Dinoflagellates - dinos a possible cure!? Follow along and see!

FF337

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the life span of dinos? If this dosing makes them sterile, they will die, decompose and be eaten by bacteria over time?

OP
OP
twilliard

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are using seachem metroplex. Lifespan is 14 days and majority of it is removed via mechanical filtration.
Spot on info here!
I took a sample today of a mat in our frag tank. To my surprise there was not a single dinoflagellate cell in the sample just spirulina
Seems to be 14 days is the max for cell survival.

roadie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just adding this because it worked for me , I have three tanks and was rearranging rock from one tank to another and had them in all three tank just did three day black out on all three they are completely gone

OP
OP
twilliard

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a good question about the 3 days of black out.
Do people actually know what happens to the individual cells during this time?
During dark hours do people know they actually become water born?
Not to discredit blackouts, but from my research into the cells a blackout doesn't kill them. They disperse.
I agree you can reduce population in that method but does a person extract every cell within the water column?
These guys are smart ;)

FF337

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are using seachem metroplex. Lifespan is 14 days and majority of it is removed via mechanical filtration.

Yes however my question is since zooanthelle and dinoflagellates are basically one in the same. Metro damages or sterilizes Dinos. Even though it is removed, the damage is done to the Dinos. Does it affect the zooanthelle long term?

I'm not bucking this idea as it is great for the hobby. But are the side effects only a pretty clean Dino free tank or is does it mean slow or stalled growth on sps or other coral?

OP
OP
twilliard

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes however my question is since zooanthelle and dinoflagellates are basically one in the same. Metro damages or sterilizes Dinos. Even though it is removed, the damage is done to the Dinos. Does it affect the zooanthelle long term?

I'm not bucking this idea as it is great for the hobby. But are the side effects only a pretty clean Dino free tank or is does it mean slow or stalled growth on sps or other coral?
This is what this work is about
This is one of the questions I seek an answer to.
I observe the corals multiple times a day.
They great thing about coral is they let you know when they are stressed. One of those mechanisms is the expulsion of zooanthelle.
Now if the zooanthelle is harmed through DNA there would be no reproduction of cells stressing the coral.
On a biological standpoint I have not witnessed these behaviors in my corals as of day 15.

cowboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That's a great question from what I have been researching with @twilliard as far as I can tell the coral itself actually protecting the zooanthelle through its slime coat as will as its own flesh.
Further I have been treating my tanks with metronidazole since I have been in the hobby. My coral show no signs of RTN or STN in fact my montipora in the tanks actually grow very rapidly. Along with my Duncan's and frogs pawn and hammer corals.

cowboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't believe so but I would recommend not to allow metronidazole that is not dissolved in solution to come into contact with the mouth

cowboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if I did my math correctly about 1 gram

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20160622_194904~2.jpg

RMS18

I keep water chemistry as my hobby
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
During the 21 days are you performing regular water changes? Or no water changes for 21 days?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back