Dinoflagellates id help

Gregpetro

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please see attached pictures. My tank is a little under a year old. My cheato stripped my tank to 0 phos 0 nit and boom dinoflagellates. I am dosing nit and phos and have them at around 3ppm nit and .03 ppm phos. Manuals removed the binos and put my uv sterilizer in the tank at a slow gpm. My question is can anyone I'd this dino. The only thing that was really noticeable was how much they spun around when looking at them in a microscope. Any help would be great.

20230504_200650.jpg 20230504_200636.jpg 20230423_160910.jpg

Attachments

• 20230504_200405.mp4
    24.2 MB

19Mateo83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I had something like this in one of my tanks, I’m curious as to what the consensus is. Following along.

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like Ostreopsis to me but I am new to the forum so you should probably ignore me. For what it is worth, if it is Ostreopsis, UV will take it out in a day or two. Whatever it is, good luck getting it in check.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like ostreopsis to me too.

OP
OP
G

Gregpetro

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Incase anyone is following this thread I wanted to give an update. After raising my nitrates and phosphate to a detectable level nit 5ppm phos .036 I began running a uv in my tank for about 2 weeks. My tank is a 20g IM aio with about 13.5 gallons of actual water in it. I put the uv in the tank its the IM 11w model with the pump set to its slowest setting. Ran it just like that with a reduced lighting cycle and I would say knocked back the dinoflagellates about 75% and just held them there. Then I noticed what I think was a different type of dinoflagellates or creeping up. The problem seemed to stay steady unless I killed the lights or manually removed it. My buddy had used dr tims dino method in the past and turned me onto it. I am currently in the last day of the 3 day black out period while dosing Dr tims refresh. Tomorrow I will be turning the lights back on and starting the 7 days of dosing waste away. I have to say at this point the tank has never looked this clean when I peek in the tank to dose the re fresh. I'll let you guys know how it turns out once it's finished. I'll post a picture tomorrow when I take off the covering. One thing to note I do still run the us I just turn it off for 12 hours post dosing.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back