0.08
Two small clowns
Clown goby
Fire fish
Royal gramma

A few months ago I had dinos when my nitrates were 0.25 and my p04 hit 0 on my Hanna ULR. I dosed nitrates and phosphates and they went away. I had begun cutting the time back on my fuge trying to keep the nutrients up. Now they are back and I hadn’t hit zero but I tried the same things. Removed my skimmer cup and dosed to get nitrates up to 4 while running the fuge 24/7 to outcompete the dinos. Dosing photo, dosing MB7, etc. It wasn’t working and it was much worse than before. I realized the other other change I had made was moving from kalk in my ATO to All For Reef from a doser.

I have read a few people that seemed to get dinos after dosing trace elements and All For Reef has trace. I had been dosing Red Sea abc trace but not really at the level they say which is why I moved to All for reef. I have gone back to kalk and in just one day it seems to be better. I will begin reducing the 24/7 fuge light and monitoring it and going back to what I was doing one thing at a time before going back to All For Reef and seeing if the trace elements were an issue.
Quality cured live rock "cures" dinos.

joshwaggs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alk 8.9
Ca 340
No3- 1.5
P04- 0.08
Two small clowns
Clown goby
Fire fish
Royal gramma

I have read Molybdenum can magic some dinos to your tank. It is usually found in trace element additives. I dont know what trace elements are in All for Reef, but it might be something to check.

libster87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it looks like I’m rehashing an old thread but I’ve been dealing with Dino’s for a while now and was just short of completely tearing down my tank and starting over when I found this.

I tried the water through paper towel method and I’m almost positive the algae is dinos as it reformed into string in less than an hour.

I’d like to try dosing the metronidazole but unfortunately I live in Canada and we have a complete ban on every useful or useless medication that exist for the hobby. Is there anyone here that would know how to get it here?

libster87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even if you order it online?
I haven’t searched extensively online for it but I tend to buy a lot of things from Amazon.ca, if I switch it to their .com site I could find it for about $10 but when I logged in and set my mailing address to a Canadian one it’s only offered through secondary sellers for ~$18 and then $15 shipping unfortunately

Back