Dinoflagellates - dinos a possible cure!? Follow along and see!

cowboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perform regular maintenance on the tank no need to to adjust other then cleaning any mechanical filtration more often.

FL_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Twilliard, I noticed that you can remove what you are dosing by adding carbon to the system. Have you done this yet? Also are you still dosing at this time or have you stopped?

reefer1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick question.
Do you dose daily or every other day?
I see conflicting information. In the thread I recall seeing 125mg/10gal/day. And elsewhere "the water column has up to 2x the dose starting on day 2 or 3" - this would imply dosing every day.

Alanc425

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick question.
Do you dose daily or every other day?
I see conflicting information. In the thread I recall seeing 125mg/10gal/day. And elsewhere "the water column has up to 2x the dose starting on day 2 or 3" - this would imply dosing every day.

125mg/10gallons each day for 3 days.

We were seeing that metroplex is reef safe even up to 2x the dose because it stays active in your system for 48 hours.

Greenstreet.1

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well my 1.0g is in only difference is I did not put all that settled in the cup in the sump and I did not calculate for the sump/fug

Day two dose is in

Day three and last dose in

Regular weekly WC Sunday let the watching game start.

Last edited:

cowboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The beautiful thing about this stuff I have intentionally over dosed and I believe @twilliard has as well, the live stock coral and inverts showed no ill effects from the higher concentration. With that said please don't do this yourself as myself and twilliard understand and accept the risks when we pull stunts like this. So dosing everyday at the recommended doseage should be fine, and if you check eBay you can get seachem metronidazole 100% instead of metroplex at 70% metronidazole. Just search metronidazole and look for the bottle labeled metronidazole.
Also if you under dose it will still effect the dinos I was only using approximately 125 Mg one scoop mixed with my fish food for 10 days and still had drastic affect on the dinos.

OP
OP
twilliard

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Twilliard, I noticed that you can remove what you are dosing by adding carbon to the system. Have you done this yet? Also are you still dosing at this time or have you stopped?
I ran a small amount of carbon at day 10 but more for water smell than anything.
I have not done any water changes since day 1 just enough pulled out to do my bucket test which was another indication it was working. They just settled at the bottom by day 4.

Lights are not on yet but can't wait to see day 16 results!

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am very anxious to begin this treatment. I should have never used that waste away stuff. This dr. Tims waste away stuff has caused a bateria bloom and is taking forever to bounce back. It's been 38 hours and no change. I really don't want to drive another 4 hours round trip for bottled bacteria. I also dont want to lose my live stock either. Ugh..

OP
OP
twilliard

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am very anxious to begin this treatment. I should have never used that waste away stuff. This dr. Tims waste away stuff has caused a bateria bloom and is taking forever to bounce back. It's been 38 hours and no change. I really don't want to drive another 4 hours round trip for bottled bacteria. I also dont want to lose my live stock either. Ugh..
Waste away..
All this does is add bacteria to the water. Does this help at all for protazoal outbreaks?
Also look what happens to no3 levels?
This IMO is the wrong approach biologically
Sorry you are experiencing that problem!
Waste away would be an easy way to upset biological balance
http://www.drtimsaquatics.com/natural-aquarium-cleaner

OP
OP
twilliard

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i think. dinos dont care which team you are on. they are there to mess up some expensive coral. regardless of the aqua xxx equipment you sport.
I see you have a scope on the way!
It should be standard with today's aquaria ;)

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Waste away..
All this does is add bacteria to the water. Does this help at all for protazoal outbreaks?
It was an ignorant mistake on my behalf. My issue looks more like brown sludge and snot than stringy strands of brown algae. It was an observation error on my part. I never had doubt in your method, twilliard. But I also didn't think waste away was unsafe either.

RMS18

I keep water chemistry as my hobby
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have caused bacteria blooms before, they go away. I did a 20% water change and ran uv. Within 3-4 days water was clear again.

OP
OP
twilliard

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here it is day 16
I took a peak in the filter, no overflow so I can say today I do not have to clean the filter out for the first time.
Dinoflagellates cells are at a bare minimum
I think I will try to find some cells today (if I can) and put up a cell comparison shot.
These guys are done ;)

RMS18

I keep water chemistry as my hobby
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here it is day 16
I took a peak in the filter, no overflow so I can say today I do not have to clean the filter out for the first time.
Dinoflagellates cells are at a bare minimum
I think I will try to find some cells today (if I can) and put up a cell comparison shot.
These guys are done ;)
I'm starting tomorrow! I can't wait lol I have so much rage built up over these bugs. [emoji35]

FL_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Waste away..

I totally disagree, this is a tryed and true method of treatment and it works, that is why I brought it here to R2R. I may not be able to tell you on a molecular level of what is does to the cell ( don't have a microscope) but I and others have used this process with 100% success. Also I have never had any coral loss with this. Let's not discredit something that works bud. With that being said, I also believe in what you are doing here too as I'd said from the beginning when we first started talking about this on my thread. Remember there is always more than one way to skin a cat, lol

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 34.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 16.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back