Dinoflagellates - dinos a possible cure!? Follow along and see!

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi again members and visitors of R2R
Here I will be starting a thread on the possible breakthrough of a dinoflagellate solution.
I know scepticism by many and I accept any critical thinking.
I may be referencing information from a few other threads that I have posted information on.

@Alanc425 has agreed to be the first to help with this venture and by sending me a sample for initial pictures and possible identification. I thank you for reaching out to me!
@cowboy my friend please tag along and add your thoughts and ideas since you were the first to introduce to me this amazing find.
Members are an important part of the work I do so please share your thoughts.
This is just the beginning and a finish is soon to come.

So here we go the dreaded dinoflagellates
Product used is metronidazole

Last edited:

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't wait to see a matching pic of the FTS invasion + cell level so we can form morph associations to matched ID great idea T

Last edited:
OP
OP
twilliard

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I am asking members of R2R please if you are dealing with dinoflagellates consider sending me a sample for pictures and possible identification to be uploaded into this thread.
Wanting to start a database here :)

Last edited:

puffy127

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sent twilliard a sample last week and he identified it as dinos. I started dosing seachem metroplex on Friday and just did the 3rd dose today. I have a 75g DT and ~25g in the sump, so total volume of around 100g. I have been dosing 1,250 mg per day (125 mg per 10g). According to seachem, the included scoop is 125 mg, so I just dosed 10 scoops per day. (Seachem's dosing on the label is 1-2 scoops per 10g, but they also tell you to remove inverts). So far no visible effects on the corals (mainly euphyllia and a few monti caps) or anemone.

Alanc425

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sent twilliard a sample last week and he identified it as dinos. I started dosing seachem metroplex on Friday and just did the 3rd dose today. I have a 75g DT and ~25g in the sump, so total volume of around 100g. I have been dosing 1,250 mg per day (125 mg per 10g). According to seachem, the included scoop is 125 mg, so I just dosed 10 scoops per day. (Seachem's dosing on the label is 1-2 scoops per 10g, but they also tell you to remove inverts). So far no visible effects on the corals (mainly euphyllia and a few monti caps) or anemone.

Good to know, was trying to figure out seachems dosing as well and ended up at 1 scoop/10g too.

OP
OP
twilliard

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you guys as this is just the beginning of this. We all need to confirm the proper dosing of seachem metroplex. I currently do not have this on hand but will soon to scale it.
@puffy127 I will be adding your photos soon to this.

OP
OP
twilliard

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
twilliard

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK guys just got done doing the math.
What I am using has the exact same mg as metronidazole verses excipients so we are on the right track!

Alanc425

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found the info on seachem's website:

http://www.seachem.com/metroplex.php

Under FAQs, the 2nd question, they state that each scoop contains 125 mg.

Nice thank you for the find!
So there we go guys 125mg per scoop.
This will be successful ;)

+1!, I feel dumb now sitting here counting how many scoops are in the entire container :oops:

Just dropped my first dose in as well. No immediate reaction to fish, all anemones, or any polyp reaction on softies or sps/lps . (compared to them immediately closing up for hours after dosing h202)

Didn't cause my skimmer to go crazy either :D

Last edited:
OP
OP
twilliard

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
True this will have no change in the water surface tension. All equipment should run as normal minus any carbon.

OP
OP
twilliard

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is @puffy127 microscope images of the sample he sent me

puffy1.png puffy2.png puffy3.png

Species is not identified as of now.
What caught my attention to this particular species is the appendage that is noticeable from each cell. Best seen in the center photo.
I think a database would serve good here on R2R on dinoflagellate species

Last edited:
OP
OP
twilliard

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dinoflagellates and here are the questions I am after for an answer.
-how are they introduced
-how do they interact either in a positive way or a negative way to the aquarium
-how can we identify dinoflagellates from bacteria in a practical manner
-what is their survival mechanism
-do they all share the same trait of dna structure (they are protozoans )
-is there or can be, one common solution
- *new* how does metronidazole effect the state of zooanthelle (which are dinoflagellate )
-*new* what is the trigger of rapid cell production (this one will be hard)
-*new* what QT/dip/transfer practices will prevent introduction of dinos into the DT

This is the beginning of my list :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
twilliard

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well guys I may have answered one of my own questions.
It is sad to say but I have transferred the species of dinoflagellates from our frag tank to my main tank.
Here is an image of a glass scraping I just did (I have been working on seeing if cyanobacteria is still present which its not)
Check out this image
display diatom and dino cells.png
Sorry it was a quick shot as they are very active.
The cell you see on the right is the exact species from our frag tank. Sorry its a 1200 shot.
So dinoflagellates are spread and not a natural occurrence in our enclosed systems.
I transferred a frag into the main tank BEFORE the VISIBLE appearance of the dino outbreak in our frag tank.

Alanc425

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My biggest worry going into this was my corals and inverts. But its now nighttime and all my shrimp, hermits, worms and snails (down to the baby trochus and small collonistas through 3" turbo ) are out and its business like usual. No visual impact to anyone few hours after first dose. Happy so far, hopefully metro will affect my dino.

Last edited:
Back